What was the greatest musical performance in history of SNL?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Neil Young Rockin in the Free World was my Elvis on Ed Sullivan moment.

2. A poor quality clip of one of my top-5 performances, one that doesn't get cited a lot - Ornette Coleman and Prime Time laying into "Times Square" in all its wonderful cacophony, 1979:

Shame the album this is from, Of Human Bondage, has apparently been out of print since the '80s.

3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

My two favorites watching live were the B-52s performance of Rock Lobster and Neil Young, Rocking In The Free World. Looking back, my favorites are Zappa doing Slime with Don Pardo and Bowie, TVC 15.

ultron9 and Hot Ptah like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Shows how groundbreaking the show was at that time instead of the establishment. Sinead O'Conner's action wouldn't have been as controversial or criticized in 1976.

5. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I pretty much stopped watching SNL after the original cast broke up so I don't have a lot of memories of SNL performances. But easily the one that made the biggest impression on me back in the day was Sun Ra's. First time I had a chance to see Sun Ra in action. No video up of it though.

mw1917, linclink, tedhead and 5 others like this.
  7. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Lorne Michaels is notoriously OCD and a micro manager when it comes to the show. It probably wasn’t about the content as much as it was about going off script. Legend has it that he gave the band the middle finger throughout their performance.

8. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Nirvana was definitely the most significant for me.

In 1986 I entered my dead period for new music and I remained in it until I saw Nirvana on SNL.

I couldn't believe that I was watching a rock act with real drums, bass, guitar and vocals. As a result, I got back into music and bought hundreds of new albums in the 90s.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not the greatest, but a favorite of mine.

10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

2 come to mind

Zappa in 75

Neil Young in 89

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Debbie Harry "Come Back Jonee" for me!

ultron9 and krock2009 like this.
  12. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I sat there with my jaw dropping and called in my fiancee to witness this. She shrugged. Now she's my ex (of course).

Yeah, that gets my vote, with Prince debut a second ... but I haven't watched SNL in decades.

krock2009 likes this.
  13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Elvis C. Radio, Radio

hutlock and wayneklein like this.
  14. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

But their performance of "Jocko Homo" on the same show was far better - and sexier!

15. That's my choice and there were some terrific performances over the years that and the weirdly wonderful David Bowie....Boys Keep Swinging.

ultron9 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  16. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Another vote for Bowie '79.

linclink likes this.
  18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

love this

Gavinyl, weef, davidb1 and 5 others like this.
  19. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Which underscores why the show isn't near as funny as it could be. They're not willing to push the envelope and take chances enough.

goodiesguy and krock2009 like this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

In all fairness, the RATM appearance was back in the 90's with a presidential candidate as the guest host. They've pushed the envelope pretty hard lately. They are still a network TV show with all the constraints that come along with that. The reason SNL isn't as funny as it could be is the same as always : the writing.

D.D.

savemenow likes this.
  22. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

After all the great posts and opinions here I decided Devo gets my vote. At the time of this airing I had not seen them perform and didn't know much about them. They were beginning to get some air play at the local college station at Colgate U. In Hamilton, N.Y.
    Joe Jackson caught my ear, but Devo never did. When they appeared on SNL I was like WTF??? I recall thinking after they finished Jocko Homo, what did I just see? I couldn't make sense of it at all. I laughed it off as a bad skit. Then they came back and did Satisfaction and I was like...whaaaat? That was my de-evolution moment. Once I got it, I got it. No other performance by any other performer on SNL ever made that kind of impact on me.

23. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

This makes all the other banned acts look pretty tame in comparison.

24. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

You put it best. Essentially, I think this is what many people are saying about their own "greatest."

For me, it was Bowie '79. It really opened up a whole new world for me.

NorthNY Mark and DonnyMe like this.
  25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I thought my comment was more than fair. ;-)

Diamond Dog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.