What was really JBL's finest speaker creation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

It was interesting to see Mazzy's completely restored JBL L-100's in the light wood with the blue grills, and personally, I think they are just so cool. Wish I had a pair just like his. His probably sound so good in his room because he is listening to beautiful crystal clear "digital" sound forever, and those JBL's are doing a spectacular job, oh my did I shoot that analog/hornet's nest with a shotgun blast again??

If I could go back in time, I would have loved to have owned a pair of JBL L300 Summit loudspeakers, as they just looked so cool with their slanted front, and smoked glass top. Take a look and see if you agree! Heck, I want some right now!

[​IMG]

When I viewed this video on YouTube, it just got my old wanter all excited for this loudspeaker all over again.

When I look at the equipment thread on this forum, I rarely see the cool old JBL speakers any longer, and like many of you, they were just a big part of my past, so I would enjoy some old JBL discussions and pics, yes, lots of good pics would be nice. There is a company in Japan that is making the BIG money finding these old vintage JBL speakers and turning them into brand new, "beautifully finished" speakers and placing them in homes all over Japan. I am wondering if there are any customers of Kenrick Audio on this forum that have some of their vintage JBL speakers that have been totally refurbished? Additionally, it would be interesting to see what people's views are in regard to what was the finest JBL speaker design, and remember, lots of pics, that's what gives a thread life! So, what do you have to contribute! Additionally, if you have not seen some of the Kenrick Sound videos on YouTube, and you want to relive the old JBL speaker days, you might enjoy looking at them, it seems to be a successful business indeed, and their finishes appear to be top shelf. I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum that owns a beautiful pair of the JBL L-300 Loudspeaker? :edthumbs:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    jusbe, mech986, bluesky and 8 others like this.
  2. I do pretty much play only CDs through these JBLs down in my office music room. Upstairs is my vinyl setup. I'm not an analogue or digital purist. Room for both here.

But as I wrote elsewhere, these L100s are sort of a nostalgic thing for me as I bought a pair back in 1975 which were stolen in 84. Those were great music years in my life and even though many audiophiles look down at these soeakers, I have a great time listening to them.

[​IMG]

jusbe, mech986, Elofan and 23 others like this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

My older brother had the L-300's when I was 12. This was my introduction to audiophilia. The 2-way home versions of studio monitors, L-19's, have been my front channel since 13 years old.

4. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

The most *collectible*...the $15K PARAGON:[​IMG]

5. Daily Nightly

The next model down...the 4350:[​IMG]

6. Litejazz53

The Paragon and this speaker you picture right here are the ones that Kenrick Stereo reworks for hundreds of people, my gosh, these are so darn big! These or ones almost like these are shown in the YouTube videos being delivered and set up in someone's home. I don't know, but I would think these would sound terrible, just like what they look like, big wooden boxes, but they may be great, would love to hear them. I could however see these behind the screen at a Malco Theater, instead of a Voice of the Theater.

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sneaky Pete and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Daily Nightly

and...the 1968, made in USA, 60wpc SA-600 integrated amp (with mil. spec, glass epoxy circuit boards):[​IMG]

9. Litejazz53

It just looks like such a monstrosity, like a total overkill Zenith magnum console stereo record player X 2, how could anyone buy one of these? I would like to mention I saw one of the Paragons completely refinished by Kenrick in Japan, and the finish they put on this thing was simply unbelievable, and what's more, they used two huge JBL's in combination with the Paragon when they set this mans system up, it was quadruple overkill! yikes! :shake:

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Litejazz53

I would be so surprised if there is someone on the forum with these beautiful JBL L-300 loudspeakers, and even more surprised if someone has purchased some completely refinished and refurbished L-300's. I think the recollection of the L-300 is one of the reasons I purchased the beautiful ADS L-910 and loved them until water damaged them in a plumbing mishap, which was so darn unfortunate. That was another fantastic loudspeaker from the past.

papatwo likes this.
  11. Litejazz53

Maz, pull the fronts off of those babies and give us a good shot of those gleaming white woofers, one quick peek.

12. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

JBL's finest speaker creation? Their blind comparison facility in Northridge.

mech986 and displayname like this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Good god, that is absurd. I would love to have a great pair of jbl's or altecs but the collector value keeps it from being a reasonable choice for me.

16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Rarely to never see vintage JBL's in local stereo resale shops. I'd enjoy getting an opportunity to actually demo the more popular home audio models. It's strange considering how many were made in the 70's/80's. Apparently they were very popular back in the day, esp. on the West Coast. Been here almost all my life and only rarely see them come up on CL.

Klipsch & Advent much more avail here. Truth be told, i don't read a lot of praise for any home JBL loudspeakers. Near field JBL studio monitors get more love, it seems. But i'm not a near field listener.

17. Per request.

[​IMG]

18. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

I do, all original, non-molested, only the 15's were refoamed a while ago. I always see photos of the L300 with the glass top sunk down a bit, bugs me, there's a cardboard/foam piece that goes under the glass, making the glass even with the wood on top, but I digress.

Currently prefer my L150's, xover modded using point to point wiring, huge 12uf beeswax jupiters, mundorf silver/gold/oil up top, sonicaps for the non-series caps, etc., rock that draws you in vs kicking your ass out.

As far as "What was really JBL's finest speaker creation?", not sure, but I did hear a pair of newer K2's that really did thump my chest and blasted me out of the chair with the lowest distortion I ever heard at that volume, not that I listen to music that way, I don't, but it was impressive. My ears didn't hear music the same way again for 2 days.

Possibly the Everest are the finest, have not really heard them well though, and likely will never have that much extra cash.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I don't know. Those blue grills are just as beautiful. :wiggle:

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Someone here posted his after delivery. Had Mac gear too I think.

22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I was at a fellas house that sells used gear in Pensacola, he had those famous monitors everyone raves about. I said "are these" and he stopped me with a "yes". He asks me to pick one up, and that sucker was heavy.
    Not for sale

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, the best sounding JBL out of many fine JBL classics is the K2 Everest. Arguably the finest loudspeaker I ever heard. If not one of the top 3. I love the old 4311b monitor a lot.

24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Makes my Cornwalls look like they need to be on stands!

Dennis0675 and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Want to hear this beautiful beast.

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.