What was the impact of SGT PEPPER at the time it was released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Kenny Everett introduced a lot of us to Sgt Pepper on radio in mid May. To say it was unbelievable is an understatement. All I can truly say is I've never been as excited about an LP as I was then and perhaps inevitably Sgt Pepper has never lived up to that moment for me.

Crimson Witch, theMess and notesfrom like this.
  2. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Yeah and no way you could explain it politely because I have the impertinence not to be 70.

Brett44, r7splash and Pennywise like this.
  3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Chicks became easier from thereafter.

Mods, edit if necessary.

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

If you're really riled by that you must get really upset in real life. Read what I said, don't interpret it as a put down.

theMess likes this.
  5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

All summer long, we spent dancin' in the sand
    And the jukebox kept on playin'
    Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Time cover for anyone who hasn't seen it

[​IMG]

6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

This is one of those moments where you had to be there.

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

"The Merits of Speculation" sounds like required reading for the Beatles BluRay thread.

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Don't forget, that when MMT was shown on TV on Boxing day, I think it was either broadcast in B&W, or was in colour, but the majority of the population still only had B&W sets. So all of the colourful magic was lost. Especially the Flying sequence.
    I think these days it is easy to dismiss Pepper, but I have always loved it. I would have first heard it in its' entirety back in 1981, I knew a few songs, but for the most part it was new to me. First time I listened, I will be honest, I wasn't blown away. By the second time I was hooked. I loved all the hoohah in 1987 when it had the 20th anniversary, there was a really good book produced, "It was 20 years ago today" which details not only Pepper, but the whole scene at the time, fascinating to read. I think it was by Derek Taylor, it is two floors down at the moment, so can't be sure.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wow, is it just me or is that not the most favorable portrayal of the Beatles there? What was the tone of the article like?

theMess and MonkeyLizard like this.
  10. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

the question begs asking, what since then has garnered that much attention, praise, appreciation. can't think of any release in any genre. either moves pepper up the ladder or speaks volumes on current standards.

chrisblower likes this.
  11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I remember reading that quote before too. Who wrote that? You don't hear much about the Congress of Vienna in 1815...200 years ago this year.

12. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

looks like it was drawn by the lady that sketched brady in that courtroom.

13. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

It was the only thing I wanted for Christmas that year. It was all we talked about at school for months. At that time, we had listening parties and it was number one for a long time.

I had just enterd High School and it changed everyone's attitude about music... Story telling on a album was new and exciting.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's actually Gerald Scarfe, who later did artwork for Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Silver1973 and theMess like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My parents started college in fall 67. My mother mentioned that aside from Sgt. Pepper the record everyone had was the Doors' first album.

trumpet sounds and notesfrom like this.
  16. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

What was the impact of SGT PEPPER at the time it was released?

HUGE!

theMess likes this.
  17. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Sgt. Pepper had such a big impact that even my 34 year old father at the time bought the album, and he enjoyed it. Back then, his main album buys were Any Williams, Jack Jones, John Gary, vocalists that were in his vocal range so he could sing to their records and also many Broadway and movie soundtracks. Sgt. Pepper was such a wild card among his album collection.

theMess, notesfrom and Yosi like this.
  18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

This. I'm now doing a chronological play through of the Capitol albums, and now up to Rubber Soul. Now I'm thinking of how much of a shock it must have been to listen to Pepper when it was released, given how they evolved to Revolver, then took almost a light year's jump right after that.

19. Spiritual Architect

Around this time my older brother came home on leave from Vietnam. We lived in LA where records were sold in stores everywhere. He had to go over 30 miles from home to find a store [White Front] that had one left for sale. At that time, as soon as Pepper hit the shelves it was gone.

20. Spiritual Architect

I think Pepper's was the point when albums overtook singles.

While many Americans bought the Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby single and by passed the Revolver LP, no one by passed Peppers.

21. Spiritual Architect

Proof that you should not paint while on acid.

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never liked his style.

23. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure 'Another Side Of Bob Dylan' from 1964 had printed lyrics. And I'm sure plenty of others.

Edit: unless you meant their first...

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It had a long poem by Dylan, but no printed lyrics.

25. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Ah, I stand corrected. :shrug:

Edit: Some sources are definitely saying that. I never even thought about that, wow.

Edit edit: just in general, Sgt Peppers being the first with printed lyrics

JoeRockhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.