What would you ask David Marks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Future Nostalgia, Apr 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I actually had the great pleasure of being able to bug him for an hour with a bunch of BBs fan questions in a situation where he couldn't really walk away (on set for a tv show appearance he was shooting), and when I tried to be self-aware enough to admit maybe this all was aggravating, he kindly said he is well aware of what his life owes the BBs and their fans and is happy to talk about it.

A question I wanted to ask him but didn't so would love if you did: does he recall Mike back in the early days showing any obvious annoyance with Brian writing with R Christian G Usher etc.....did the whole "I should be the one writing with Brian around the piano" thing go back that far?

Ryan Lux likes this.
  2. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast Thread Starter

Hi Brian. I did the interview last night and only just saw your question I’m afraid. He’s very personable company isn’t he!

Tom Perry and Rupe33 like this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Doubt that Mike was annoyed by Brian writing with other artists. Mike wrote "Surfin' Safari" by himself, and continued to co-write most of their biggest hits throughout 1963. Their singles sold well, and Mike has always had a credit on "Surfin' Safari" and "Be True to Your School". Mike also contributed steadily to their albums. Mike has between 3-5 writing credits from the Surfin' Safari through Shut Down, Vol. 2 albums.

4. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Where do we find the podcast?

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Jon Stebbins' book about David is required reading for any BB fan. He literally had the perspective of living across the street and then becoming their friend and then in their band. And the book demolishes a few of the tales of their early days. The real story is fascinating.

Bill and Tom Perry like this.
  6. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Ask him if he regrets doing the Nascar album (a low point in BB history)?

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I wished I could have asked him some deep BBs questions regarding his rhythm playing in their earliest days. I always got the impression on all the instros on the Surfin' USA album that the interplay between he and Carl Wilson was seemed modeled off The Belairs' sound. At least on Surfin' USA it reminds me of The Belairs. The Beach Boys did perform Mr. Moto live during 1962, so it's clear they were familiar with the sound...

8. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

That may be right, but I think the Mike we've grown to know and love has the ability to be annoyed by lots of things one might think it would be easy not be annoyed about.

I was curious to hear if the guy in the room with them then had any memories, but just plain forgot to ask it. He was game to react to pretty much any topic at the time, the very kind Mr. Marks.

9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Beat me to it

10. Future Nostalgia

Hey Tom.
    If you listen to podcasts, it’s called Sending Signals, and it’s on Spotify and Apple podcasts, and the other major platforms. Or else you can visit sendingsignals (dot) simplecast (dot) com.

Will post here when the David Marks interview comes out but there’s a big back cat of episodes with the likes of Chris Hillman, Stewart Copeland, Nils Lofgren, The Zombies, various members of Genesis, Lloyd Cole etc.

Tom Perry and Rupe33 like this.
  11. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Thanks! Listening to the Steve Hackett / Steve Rothery episode.

Future Nostalgia likes this.
  12. Future Nostalgia

Thank you! Hope you enjoy!

13. Zalted

Zalted Forum Resident

He did? According to who? It's simple musically but I've never heard anybody say that Brian didn't write the chords & melody.

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Brian arranged the track, but Mike wrote melody and lyrics. Source is Mike's autobiography.

15. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Got to listen today - thanks for asking the Zevon question! He did bring up the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, which seems to confirm the tale as told in the oral biography. That was a sweet payoff, so thank you @Future Nostalgia!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll see if someone asks the question I'm thinking of....

17. Future Nostalgia

Ah glad it answered your question! Thanks so much for listening.

Rupe33 likes this.
  18. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, did he have anything to say on the subject of streaming music or royalties in general??
    Timing is everything and his lawsuit against UMG Recordings was filed a week or so after your conversation.
    “David Marks, an early member of The Beach Boys, has filed a class action lawsuit against UMG Recordings in which he accuses the company of shorting its artists millions of dollars from international streaming revenue.”

19. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

so funny if true, for zevon sang knowingly about the "big gorilla at the la zoo - stole the keys to my bmw - gorilla you're a desperado".

"now i hear, the ape got a divorce - he's laying low at 'lermitage of course".

see the difference? artistic license.. a short drive yet a world apart from the HHH - and no one cares about the HHH lol.

wish i still had my boxes of "werewolves of london" picture discs! they were the best ever. better even than linda on roller skates.

Rupe33 likes this.
  20. Future Nostalgia

Interesting. No didn’t ask him about that subject. Interviewed David Crosby recently who was very keen to bring it up!

coolcreek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.