What was the LOUDEST concert you ever attended?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, Feb 7, 2020.

1. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I saw the industrial band Whitehouse once, it was so loud the audience stood about 20 feet back from the stage, apart from three Japanese fans who were right at the front.

uzn007, Fullbug and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Please post this in the "Is Boston An AOR Band" thread so all the people who think they are a pop group can see it! :)

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

As much as I like the band, I just don't want to see them live because of the reputation. Apparently their gigs are so loud, you even can't decipher the music.

Micah likes this.
  4. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

I saw of Montreal at a tiny venue on one of the backstreets on Dougenzaka in the middle of Shibuya, Tokyo, and the opening act was this absolutely dogshit local band that thought screaming and screeching guitar noise was good music. I remember just leaving and stepping outside to wait for the of Montreal show to start, and there were a few other middle-aged live show goers out there, too. We all looked at one another and laughed, instantly understanding that we were all outside for the same reason.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  5. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

AC/DC - Audimax, Hamburg Oct. 1978
    Motörhead - Markthalle, Hamburg Nov. 1980
    Swans - Docks, Hamburg Sept. 1986

After Swans I had Tinitus for about 10 days and never went to another show without hearing protection.

6. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Deftones - Memorial Coliseum, Portland 2009

Just ridiculously loud and distorted. So much so I almost felt their noise more than heard them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    spacedyed likes this.
  7. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Suicide supporting Iggy & the Stooges at Hammersmith Odeon in 2010. You wouldn't have thought it possible that two blokes and a keyboard could produced such an unholy racket, but I could feel my lungs caving in every time Martin Rev hit a note.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Loudness of concert doesn't = musical genre.

One of the loudest shows I ever attended was RINGO STARR! :help:

uzn007, blueslover99 and Fullbug like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He's a metal monster! :righton:

Gloi and Oatsdad like this.
  10. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

That is true of every Deftones show I've been to. It's more about the mood and the noise than actual "songs." Last time I saw them, I could not tell the songs apart until (some) choruses.

11. I’ve seen them a couple of times (post reunion) and while they were loud, the volume was reasonable.

DTK and Bug80 like this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

what do you expect from a band named DEFTONES

Drifter likes this.
  13. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

For me it was also Dinosaur Jr. Lee's Palace, Toronto, 2012. But the next time I saw them I just brought earplugs. And then realized I didn't need them. It actually depends on the venue and where you are within the venue. They are awesome live, so go see them if you can. Just bring earplugs and put them in if needed.

Desolation Row and Bug80 like this.
  14. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I'm a former working musician, and I've seen more concerts than I'll ever remember. I'm no stranger to the experience, and I'm sometimes the first person to complain when a band is too quiet and I can too easily hear people talking around me. But yeah, I've seen Dinosaur Jr seven or eight times, and they have always ranked among the loudest. The last time I saw them, in Oklahoma City, they were so loud it physically hurt. Seriously. My wife and I had to stand all the way back by the t-shirt booth just to tolerate the set. I'm a huge fan, so I've endured it over the years, but they play far above a defensible volume.

15. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Ted Nugent at the Concert House in Stockholm 1976. Almost blew my head off. And my friend was squaling like a baby from pain.

ribonucleic likes this.
  16. Strangford

Strangford Forum Resident

Heart at Wembley Arena London on the Bad Animals tour.

ribonucleic and Fullbug like this.
  17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

No, it's bands who use their outdoor rigs in small, indoor venues.

ARK, uzn007 and LPhound15 like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I saw Dino Jr outdoors at a festival and didn't react at the volume. Every instrument came through clear.

19. dabblerblue

dabblerblue Forum Resident

My Bloody Valentine in Toronto, 2008. They gave away free earplugs and I recall someone saying the show's sound was presented with wearing those earplugs in mind.

20. DavyHazy

DavyHazy Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen And the E Street Band Capitol Theatre NJ Second Night Sept of 1978. My friend and I had to scalp tix and got last row Orch for $25 each. Couldn't believe how loud it was...my ears joyously rang for 2 days afterward!! .......Never will forget it!!

ribonucleic, Olargues and Fullbug like this.
  21. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

Actually, the loudest show I ever attended was Parquet Courts at Atlanta’s Shaky Knees Festival back in 2018. The field they were in was surrounded by trees, which might’ve trapped the sound. We were midway towards the stage, but 20 seconds into the first song we headed towards the back.

22. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

Mentioned before but…
    The Swans at the Brixton academy
    Mogwai at the Brixton academy.

The quietest.
    Queens of the Stone Age at Hyde park…

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Aerosmith Rocks tour was possibly the loudest for me. Ted Nugent and Mahogany Rush opened so yeah, it was all loud but when Aerosmith came out it went to another level.

ribonucleic and Fullbug like this.
  24. JKCanuck

JKCanuck Forum Resident

Motorhead / Alice Cooper Ottawa Feb. 14th 1988
    We were right against the stage. My ears rang for 7 straight days. I definitely damaged my hearing. Great show!

Bob Mould: Black Sheets of Rain tour Oct. 1990 Barrymore's in Ottawa
    Absolutely deafening. At the end of his set he placed his Strat on the speakers and it fed back for at least 5 minutes.
    My ears didn't ring as much:)
    Possibly the Ramones too!

ribonucleic likes this.
  25. tillman

tillman Forum Resident

Jack White Stage on Sixth 2012 or Jack White Bill Graham 2018. Both silly loud. More so than Tool, NiN, Maiden, Misfits, or White Zombie.