What was your first DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought this would make a great thread for the SH Forums. Mine were "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut," "Mallrats," and "American Pie," which I bought at the same time in January, 2000 (two weeks before I got my first player).

2. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Fight Club, special edition, bought it about six weeks before I got my DVD player, in the fall of 2000. Glad I did considering the prices it's getting on eBay now.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Phantom of the Paradise!

Purchased before I got a DVD player!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nancy Sinatra "Movin' With Nancy". She gave it to me long before I had a player.

5. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

"Invaders From Mars" the Tobe Hooper remake.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over DTS dvd.

I remember playing this on my new DVD player (at the time it was a Toshiba 2109) directly to my TV because my Family Room was being constructed and that was the only way to see if the DVD player worked.
    I remember it sounding damn good just thru the TV speakers.

Wet my appetite to hear it in full DTS glory thru my Denon etc. once the room was completed!

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Yellow Submarine, bought it before I bought my DVD player!

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Picked up the five Paramount Marx Brothers titles, just before they went out of print, pretty much on the same weekend we got our first DVD player.

Also got the Beany & Cecil disc that weekend as well.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

A Hard Days Night....

10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I bought my first 10-12 before I even had a DVD player! I think my first three were:
    Meet Joe Black, The Perfect Storm, and Total Recall.

11. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

For the life of me I can't remember - I know it was Spring '98 and suspect that Blade Runner was amongst the first batch. There were no Region 2 films at the time and so everything had to be imported - either personally or via a laserdisc shop (the shops weren't allowed to sell them directly to you but could order on your behalf ;) ).

Another place I would order from was www.dvdexpress.com which later became www.dvd.com - my customer number was very low and I remember that they used to list all the movies by letter and your could scroll through the whole catalogue :)

All the best - Andrew

12. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Me too! I bought the DVD in Sept. 99 and the player in Feb 00. Why did I wait so long?

13. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Well the first DVD that I bought was D.A. Pennebaker's Don't Look Back from a Canadian internet retailer when I ordered my DVD player, but as that hadn't arrived when the player did I went out and bought P.T. Anderson's Magnolia locally.

14. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Ditto, although it was a rental in my case. Glad I saved my $$$ on that one! :sigh:

15. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

My first DVD player was built into my IBM Powerbook. It was a brand new technology, and my first disc was "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Mine was UNBREAKABLE. I pretty much buy DVDs only if I'm have to write an article for the college's monthly insert into the local papers, so I've bought UNBREAKABLE, AT CLOSE RANGE, THE COLOR OF MONEY, MOSQUITO COAST, and ROB ROY. It's tough to write a lengthy review without giving away the ending or important plot twists!

17. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

My first was "Ghost In The Shell"

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Pulp Fiction

19. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

The Godfather Set - Movie
    L.A. Woman - Doors - DVD-A

20. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Forbidden Planet.

21. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

Yellow Submarine was my first dvd... Went through several different brands of players within a week or so just to watch it without nasty pixelation or stuttering. (back when dvd players were not up to scratch)

Was overjoyed to have finally got through the entire thing in the end though! :)

22. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Amadeus

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Pink Floyd's "The Wall"

24. japes

japes Senior Member

I purchased a computer in Jan. '99 that had a DVD-ROM built into it. I thought that a bunch of DVD-related software would follow. It didn't (guess I should have invested in a CD burner instead).

My first DVD around that time I believe was "The Negotiator" followed by "The Last Emperor - Director's Cut" and the Criterion "Armageddon," (how's that for variety).

I bought my first dedicated DVD player in June '99 (2nd generation Proscan) and I'm still using it.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think mine was Eric Clapton Unplugged and The Road Warrior sometime in late 1996 or Jan.1997.

I remember not even being able to find a Blockbuster to rent DVD movies at. My local Best Buy had about a 12' section of discs at the time.

It's tough being an early adopter :).............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.