What Were the Three Best Concerts You Ever Saw?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company - June 1967 at the Monterey Pop Festival (a revelation: when people think of her they often remember the screaming intensity, but what made her special was the quiet intensity that slowly built up to her extraordinary emotional releases.)

James Brown - 1965 in Kansas City (The Godfather at the peak of his power and popularity with an audience that reacted feverishly to his every nuance.)

Ike and Tina Turner - 1965 at the Meadow Acres Ballroom in Topeka Kansas (Tina revealed as the sexiest woman in the world with a Greek choir of devotees, the Ikettes.)

mooseman likes this.
  2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

The Pretenders 1980 ~ First US tour, I was 15 and snuck in. WOW! Half the group was dead too soon after.

The Grateful Dead 1984 ~ Greek Theater in Berkeley, my first show, 'Dark Star' encore, no ticket and trippin'.

Bert Jansch 2010 ~ Don Quixotes in Santa Cruz, his last US Tour, front row center, five feet way, spellbound.

3. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

I've seen about 300 concerts (total artists, not events) over 30 years. But this wasn't tough:

Metallica - Nov 88 Civic Arena, Pittsburgh
    Accept - Feb 96 Jaxx, DC
    McCartney - Sep 02 Raleigh, NC

honorable mention: Midnight Oil - Mar 02, 9:30 Club, DC

4. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

1. John Cale London Lyceum April 1981.
    Cale already having had A&M's money for the Honi Soit European tour withdrawn because of his Paul McCartney put-down had wanted to cancel the show, as his mother was dying, instead he spent the 75minutes screaming out the songs, (Cale knows how to scream), having come on stage in a leather face mask. Something else was annoying him that evening too, Nico was in the audience screaming back at him, demanding Cale give her the money she said he owed her. After the show Cale barricaded the dressing room door, Nico left empty handed.

2. Charlemagne Palestine Cochrane Theatre London 2007.
    A pleasant evening of harpsicord music? NO. Palestine playing two antique harpsicords simultaneously broke them both, broadcast live on Resonance FM. After the show he trashed my rare cd i'd asked him to autograph. The owner of the instruments donated for the concert didn't look too happy.

3. The Stooges London Hammersmith Odean 2005
    That world's forgotten boy sure has a lot of energy and anger inside of him.

5. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Ry Cooder in '82 (Cooder, Keltner, Chris Ethridge, Smitty Smith, Jim Dickinson, Terry Evans, Bobby King, Pico Payne & Ras Baboo: I would offer my son to some deity to see that concert again)
    Randy Newman in '87
    Springsteen in '81, The River tour, before he became 'mr. muscle stars & stripes' and ruin everything

6. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

UFO & Rush - Santa Monica Civil 1977 (Orchestra Pit)
    Pink Floyd: The Wall - Los Angeles Sports Arena 1980
    Mary Jane Girls, Chaka Khan, and Rick James - Universal Amphitheater (now Gibson Amphitheater) Too smoking to remember the exact year 1984 or 1985

7. Curt Gehm

Curt Gehm New Member

Joni Mitchell, Court & Spark Tour 1974 Nassau Coliseum
    Carly Simon, The Bottom Line, NYC, Boys In The Trees Tour 1978
    The Eagles, Hotel California Tour. Nassau Coliseum
    Carly Simon/ Hall & Oates. Jones Beach, Letters Never Sent Tour 1995
    Tina Turner, Jones Beach. PVT Dancer

8. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - Portsmouth UK September 2000, both nights. Small hall, Bob on top form. Also two weeks later at Wembley, the Winston Churchill quote.

Paul Simon - Hammersmith Odeon 1980 - last night of the One Trick Pony tour, Paul offered to buy everyone a drink at the interval.

Ronnie Lane 's Slim Chance, University Tour 1974/75 - he left the Faces and made it even looser!!

Honourable mention to Art Garfunkel at the Royal Albert Hall 2003. This guy in the front row was eating a pack of crisps - Artie rammed the mic stand up his rear end and hung him from the balcony. ( think i've jumped threads here..memory may be playing tricks on me again).

9. edge003

edge003 New Member

I never got the chance to see a lot of people perform at their peak, however I have enjoyed what I have been able to see.

1. Rolling Stones - Prudential Centre 15 Dec 2012. Best night of my life, sure they aren't what they used to be but it was the Stones! JJF best moment of my life.
    2. Linkin Park @ Soundwave Sydney 2013. Front row. Absolutely killed it.
    3. Prince in Brisbane May 26 2012. Loved it. Voice and playing was amazing.

Seen some other amazing concerts however these would likely be my favourites.

10. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

:eek: Wow! Talk about getting your money's worth in drama!

11. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Yes with special guests The Eagles, August 18, 1972.
    Frank Zappa & the Mothers at Kaleidoscope, a tiny club, March 17, 1968.
    Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon tour, June 25, 1973.

12. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

It's pretty hard to pick only three, but here's what comes to mind today:

3) U2, War Tour 1983, Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ
    For sheer impact, there was nothing like U2 in those days. Being in the middle of the 15th row helped. A lot.

2) Peter Gabriel, 1977, The Bottom Line, NYC
    I stood on line for hours to get into this one and had to stand in the back of the club. It didn't matter since it was so small. Some guy named "Dusty Rhoades" sat in on guitar offstage. Wouldn't show his face, though.

1) Pink Floyd, 1980, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, NY
    One of only 10 performances of The Wall in the US that year. It was mind-blowing, incredible, over-the-top rock theatre. Unforgettable. I'm not even that big of a Floyd fan but I know a great show when I see one.

Honorable mentions:
    Led Zeppelin, 1977, Madison Square Garden, NYC
    Paul McCartney, 1993, Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
    The Who, 1974, MSG, NYC

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

1. U2, War Tour 1983, Houston Music Hall
    You just knew this band was going to be huge, front row helped in the awe factor

2. Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti tour 1975, Houston Coliseum
    POWERFUL! Also very close to Mr. Page

3. Cat Stevens, 1976, Houston Summit
    Most majical and engaing show I've seen

Honorable mentions:
    Wings, 1976, Houston Summit
    Rolling Stones, 1978, Houston Coliseum
    The Who, 1975, Houston Summit
    Golden Earing, 1974, Music Hall

14. stanleyb

stanleyb Forum Resident

Three that come to mind just now:

Yes - Wembley 1978. Tormato wasn't great but the accompanying tour was.
    Tom Verlaine - Mean Fiddler, London 1987. One of my fave guitarists up close and personal with an epic Marquee Moon.
    British Sea Power - High Rocks Hotel, nr. Tonbridge Wells 2005. An incendiary performance in a wacky venue, (and not far from where I live - always a bonus).

15. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

Too many, but here's some :

Wagner/Ring Cycle : Bernard Haitink Royal Opera 1996
    Queen/Thin Lizzy LA Forum 1978
    ZZ Top El Paso Civic Center 1974

16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Curtis Mayfield-NY Summerstage 1990
    Tricky- Irving Plaza 1995
    Paul McCartney- Colbert Report rehearsal 2013

17. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Motorhead: Bomber Tour. Bracknell Sports Centre.
    Asian Dub Foundation/Dhol Foundation: WOMAD Festival
    Thin Lizzy: Reading Festival. Last live concert.

18. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

Led Zeppelin Atlanta 1977 was fortunate to sit in the front row.

Pink Floyd The Wall New York 1980

Rolling Stones Washington 1975

19. Robert Sager

Robert Sager New Member

I was the vocalist in the Raigne and vividly remember that show, although I don't recall anyone else singing--you must mean Jim Yankee--I hung out in Akers hall often so I probably knew you as he was the only one out of high school at the time--Alice Cooper's equipment malfunctioned and they ended up using our new PA--they had consumed massive quantities of Boones Farm in the Dressing area--memorable night though and Mike Quattro would play all night without asking as that is how he always acted when we played on the same bill

20. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I know it's only three...but my two most recent have to be in there somewhere! McCartney October 2014. Rush May 22, 2015. Still on a buzz from the Rush show. I can honestly say that anytime I can see Rush, McCartney and Jeff Beck....NEVER disappointed.

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The three time I saw Little Feat

Craig, Jerry and npc145 like this.
  22. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Grateful Dead - Fillmore West 3.1.69 I walked outta the Carousel a changed person.
    The Who - SF Civic Auditorium 12.9.71 The most powerful show I ever saw. I was tingling for hours afterwards as they had re-arranged my molecules.
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Winterland 12.16.78 A four hour tour de force.
    The Band - Berkeley Community Theater January 1970 A much stronger performance than
    their Winterland debut doing the 2nd album.
    Chicago Transit Authority - Fillmore West 8.17.69 My friends were doing the light show at Fillmore West the weekend of Woodstock. CTA was incredible.
    Van Morrison - Fillmore West 10.9.70 Another night my friends did lights and Van's psychodrama performance was the magic I looked for from him ever after.

23. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Rolling Stones - Washington DC, 1975
    Led Zeppelin - Birmingham, Alabama, 1977
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour, Washington, DC, 1974

24. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Oasis , Simply Red & Jeff Beck

25. Levon in his barn in 2011.

Phish in 1995.

Bill Frisell in 2014 or so.

Thread Status: