What was the first album you bought with your own money?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James I, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Purchased in the Summer of 1982. A coin toss between this and Moving Pictures, which I bought a month later....

[​IMG]

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Copy-pasted answer from last time this was asked:

I don't have a clear memory of this. The problem is that I come from a family of music lovers where we all shared albums--we treated it like a big communal pile of music, one of countless kinda libertine/hippie ethos in my family, and I was spoiled in that my mom would buy albums for me, or "on my suggestion" rather, to add to the communal pile. (Not that I was only spoiled in that way, but that's definitely one way I was spoiled.)

I can't clearly remember buying albums with my own money until I was 12-13 years old. My own money in that I earned it via a combination of gigging--I started getting paid to play when I was 12, and also from helping part-time in my dad's shop, which I started doing when I was 11 or maybe even 10--my dad worked as a mechanic and body man, where he wound up doing a lot of custom car work via his own shop. He started paying me to help out a couple hours a few days per week after school--I mostly wanted money to buy musical equipment, so doing stuff around his shop for a couple hours was an excuse for me to be able to get what I wanted without it seeming like I was being too spoiled, I suppose.

So given the above, one of the first albums I can recall clearly buying with my own money (though it wasn't necessarily the first, and I also bought singles prior to it) was Elton John's Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy when it was new--I was still 12 when that came out in May of 1975. But there were a ton of albums that were more or less mine that we owned prior to that. And I had been listening to music voraciously long before that--at least since I was five, say, via both our family cache of albums, via my dad's jukeboxes, and via albums I could borrow from a few close relatives who had different musical niches they specialized in.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen -- Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, bought at the Record Bar in Eastland Mall in Charlotte, NC.

It was the 80s and I was 8 or 9 years old -- I tried to buy it at least in part with $2 bills I'd been given by family members over the years, and the guy behind the counter didn't want me to do that so reached into his own pocket so I had enough for the purchase. Will never forget it.

4. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

My Let it Be is fake...or is it?
    Lots of other info with a quick forum search!
    :righton:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Can’t remember which album I first purchased with my own money, but I do remember the 45:

[​IMG]

Buddybud likes this.
  6. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I'm 99% sure I bought this first before I got A Night at the Opera.

Buddybud likes this.
  7. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

This little classic:

[​IMG]

Back in 68 with money I had saved from chores.

geo50000, stevef, 51IS and 3 others like this.
  9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Not one I would have expected! :)

I have fond memories of going to Farrington Records at lunchtimes.

10. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

It wasn't my first, but it and Satanic Majesties were only a few days apart...

Buddybud likes this.
  11. Jemspeed

Jemspeed Well-Known Member

Iron Maiden Killers on cassette.

Buddybud likes this.
  12. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

It might have been this in 1973, but I'm not sure whether I paid for this myself or got it as a gift
    [​IMG]

If not, then it was probably this in 1975
    [​IMG]

However, the real start of the journey was in 1979 with this
    [​IMG]
    (Incase the images disappear, they are, top to bottom The New Seekers "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma", Sweet "Desolation Boulevard", Elvis Costello & The Attractions "Armed Forces")

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

14. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Bought it new when it was released,loved it then,still love it,in all it's Reverb drenched glory :) and still have it.Sounded so good cranked up on the big console stereo in the living room.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    51IS, NumberEight and Buddybud like this.
  15. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Do record tokens count as your own money? If so it was either John Lennon's Rock n Roll or The Beatles Abbey Road, bought at the same time after Christmas 1975. I was 11.

If it has to be something I saved up for from my pocket money it was either Wings Wild Life or Abba's Greatest Hits. I can't remember which was first but the latter was definitely early 1976.

Buddybud likes this.
  16. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday back in 1967.

It remains one of my all time favourite LPs.

Richard

17. James I

James I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice. I found this CD by chance a month ago, I didn't know I had it so I imagine my parents bought it.

Buddybud likes this.
  18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I did not have a record player (nor did my parents) until xmas 71 (I was fourteen and a half). My first album purchase Jan 72 was Every Picture Tells a Story, £1.99 from the local FW Woolworth.

Timos and Buddybud like this.
  19. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

The Queen is Dead- The Smiths.

Bought in early 1987. I was 12/13, dressed in a second hand black coat from Age Concern and wearing a tie in secondary school (the only one). I don't think I've ever got cooler (or smellier).

Its either still sat in a plastic bag in my ex's loft or they've sold it, and told me its mysteriously lost.

Bought Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder new and still own it.

Buddybud likes this.
  20. wabrit

wabrit from gardens where we feel secure

K-Tel volume 1 (in the UK), in the early 1970s.

21. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

22. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

the Physical Grafitti LP

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  23. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I walked into a CD store around 1991 or so and picked up Van Halen's 1984 and Def Leppard's Pyromania. The clerk recommended Van Halen's Fair Warning, so I got that one, too.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  24. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Either ‘Now 8’ or ‘Hunting High And Low’ by a-ha, on cassette. From Boots. It was in 1986.

Yes! Boots sold music, once upon a time! I also bought my first personal stereo from there. You had to stop the tape, turn it over and press fast-forward to rewind it.

25. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

Journey's Frontiers album, on cassette, from a record store in South County Center mall in St Louis.

gitters likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.