What Was The Name Of Sky King's Plane?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jefhart, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

For anyone who remembers the old Sky King TV show, what was the name of his plane? I was just thinking of this show and couldn't, for the life of me, remember the name. I did remember that his niece's name was Penny. I used to love this show as a kid.

Jeff

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Songbird, wasn't it?

3. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

That sounds vaguely familiar. I bet you're right Steve. Funny, I can usually remember all that useless trivia from all my favorite old shows. Just drew a blank on that one. Don't believe they've shown this show in reruns for many a year. Pity. Though I wonder how well it would hold up.

Jeff

4. Steve Hoffman

Probably it would hold up as good as FURY or a show like that.

Heh, I was in love with Penny. Any girl in semi-cowboy clothes after that show always caught my eye.

Yes, I'm sure it was (two words) Song Bird.

"Out of the clear blue of the Western sky comes---SKY KING......Brought to you by---NABISCO!

Probably 40 years since I've seen Sky King. Funny how we remember certain things from childhood.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

SKY KING....

Can't remember the show itself--sadly--but it was interesting to find out that a fellow named Earl Nightingale--great voice--used to do the old radio version. Nightingale went on to have a syndicated radio show titled "Our Changing World" or something like that, brief bits of philosophy and commentary that used to run every day on a local radio station back in the '70s, I think.

ED:ed:

6. Steve Hoffman

Can't remember SKY KING?

This jog you?

Attached Files:

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I think it was called the "Silver Cloud".

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Nope, doesn't jog anything...which is depressing, since I must have watched just about everything else when I was a kid....even old reruns of HIGHWAY PATROL with Brod Crawford....SEA HUNT.....even worse, I don't recognize the actors, either....:(

Amazing also, what you don't remember, sometimes.....:(

And yet I can remember such idiocy as Magilla Gorilla and Touche Turtle....Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har....and revel in the knowledge that a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND DVD box may be issued next year.....:D

I'm a Maryann fella, myself....:edthumbs:

ED:ed:

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ed, you were co-reckt, too: http://www.nightingaleproducts.com/bios.html

I useta hear ol' Earl on WSAL-AM 1260, Logansport, Indiana (woke up right before 7:00 AM to go to school by mom's clock radio, greeted by "Your ray of sunshine, Raaaaay Olson" - Mr' Nightingale's commentary would be on sometime before we hopped on the bus for school...

11. Boje

Boje New Member

I remember Sky King. Wasn't there a helicoper TV show called Whirlybirds?

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...Feb. 3rd 2004...can't come soon enough:) Oh yea!

13. Michael

Sure was:) Skylar King...and his Twin-Engined Cessna "The Songbird"...was one of my favs back then.

14. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Boje,
    Yep, "Whirlybirds" was one of those syndicated shows. First aired in 1956. Starred Ken Tobey of "The Thing" fame. One of my favorite syndies was "The Sheriff of Cochise". He drove a nifty '56 Chrysler station wagon.

15. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I remembered the twin engine plane and Penny.It's a shame we can only see a small fraction of the old shows.

16. Michael

Lots of TV SHOWS I'd never expect to see on DVD are coming out! Slowly...Some exciting DVD "TV" Times coming up:thumbsup:!

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

IIRC Sky King was on right before or after My Friend Flicka ?

18. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

I read somewhere - a while ago - that the lyrics from Neil Young's "Thrasher" quoted below refer to "Sky King".

So I got bored and left them there,
    They were just deadweight to me
    Better down the road without that load
    Brings back the time when I was eight or nine
    I was watchin' my mama's T.V.,
    It was that great Grand Canyon rescue episode.

Is that right??

19. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

His aircraft was a Cessna model 310; one of the first personal business aircraft. I saw a lovingly restored reproduction of "Song Bird" at the '02 EAA convention in Oshkosh.

Steve

20. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Weren't there actually two planes on Sky King? I seem to remember that he had a newer one the last couple of seasons that replaced an older boxier one?

21. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I remember this show very well. Along with this show, CBS had a great line-up of live action shows on Saturday morning -- Fury, The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, My Friend Flicka, and the Roy Rogers, Dale Evans Show. I spent many Saturday mornings in front of the TV watching these classic shows.

22. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I absolutely loved Sky King. Never missed a show when I was a kid. I was always thrilled by the way Song Bird would bank in the air. I still remember how beautifully it moved.

Penny moved well, too.

23. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

"Fury... the story of a horse... and the boy who loved him."
    Great stuff, eh?:thumbsup:

Speaking of Saturday morning TV, anyone old enough to remember Ruff 'n' Reddy?

24. Steve Hoffman

Just call me Professor Gizmo...

25. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Hah! Good one, Steve!:laugh:

"...They sometimes have their little spats... They even fight like dogs and cats... But when they need each other, that's when they're Ruff 'n' Reddy!" :D

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.