What was the LOUDEST concert you ever attended?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What Band turned it up to 11? Or even 12?
    How did your ears handle the carnage?

Even though they aren’t considered a loud band by any means, it was Fleetwood Mac!!:yikes::hide: Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar happened to be turned up extra LOUD that night and my seat was in front of the PA, so my ears rang for several days:cussing:

Suncola, Fullbug, SonyTek and 3 others like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Where were your earplugs? o_O

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I didn't measure it, but Prince (Jam of the Year tour, billed as The Artist) was surprisingly loud. I've worn earplugs to 90+% of the shows I've attended, so it didn't make much difference to me, but I don't see how people can stand it.

4. Thom01

Thom01 Forum Resident

Motorhead (like many, undoubtedly).
    And it was outdoors :eek:

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Twisted Sister - '83

Wasn't there to see them, but rather the headliner, Blackfoot, who played at the perfect volume. But TS was totally OC.

Making it particularly shocking was that this was at Red Rocks, an outdoor venue. Never knew anything could be so loud outdoors.

Probably the next contestant would be a much more recent date with Machine Head in a fairly small club. The mosh pit was insane.

Weirwolfe and izgoblin like this.
  6. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Foo Fighters at TD Garden. It was just plain loud. And late with a six song encore.

frightwigwam likes this.
  7. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

Hawkwind, no contest

8. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe Mechanic at Joe’s Garage

I saw Danzig in 94’ or 95’ in a club that held maybe 400 people and his amps were apparently dialed in for a stadium. So, so very loud, my ears rang for days after that show....hell of a performance though!

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Elvis Costello and The Attractions in '79.
    There was a ringing in my ears for three days afterwards.

10. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Funny you say that. They weren't my loudest, but they were pretty loud. McVie's bass was absolutely thundering and we were in our company box.

Loudest for me was either Metallica as an opener for Ozzy (one of Cliff Burton's last shows), or Yngwie Malmsteen which left my ears ringing for days.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Pixies, could hear it across town. Painfully loud.

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Ramones.

I stood stage right, in front of the sound system, which was ear level.
    Even though the place was packed, I couldn’t drift back into the standing room only crowd, because the whirling and pogoing punkers would have been too distracting.

13. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

14. Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow in 1978

My ears rang for 3 days

15. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Dinosaur Jr.

16. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Metz at the Nottingham Rescue Rooms in 2018 METZ Setlist at Rescue Rooms, Nottingham about an hour on stage but that was there was more then enough, I could barely hear my friends talking to me on the way back to the car!

ktg807 likes this.
  17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

My Bloody Valentine, which is really by design. If I don’t count them, it’s Radiohead in 1997 or Mogwai in 2004

18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

19. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

ACDC in 2016

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Honestly... Emerson, Lake & Powell... Hersheypark Arena September 1986. I could feel the sound buffeting me during those low keyboard notes at the end of Lucky Man. Never had that experience before or since.

alanhed, bhazen, Icethorn and 7 others like this.
  21. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

This is going to seem insane, but the concert that made my ears ring for the most days after attending was a concert by America in the early 1980's.

Holy Diver, hi_watt, bcaulf and 3 others like this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

My Bloody Valentine almost hit 140db when I saw them last. The sound waves were causing cups and empty beer cans to move around on the floor as if being blasted by wind.

23. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

It depends where you are sitting. When I saw Black Sabbath at the Fillmore East, I was in the third row close to the PA, and my ears rang for three days afterwards.
    I saw Johnny Winter at the B.B. King Club in NYC not long before it closed, and it was so loud, we had to get up and leave after two songs. I had also seen Leslie West at B.B. King's, and he was also ridiculously loud. I really should have brought ear plugs with me for that one.
    The loudest concert was Robert Cray at Steelstacks in Bethlehem, PA. The reason was I was at a cafe table directly in front of the stage. They had small but powerful speakers sitting on the edge of the stage facing outward into the audience, so my head was literally three feet from the speaker. I am convinced that my tinnitus is a direct result of that show.

24. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

Same - Motorhead outdoors (in Wales). Hissing in the ears for a full 48hours after.

Old Rusty likes this.
  25. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Kansas - Rochester NY War Memorial June '78 (Les Dudek opened).
    I was 21 and liked my music loud but this was truly painful.

furmanu and Blastproof like this.