What was the first CD that you bought??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Caldwell, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member

In the spring of 1986, I bought my first CD player (Yamaha), and went directly to the music store and bought Pretenders self-titled and Fleetwood Mac, "Rumours."

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Led Zep 4 in 1990. Didn't get a CD player until a few months later. While shopping for a player I remember that all of the sales clerks went on and on about 8X oversampling and other nonsense. Even at 15 my BS detector was going off.......

Chris

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on June 1, 1987. I didn't even get a compact disc player until five months later.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2 in early 1985.... the same day I bought my "portable" Sony Discman D-5 . Followed, a few months later, by John Mellencamp's Scarecrow & Bob Dylan's Biograph box.

5. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Same here, given to me by dealer with my Nakamichi OMS 7. Nak long gone but still have the disc.

6. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

David Sylvian - Secrets Of The Beehive

Bought it early 1988 and bought my first Sony CDP-302 the very next day because I couldn't wait any longer to see what all the fuss was about regarding those round silver disc's.

That disc still sounds beautiful to this day so somebody did a nice job of recording and mastering; even back then! :D

7. Mike

Mike New Member

Grateful Dead - For The Faithful on Pair Records. I think it was 1986.

8. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith

November 1984

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Mine was Van Morrison's TUPELO HONEY, a birthday gift from my employees. I didn't have a CD player, and blew my next paycheck on a Sony single disc unit. I don't remember the year! But it did start me buying music again, from which I had taken a sabbatical of several years.

10. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Bob Dylan - "INFIDELS" because it was "DDD". That was THE thing to look for at the time. Or so I thought so.

11. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

And you've been enjoying "Perfect Sound Forever" ever since, right, Steve?

12. bbush32

bbush32 New Member

The bought three on my first CD shopping trip in 1987:
    The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Rush - 2112
    Triumph - Just a Game

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That Journey CD sounded damn close to the actual master tape (as I found out later).

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The first CD we bought may say something about our musical preferences. I imgine that in those days, it took a lot of motivation to buy a particular title.

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

"A Hard Day's Night" Feb. 1987. I remember the disappointment I felt when I realized it was in mono:( I remember thinking "Hey, this doesn't really sound any better than my vinyl.... what's all the hype about?

16. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

MFSL Dark Side of the Moon, December, 1991.

17. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

It was May of 1987: I bought four at once...just the beginning of my binge buying. I don't remember which one I picked out first, but three were replacements for cassettes that got ripped off.

MOTLEY CRUE - Shout At The Devil
    IRON MAIDEN - Powerslave
    KISS - Animalize
    BEATLES - Hard Day's Night.

As you can tell, I was a bit of a metal-head. I have since expanded my listening range to include R&B and jazz, but back then I was your basic rocker.

:D

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Boston Boston in 1987. I was 17 and didn't have my own player yet. As a result, I played the disc in my parents' systems. I remember immediately dubbing the CD to cassette so that I could "come close" to hearing the CD in my bedroom, in the car, and on my Walkman. None of my friends had CDs back then, so they were in awe when I bought the first disc. :)

19. KeithH

Steve said:

So, what were your initial impressions of the disc?

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, I thought that CD's would be great, and that my record collection could be thrown out!

The Journey CD sounded very similar to my LP version; lacking in life, no midrange, too much "breathy air" on top and wonky bass. I knew it wasn't the fault of the CD, but of the mixing engineer. (NEVER MIX YOUR ALBUM LOUD AND ON HORNS, SONNY).

21. KeithH

Steve, interesting, and thanks for the tip! I'll remember that! ;)

22. floyd

floyd Senior Member

My dad and I got a cd player within the first year they came out ( I dont know what year that was) it was a Denon model that the disc sat in vertical. The fist disc was Eric Clapton "Time Pieces" that was some music I knew we could agree on.

23. cdice

cdice New Member

First CD Purchase...

My first CD purchase was either ABC's "Lexicon Of Love" or Kraftwerk's "Computer World"--I can't remember. I DO remember my third CD ever, and that's because it sounded so God-awlful!!! It was Scorpions "Animal Magnetism". It was so shrill....I mean...like razor blades on the ear drums. All highs and tinny, thin, painful...No bass, either. Period. Non existent. That Scorpions CD made me go back to listening to vinyl for months, wondering what all the hoopla was about with these little shiny silver discs. I later "came around". In defense of Scorpions and/or Polygram, many years later--the late nineties was it?--they remastered "Animal Magnetism" and it sounded a trillion times better than the first edition, but still, this is one of those rare occasions when I think the vinyl version still rules.

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Billy Joel 52nd Street
    Micheal Jackson Thriller

I think it was 1984. Saw the display at Sears. It was the first time I'd even seen a CD player.

25. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Little Richard's Greatest Hits on Rhino, and
    Carl Perkins Greatest Hits, also on Rhino.

At the time CD's first came out, I was into Prince, and I think my next bunch of CD's were Prince stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.