What would it take to get the quad version of DSOTM released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taurus, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

You would need a Tate II decoder or a Space & Image Composer to get the best results. There are some older SQ decoders that were not too bad, but these are among the best. Of course, you would need 4 channels of amplification.

Modern MultiChannel receivers would only get you close, as none of them have SQ decoding capability, although Dolby Pro Logic II can get you close, but not actually there.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Or get a DTS version of it from somewhere. It's easy to find.

3. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

How do you all think a typical HT system would handle the bass on the quad DSOTM, since I'm assuming there is no ".1" channel? Or is the low bass only in the front channels?

This is the only issue--if this is an issue--that I think might cause certain systems to not sound their best & maybe why the labels haven't released more original quad recordings.

4. Taurus

I finally was able to hear the quad version of DSOTM and it is quite different on most tracks compared to the sacd version. It is more discrete but in an entertaining, rather than gimmicky, manner. Some of the effects move so fast or in such an aggressive manner it could cause someone already, ummmm, under the influence to get really freaked out. :D The more nebulous/atmospheric sounding mix* of the sacd is IMO more appropriate for certain songs and overall, I like that type of sound a bit more for this kind of music than the quad's version, but I still enjoy both mixes.

* this might be attributed to more sophisticated surround mixing tools available today

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Or.....Alan Parsons? :shh:

:ed:

6. Taurus

Another possibility, I'll admit. :sigh:

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Like many things, most people tend to lean towards the version they heard first.

8. downhill

downhill Senior Member

Wow...up from the ashes.....

There is a possibility that when the copyright runs out that the original quad master could be released..

I've also read that the original master HAS been converted to a DTS disc. I tend to believe this is probably rumor. If it was true, it would be all over the net by now.

9. svenskagroda

svenskagroda New Member

I've got stunning copies of the AHM, DSOTM, and WYWH Quad Versions on CD-R. Simply fantastic.

10. svenskagroda

svenskagroda New Member

My system handles the no center and no sub woofer thing very well and you get a really nice full sound from this mix. It's really very nice and I actually prefer it to the SACD mix.

11. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I have DTS cds of both "Dark Side Of The Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" and
    I tend to think "Wish You Were Here" is actually a more fun quad mix. Did Parsons
    do that one ???? My guess is he didn't because no one ever mentions him
    when talking about the followup album...

I saw two links the other day to "track by track" comparisons of the two DSOTM mixes
    by Parsons and Guthrie. I think both links were here in another thread. A very
    interesting read...

Both guys seemed to have respect for each other's mixes... both of them were
    willing to admit where they liked the other guy's mix a little better...

But ultimately Guthrie sounded like his hands were tied... The band
    told him what they did and didn't like and he was obligated to listen - even if
    he personally might have agreed with what Parsons had done before.

The big question in my mind is will the highly distinctive transition between
    "Have A Cigar" and "Wish You Were Here" on the quad mix survive if and when
    a 5.1 mix is done ????? that transition completely surprised me.... I actually
    got up out of my chair in a panic... somehow the stereo mix loses the
    joke...

12. svenskagroda

svenskagroda New Member

Man I LOVE that effect. All the music gets "sucked" right out of the sound field through the right front speaker leaving you with just the radio broadcast in the front left until David (I love how you can hear him shuffling/breathing before he starts playing guitar) comes in through the front right again followed a little later by the rest of the band in the rears.

Like I said before .... FANTASTIC

Who mixed the Quad WYWH?

13. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

What would it take to get this released?

What it takes to get anything released...a whole lot of interest and a whole lot of money.

14. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

When I heard this I actually ran to my amplifier because I was certain 3 of the 4
    channels had just somehow blown - LOL

I was completely freaked out and then all of a sudden David's acoustic guitar
    came back in hi fidelity...

The funny thing is the stereo version has a similar transition and 25 years
    of listening to the stereo version didn't prevent me from a complete
    state of panic when I heard the same thing in quad...

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I agree. I love this transistion. If I recall, you can hear David fumbling around as he waits to do his acoustic bit in the front right speaker. Can you hear him smoking too? I forget.

This is a GREAT surround demo track that, like many others, is only available on Quad LP and Quad 8 track! There were never any Columbia Quad reels, so the best audio for this effect is from the lowly 8 track, which usually sells for over $100 on eBay!!!

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Which worries me about the upcoming Genesis SACD's. Nick Davis is like Guthrie.....a band employee with a bunch of eyes and ears hanging over his every move.

17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I know that there are people out there who have converted Quad reels and 8-tracks to DTS encoded CD, but I wonder if anyone has gone so far as to transfer then to DVD-A. It's clearly feasible from a technical standpoint. There are computer soundcards and external devices that can perform A/D conversion on a four channel analog recording, and there's now some affordable DVD-A authoring software. Obviously, the fidelity of the Quad source isn't likely to push the limits of the DVD-A specs, but I'm sure there would be at least some improvement in sound quality over DTS encoded CDs.

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Wavelab 5 and DiscWelder make this possible. I speak from first hand experience! :D :shh:

19. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Let's send them on vacation. Worked for "Relics" (or was it "A Nice Pair"?) :D

I've ECHOEd the call for "Wish You Were Here" to be released in the current
    quad mix, whoosh and all, in previous posts.

While looking around online, I came across the following at http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/timeline.html

1971:
    21st September: Quadraphonic mix of "Meddle" at Command Studios.

26th September: Quadraphonic mix of "Meddle" is completed.

But I'm not holding by breath for original mixes.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.