What was the last Beatles song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

What would most people consider the last Beatles song?

The way I see it, there's several different candidates for the last Beatles song, all of which have different reasons.

1. The End - The final song to be recorded collectively by all four Beatles.

2. I Me Mine - The last new song to be recorded by the Beatles before they broke up.

3. Get Back - The last song on the last Beatles album, and the last song the Beatles played live.

4. Real Love - The last new song to be released under the name the Beatles.

If there's any other song you'd like to argue as being the last Beatles song, then feel free.

What do you consider to be the last Beatles song?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    ajsmith and Welshman like this.
  2. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

Real Love has got more Beatles than I Me Mine does...

rxcory, J Alesait, Eska68 and 18 others like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Get Back also has the "last song the Beatles played live" argument

But I go with I Me Mine - which really should be credited Harrison/McCartney as Paul wrote the 4/4 section.

Fullbug, ajsmith, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  4. Haristar

I consider "The End" to be the last Beatles song, but first I'm going to explain why I don't count the other songs as the last Beatles song.

I Me Mine - Not all four Beatles were present during the recording, and the song originated from the Get Back/Let It Be sessions, albeit as a rehearsal, predating some of the Abbey Road album.

Get Back - It was released as a single in early 1969, so calling it the last Beatles song would be a bit unusual. It does end with the "I hope we passed the audition" line though which provides a fitting, tongue in cheek ending to the Beatles.

Real Love - Yes, technically it is so far the last original song to be released under the name the Beatles, but only three of them were present for the recording of the Beatles version, and it was released years after the Beatles had ended.

The End provides a very suitable ending to the Beatles, and it was the last song to be recorded by all four Beatles at the same time.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Aboout 3/4 of Abbey Rd debuted in rehearsal versions in those (or earlier) sessions. At least Something, Maxwell, Octopus, I Want You, You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Polythene Pam, Carry That Weight & Her Majesty

Fullbug and Haristar like this.
  6. Haristar

That's fair enough but "I Me Mine" still predates "The End".

Rfreeman likes this.
  7. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Wonderwall - oasis

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Across The Universe (Take 6)

FJFP and applejam101 like this.
  9. Haristar

What's your reasoning?

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

FJFP, Diego Lucas, MitchLT and 9 others like this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It won't be popular, but I've gone for IMM - for the reason that, at the point at which it was recorded, there was no absolute certainty that the band would not be continuing. So, the three Beatles present may have been working on the assumption that John Lennon would have a change of mind (as George had done a year earlier) and be back in the fold before long.

Isn't there a (slight) case for Long And Winding Road - the session at which Ringo was the only Beatle present?

grandegi, Ken Wood, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Were all four present at the orchestral overdub of "The End"? Seems to me you are holding it to a different standard. "Real Love" has all four on it albeit at different times

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

An argument could be made for For You Blue.
    If a person listened to all their authorized releases in order of release, this is the last new song they would hear (at least until BBC release - at which point John was no longer able to approve Beatles releases) - as Get Back had been out as a single much earlier.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  14. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

"Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)" probably should have been one of the last Beatles songs, especially if it was recorded by just John, George and Ringo (with or without Billy) for the "Let It Be" LP.

15. Haristar

But John never participated in the recording of I Me Mine, so The End stands as the last song they recorded as a four piece all at the same time.

16. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

"The Long And Winding Road" has been considered for years by many first-generation fans to be the "last Beatles song", by virtue of being the last single.

17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I Me Mine came to mind first but there’s a good argument for all of them.

team2 and Haristar like this.
  18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The question is unanswerable without a mutually agreed-upon definition of "last." Otherwise...
    ...So it's the last Beatles song for now, until the next reissue project? A 60th anniversary "Love Me Do" single reissue would make "P.S. I Love You" their last song?

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Going with that release, I would use the last previously unreleased by The Beatlss composition it contains. Would that be Circles or Sour Milk Sea?

20. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Those compositions were both released decades ago, on Gone Troppo and a Jackie Lomax single, respectively. If performance by a different artist makes them "new," then the jams on the session discs should count even though the Beatles didn't write them.

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm with you on this.

As for Real Love, that's an easy "nope" for me as Lennon wasn't alive. The wishywashy part, again for me, is when I acknowledge that the song is credited to The Beatles, and thus contributed income and Billboard chart stats to The Beatles. Still, I separate it out as Beatles-the band, and Beatles the corporation. Real Love falls under corporation, decades after the demise of the working unit.

pmc7070, NumberEight, dewey02 and 5 others like this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That is why I said "previously unreleased BY THE BEATLES"

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I thought I Want You (She's So Heavy) was the last track that all 4 Beatles recorded. No?

Anyway, I vote for The End taking a little poetic license. It's just such a perfect final song .

Day_Tripper2019 and lightbulb like this.
  24. I voted I Me Mine because it was the last song the guys worked on before the split (well, 3 of the guys anyway), but Real Love is correct as it is a "The Beatles" song and was their last original to be released.

Fullbug, BeatleJWOL and aphexj like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Except it wasn't, because Paul worked on it alone for weeks after they recorded those 90 seconds all together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.