What was the first song that got you loving music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flatso, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

she loves you yeah, yeah, yeah.

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

100% Ditto.....

er..........except replace "mother" with "father" and "Guy Mitchell" with "Perry Como"!!

3. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

I will never, ever forget "You Are My Destiny" by Paul Anka. The oldest of my four sisters played it relentlessly, day, and night. It was so cool watching the ABC Paramount 45 spinning away on the portable phonograph. Next favorite was "Claudette" by the Everly Brothers on the silver and red Cadence label.
    But the big kicker was Meet The Beatles, which my father bought me for Valentines Day, 1964. I was hooked!!!! I took it and immediately put it on the portable and wore that sucker out!

Paul:)

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

My situation was very similar. I was definitely tuned into music from the very beginning. My parents got me my first record player(an RCA portable record player w/AM radio, still trying to find another like it!) right before I turned three. The first record I ever owned was the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back". More than thirty years later, the love affair continues.:love: :D

5. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

It wasn't one song, it was an entire musical that swept me away.
    We went up to New York to see the original Broadway Production of Meredith Wilson's "The Music Man" when it first hit the stage in the late 50's. From the songs to the props it was the most exciting musical experience I had ever seen.:)

http://www.endresnet.com/musicman.html

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My little green kiddie record of some guy singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy". I sure loved that song! It sounded great on the big Zenith!

7. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hey Steve I think that might have been Jimmy Cagney:)

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nah, just some goofball guy singing it. I couldn't read, so I don't know the singer or the label. All I remember was that the record was a 7" 78 and it was pressed on this neat luminescent green plastic.

Jordy might have liked it though. It probably had a bunch of saxophones in it.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:thumbsup: My favorite LP of all time! Ahhhh the memories!:love:

10. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Steve

Did you know your little "Froggie with a Top hat" icon also happens to be the mascot/trademark of our (CT's) very own "one" great Rock Club -
    "Toad's Place" in New Haven, CT (I have the T-Shirt to prove it!)
    (practically on YALE's campus) where the likes of Dylan, The Stones, The Kinks, U2, The Police, Bruce S and God knows how many other greats have played at one time or another? Just a great old wooden club/bar with great acoustics.

Saw a great Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson (RIP as Ian would say) show there as a kid - summer of 1980 - Mick Ronson (very cool)came out before the show and shook everyones hand standing in line - I remember people asking him "Is there Life On Mars, Mick"?

New Haven - the same town Jim antagonised the boys in blue so much talking about what happened with "Mace" from the stage - (his infamous mug shot is from when he got busted here in '68!) and so later refered to it in "Peace Frog"
    Damn - I wish you did "Morrison Hotel" as well!!

11. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Never really thought about what was the first song that got me into music, but thinking back it might have been Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road. When I saw the movie around 1963 at the age of 11 (this was on TV, the movie came out around '58?) I thought it was the coolest movie I'd ever seen and the theme song was really bitchin' to boot. I never knew the song was on a record until the mid 80s when I saw it listed in a 45rpm book. Soon after I found a mint/unplayed original Capitol 45 through a Goldmine ad.

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Kinks

The one that really nailed my was "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks.
    There was something so nasty about their sound and their look and I loved (and for that matter continue to love ) the sound of Brother Dave's guitar. It was so cool to hear all about those sessions and all the other great stories Ray Davies told during his Storyteller tour over thirty years later. I saw that show twice and it remains to this day one of my all time concert highlights. Ironically The Kinks also put on one of the worst shows I have ever seen back in the seventies when Dave kicked over Mick Avory's drum kit, stormed offstage and they basically broke up on stage.
    Rock and roll man. :cool:

Peace
    Norm

13. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Re: Kinks

14. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Thanks for that website

Hey Paul:

Thanks for turning me on to that site. It's very cool.
    I just enjoyed reading about one of my all time favorite guitarists there:
    Paul Kossoff. I have bookmarked the site and will go back there and urge other members to visit. Very cool!
    Peace
    Norm

15. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

It wasn't a song, it was listening to an album. I was 6 and was listening to Sgt. Peppers...

It was all down here from there....

16. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The first song that really got my interest was "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks. I was 9 years old. Around the same time, I kept hearing "Crimson and Clover" even though it had already been out for a few years. Someone in my family must have had the single because I used to love the vibrato effect on Tommy James' voice. I used to pretend that it was recorded underwater (kids are weird, what can you do?)
    The other early musical memory was of listening to the 8-track tape of "Surf's Up" over and over. My older brother had a limited selection of 8 tracks--his name is John and I remember kidding him that he only played it because of the "brother John" part in the song. Wow--Someone bring me back to the present. I need a harp sound effect to transport me back. Just thinking about this stuff makes me feel like it's 1974 again.

17. Ian

Ian Active Member

I remember my sitter putting Led Zep II (I was either 2 or 3 at the time) on the tt and when I heard those opening notes to "Whole Lotta Love" I knew that I wanted to play guitar. My parents had classical all over the house but that album made me stand up and take notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.