What was the best CD player you ever had?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bobby Morrow, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

That's a coincidence. My Arcam FMJCD-23 has apparently died, but I have an old Cambridge Audio CD3 in the spares closet that's going to take its place. The CD3 was considered a good player, but the Arcam was special!

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

There is no image in your post, however, when I went to reply I see the image??? :confused:

4. The Oppo BDP103 I currently have. It was marketed as a Blu-ray player of course, but it plays all types of CDs, SACDs, SHM CDs, DVD audio, Blu-ray audio, etc. It's worked flawlessly for nine years now.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. Chemically altered

It's majick! :magoo:

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Either a Sony (disc changer, actually) or a Marantz (cd recorder, actually). I forget the model numbers.

jeffreybh likes this.
  7. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

I’ve had some good Sony CD players (I even have in house my brother’s CDP-XA50ES) and always loved the build quality but the sound never really moved me. IMO they are for the head not for the heart, and because of that I have always use them as CD transports.
    For this is strange coming from the co-inventor of the format. The other half, the Philips/Marantz brand, was very successful with so many great sound CD players. Even other Japanese brands, like Teac, Denon and Pioneer, did more interesting machines sound wise.

For example: my sample of the well regarded CDP-XA50ES (very little use and in mint condition) is indeed boring to listen to compared with a Rega Saturn or the Rotel RCD-971...

8. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

A $70 Sony from PC Richards. Worked for 25 years without a glitch. I’ve got a new Denon 1600ne and had problems with the door and freezing right out of the gate. Not terrible just annoying. Sounds fabulous though.

9. Chemically altered

I have many top shelf players but I like the sound of the XA7ES. They seem more "musical" to me than the XA50ES.

10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

A NAD I guess, but it crashed out after 11 yrs.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for me it's the one I currently have at the time.

12. Michael

I guess it's out of Warranty?...if it is covered I would not put up with any problems it may be causing.

13. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

It is. I’ve been too lazy due to other things going on. I never listen to it and the door thing has happened a couple of times. Fed up dealing with returning, boxing up, post office etc.. I’ve been selling off a number of items from this and other hobbies. So much so I now have to get Jackie, the woman at the post office, a Christmas card. She’s been very helpful!

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

OK, gotcha...thanks...she'll love it!

Earthbound2 likes this.
  15. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Not high end, but great sounding, Marantz CD52 (known for stripped drawer gears, mine replaced) and Marantz DV-7000

Chemically altered likes this.
  16. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Sure, I haven’t listened to the XA7ES.

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Dug out one of my old CD players the other day.

The Technics SL-PG5 was a budget player (£119.95) I bought in 2003. Don’t really know why. Probably just liked the look of it. I used it for a few years then bought a different, more expensive, player.

When I set it up, I was instantly reminded of how smooth it was and how good it sounded. Especially for the price!

The above video isn’t mine, but gives an excellent demonstration of how nice the player is and how fast it tracks CDs!

18. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Cyrus 8SE

Dhreview16 and Gasman1003 like this.
  19. Can Utility

Can Utility Forum Resident

Sony 911E was good. Wish I hadn't sold it.
    It's replacement was a Marantz cd63 ki signature that I never really liked and died after two years.
    I bought a Cyrus dad 3 24 bit and it was in a different league.
    I now have the Cyrus cdi with psx power and its by far the best cd player I've heard.

blair207, Bobby Morrow and Gasman1003 like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A friend has a Technics from the late 90s that has lasted him since then. Considering how many they sold, the old Technics players should be common and cheap but they don't appear in charity shops and car boot sales like you'd expect. No quality separate CD players seem to.

sunspot42 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Funnily enough, when I was going to send you a CD player, this was one I considered!

Meaning no offence, I’m kind of glad I didn’t.:D

I have 3 Technics players, this, of course, plus ones from 1987 and 1994. They’re all great machines. They really don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

sunspot42 and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not at all, I'm very happy indeed with the Sony! :)

I just keep my eyes out for any cheap decent separates and never see anything. It won't do any harm to have a couple of back ups.

Eric_Generic and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Certainly not.

Sometimes I see old CD players in charity shops, but I’ve never taken a chance on one.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They would have to be ones that look like they haven't been bashed about and still have the remote.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

You don’t see good ones very often.

A few months ago I saw a Panasonic CD player. I’ve never seen one before. Must have been a very early model as it was quite small and ‘blocky’. It was £15 and I was tempted, but also fearful there was something wrong with it.

When I went in the shop again it had been sold.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.