What was the first CD that you bought??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Caldwell, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I bought my first CD player during the Christmas season of 1987 -- a Yamaha single-disc player. I was still using it until last September.

The first CD I owned, a Christmas present, was Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen. Over the next few days, I used some of my Christmas money to add several Capitol Beatles CDs to the collection; eventually I got them all, then I got the two Past Masters volumes the week they came out in early 1988. After that, the collection built up very slowly, though. I still bought new releases on vinyl and reissues/compilations on CD. Even today, I still follow that rule as much as I can.

2. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Alan Parsons Project - Stereotomy, 1987. The title track was just hitting the air waves back then and it caught my fancy. I also bought my first ever CD player at that time. It was an el cheapo Sears LXI series (lol) player. I say el cheapo now, but back then it set me back around 250 clams.

Ya know, I can't remember the second one.

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Glenn Gould - The Goldberg Variations
    (Just got a new remasterd (SBM) copy of it in Europe)

4. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

November 1986: Journey "Raised on Radio" at Hi-Fi Buys. The disk came with the Sony portable Disc-Man I purchased. I still have the CD but the Disc Man bought the farm in 1991. That disk still sounds good today. It doesn't sound shrill like some other CDs I bought later on.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I do have this CD as well and love it.

6. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

I was vinyl all the way until the mid 90's when I finally got talked into my first DCC gold CDs.

I'd actually had a CD player for a while but had never used it. Now, I have quite a collection, including just about all of the DCC Golds.

I still love my LP's though :love:

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

and when did you buy it?

I bought my first CD in the late spring of 1986, the CD single of Peter Gabriel's song 'Big Time.' Besides a long mix of the title track, it also had 'Across the River' (featuring Stewart Copeland on drums) and the album version of 'No Self Control' (w/ killer drums by Phil Collins). Since his back catalogue didn't come out even as UK imports for another year or so, it was cool having that latter song right off the bat.

I didn't get my own CD player for several months longer (poor grad student days) so I'd schlep 'Big Time' around with me to friends places who had players:)

I think my next purchase, which I now regret selling, was a Japanese import compilation of early Beatles singles, up through 'Help.' None of the Beatles catalogue was out domestically so I had to get this. Why I sold it, grrrr.....

Ere

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (1984?)

mud-

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

a used copy of the Very Best of The Righteous Brothers...Unchained Melody

10. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Van Halen: 5150. I bought it in 1987, I think. I still have it.

impalaboy likes this.
  11. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The first 2 CDs I purchased where the Toshiba EMI issues of Abbey Road and Tug Of War, when they first came out in Japan. I didn't get a CD player for at least a year after I bought those, although I was able to borrow a player for my local Tech HiFi to listen to them. That was in the days when the first CD players were introduced at the $100 price point. The player I borrowed was a vertical loader. The door opened up as a cassette deck does.

I still remember being upset about the hiss in Abbey Road. I've learned since then....

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I think it was the Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street about 1984?

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Nirvana - "Nevermind;" 1992.

So I was a late CD bloomer. Hey, I was eleven...

14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Close friends, knowing my music jones, gave us a single CD player as a pre-wedding gift, in late 1987. Since it was a joint gift, no pun intended, my wife and I went CD shopping together. After much negotiation, we agreed on a Motown hits collection.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

chicago II and jackson browne"s "world in motion" on the same day.

both used.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First CD I ever saw was Japanese Sony: Journey "Escape". MCA's Dan Westbrook brought it back from Japan and gave it to me. I had the only player in the entire company.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Madonna's "Like A Virgin" December 1984. I didn't get a CD player until seven months later.

18. Matt

Matt New Member

Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff's "Summertime."

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

A used CD of Robin Hitchcock and the Egyptians "Element of Light". I bought it in the Spring of 1987 (for the bonus tracks). I received a CD player as a gift during the Christmas of 1987. My first two CDs after that were, IIRC, Hüsker Dü's "Zen Arcade" and The Beatles' "Abbey Road".

Regards,

20. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

CCR - Chronicles (1984)

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It was Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms...

22. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

The Alarms "Declaration", I'm guessing at early to mid '84. I bought the CD player in an electronics store that didn't sell discs. I had to run across the street into a mall to pick up a CD, but it was almost 9pm and they were shutting down. I grabbed The Alarm disc because of the all too important DDD designation. Really crappy sounding disc, but I remember being impressed with how QUIET the background was. I still have it, I don't think I've played it since 1986 or so.

23. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Mine was Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck in 1984 or 85

24. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I held on to my cassettes until I was about 14 years old. My father had about two hundred cd's by 1993. After drooling over his collection I decided (wisely) to stop buying cassettes. I got a Sony Discman and hooked it up to my cheesy cassette boombox.

The first two discs I bought were:

-Styx: Paradise Theater (still one of my all time faves. Nothing ever goes as planned is worth the price of the disc alone).

-Jethro Tull: Original Masters (One of the best hits albums by anyone, period).

I probably now own about 500 discs. On average I buy one or two a week (more since I moved to Hawaii).

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I bought 3 at one time in spring of 1989-

Whitesnake- Whitesnake
    Kiss- Creatures of The Night
    Kiss- Double Platinum or Smashes, Thrashes , & Hits. I can't remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.