What was really JBL's finest speaker creation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Lacking in midrange presence? Lacking in what? Would you please try to remember and explain what you heard? Are you biased against the Everest?

2. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Nobody would consider these vintage JBL Decade L-26’s to be audiophile, but I’m really enjoying them. Nice and re-foamed, and I got them for only $50 from a friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mech986, Aardvark23, Manimal and 9 others like this.
  3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I had L5's for several years. I really enjoyed them but got "upgradeitis" and sold them on. Very nice speakers.

Walter Koehler and Duke Fame like this.
  4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It comes down to opinion but if you want to know what the pinnacle of JBL design intended for domestic hi-fi, it has to be either the Hartsfield or Paragon.

lonelysea likes this.
  5. Smokeybuns

Smokeybuns Well-Known Member

Imagine looking at a photograph where the trees, the grass, the mountains, the lakes, and the boats are captured perfectly. The appearance is natural, vibrant, and expressive! Now imagine looking at a photograph that is overly saturated, unrealistic, and empty. JBL’s Everest is lacking in every category, whereas the 4355 for example, is beautiful, holographic, and breathtaking! You cannot go wrong with the 4345, 4350, or the totl 4355 Studio Monitors. Greg Timbers IMO made some truly magnificent speakers from the 4300 series. If you own any of them, then you’re lucky. The JBL 4355 is my all-time favorite Studio Monitor though.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks for your observation. Have you compared the Everest side-by-side with the 4355?

7. Smokeybuns

Smokeybuns Well-Known Member

Hearing the Everest and the JBL 4355 in the same room would not be possible for any audiophile (unless someone owned both) :shake:.

The 4355’s came from a friend who bought them from Kenrick Sound, and I got teary–eyed the first time I heard them. The sound is “larger than life” as he puts it.

But it’s very easy to tell the difference between the two. My friend will review them once he’s ready.

8. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Probably the 4320

9. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

JBLs finest speaker creation had to be the L100s if for no other reason than they sold truckloads of that particular model.

10. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

During a tour I was in the listening/evaluation lab at the old facility in Glendale when the L-166 Horizon models had just begun production. Don't know why I didn't buy some. Instead I got two L-65 Jubals that really did not sound as well as one would expect from a JBL in their price range. Traded those for two 4310 WX. Currently have two 4410 & 2 4412 monitors.
    The best loudspeakers I have ever heard, hands down, was a fresh pair of 4343 monitors in a good acoustic environment and a very good system. Hard to describe their uncanny sonic performance. Ca. 1976

mech986 and Doc Diego like this.
  11. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Aloha

JBL L90 just grab a pair in mint conditon with original Boxes
    Must say after extented listing session no chance for the 4312E i got in the house
    will post a pic later
    Cheers
    Wally
    :cheers:

12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I inherited a pair of JBL830's from the 80s. Great sound, no interest in trying to upgrade. To others points, I don't see those in the stores at all.

13. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

The first speakers I bought at age seventeen were JBL L166’s and they served me well until I went into the military. Got into designing and building my own speakers but recently found a set of L212’s with the Bass Energizer for song. Still love the JBL sound!

14. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

[​IMG]

Music To Draw To: Satellite. Kid Koala featuring Emiliana Torrini

15. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

If they heard rather than saw them, they might consider them audiophile....

I had two pair, at one time in a quad setup, but primarily in 2-channel setups.

They were fantastic sounding speakers, I miss them.

mech986, displayname and Galactus2 like this.
  16. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Sweet Memories. I think it was 1974 when I got a pair of Centuries.
    Was the blue grill an option then or was that an after-market buy?

17. These were the original options.

[​IMG]

YpsiGypsy and Galactus2 like this.
  18. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Soooo 70's ^

....in a good way.

Manimal and YpsiGypsy like this.
  19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I don't remember the blue but now that you posted this I do remember the orange. My covers just disintegrated over the years and sometime in the mid '90's they started to buzz and sound like some little piece of something rattling around in them.
    By then I pretty much didn't have time for music as I spent my time at work, preparing for work or recovering from work.
    One Christmas my wife got me a Bose Wave Radio CD Player, it was that and Klipsch computer speakers for me until I retired.
    My current JBL Arena 170's do remind me of my old L-100's but if anyone would like to suggest an upgrade from there I'm all ears.

20. harby

harby Forum Resident

And when teamed up with the right cassette tape,
    [​IMG]

21. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Nice! I remember that vintage Maxell ad ^ but never paid attention to the speaker it was using.

22. I bought my originals in 74/75 and chose the orange foam fronts.

mech986 likes this.
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

Music Direct now sells JBL monitors. Maybe they have been for a while, but I never noticed it before today.

Some of these models sound quite good in the Kenrick videos, warmer than I expected.

pfausto likes this.
  24. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Although maybe not quite "vintage" yet, they're close to vintage. Maybe the last really good series they made. I myself had the L3's and wish I still had them along with my Carver TFM-15CB

[​IMG]

mech986, Gavinyl and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Wow, 4312SE (Special Edition) are $2,500! I believe I paid $400 for my 4311BWX speakers back in the 70's. Would love to hear the Everest DD67000.

Jbl - Music Direct

mech986 and displayname like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.