What would you decide between 300K$ and 30K$ speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The most dynamic and natural sounding audio system that I had ever heard is the larger Horn Western Electric Vintage system. owned by my rich friend which I had never dreamed of getting.

I had been having good time in Seoul, Korea to listen to many high end and vintage audio not available in Seattle area since Nov 30th, 2018.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VjN1SHRiUWYxUGd0dk5qWTVQOEJNNXdMaEZ0RGZB

I had been blown away by the Horn Western Electric Vintage system four days ago.

I visited one more time two days ago to confirm my initial impressions.

It is almost close to the best one on the top with slightly smaller size (6ft W x 7ft H x 5ft D).

The spec is 4181 18 inch Field unit, 24A Horn, WETA 4144A Power supply, 594A Driver, 7444A network.

It will cost 300 K $ including shipping and custom duty to my listening room in Washington State, US.

My living room on second floor have enough space to have it with (30ft W X 25ft H X 25ft D).

It is going to by life time dream to get the Horn Western Electric Vintage system.

I have two good SET tube amplifier to drive it.

The first one is Silbatone 300B SET 8 W amp with original Western Electric tube made in 1930's.

The second one is Line Magnetic 508 SET 48 W amp refitted with NOS tubes.

The problem is the cost. If I want to get it, I have to break my piggy bank which supports my semi retired living.

My net asset in commercial rental building is around 3 M$.

But after paying 300k$ for the dream speaker, my cash reserve is going to be meager.

Thus I had been looking for second option.

[​IMG]

LM-3 3-way speakers - LM302 - 22A - LM555W - BA-18

I had not auditioned it yet. I may be able to do that if I visit Hong Kong or Main China.

As I contacted several source, I may get it transported at 30 K $ including shipping and custom duty to my listening room in Washington State, US.

It is a replica of Western Electric and Jensen system.

One more thing to note is that I had been happy with Lansche 4.1 speakers which I had paid 50K 11 years ago.

Even after getting one of the above horn speakers, I will keep Lansche 4.1 which has pristine treble out of plasma tweeter.

What will you choose if you were in my position.

Going for dream speaker paying 300K$ or settle for 30K$ speakers on the safe side.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

$30 k, at retirement you will be much happier with that extra $270 k than a possibly better sounding stereo.

TheVU, tin ears, RND4mGuy and 19 others like this.
  3. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

If I had endless cash as it seems you do,
    300 thousand, WTF?

Dynaudio C4- none better.
    Look at the top tier Dynaudio there’s higher models upwards of the C4 speakers.
    Have not heard a better speaker than Dynaudios’
    Heard them' save some cash and still own the best.
    Save room, wife pleasing as well, smaller footprint.

Are you serious 300 thousand dollars? 30 thousand dollars?

Dude.... are you hiring, want to make a donation to my slush audio fund, I’ll be free refer in your debt.

Enjoy your decision and music.

Three hundred thousand dollars.......
    My entire world is not worth. That much, stereo, car, home, assets, collections of stuff. Barely will break 50k

Wow

4. thomaskong

It is like the song "Fever"

Vintage Western Electric speakers are getting harder to get and get the more value with time passing by.

I bought pairs of WE 300B original made in 1930's at 3000$ 15 years ago, but now it cost 5000$ or more.

if I consider financial factor, it will be better to be on the safe side as you suggested.

5. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Well I am not surprised your head has been turned around! Seoul is audio nirvana and it can cast a spell! Giant used record stores in the subway, so many cool shops through out the city and a darn shopping mall devoted mostly to audio and much of it vintage. Just stay cool and get back home to that glorious system you already own.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'd rather you spend that $300K in the U.S, so my vote is for the LMs.

7. thomaskong

You must have been to Seoul before.

I agree with you that Seoul is audio nirvana.

There are more than 20 audio stores on the same floor giving you various options and chance to listen to all kind of systems including vintage.

I have 10 more days to stay here.

On Dec 17th, I will meet my billionaire friend who owns more than 10 original Western Electric vintage systems to get advice on this matter.

He is out of country on business trip now.

SandAndGlass and Fitero like this.
  8. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

****, I only have millionaire friends...

9. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Thomas,

I strongly recommend that you contact Vu at DejaVu Audio in Vienna, Va. before making any decision. Vu sells custom speakers with WE horns and drivers, and I am sure he can put together a system that has the WE sound you like at a significantly lower price. If you decide you can afford the 300K system plus shipping, then you may decide to buy it instead, but you should first learn about some alternatives that would not be quite as expensive.

10. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yes. I had business meetings a few times in Seoul. I absolutely loved going there and always came home with a fantastic selection of used records that would be all but impossible to find here in Canada. Enjoy your visit!

11. thomaskong

I already found Vu and DejaVu Audio through internet search.

Thanks a lot for your kind advice and I will contact Vu after being back to US.

12. thomaskong

Not many people can afford speakers costing more than 10K$.

Thus I understand your point.

But as an audiophile for 40 years, it is my dream to own Horn Western Electric system if I can afford.

13. thomaskong

Probably I will spend less than 10K$ in US to buy cables from time to time.

Not many US audio makers do make products to justify its high cost here.

MSB is over priced not justifying its cost to me.

Lyngdorf 2170 will give more than 90% performance of MSB Select II as Dac and Pre at 1/20 cost.

14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I wonder why I never see MBL mentioned when megabuck speakers come up. I’ve heard their small boxes and they are very impressive, I would love to hear the big ones!

Doctorcilantro, keiron99 and bever70 like this.
  15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think there are a number

16. thomaskong

Yes JBL also makes nice product to justify the cost.

Everest DD67000 - JBL Synthesis

I got tempted to buy this speaker about 12 years ago after hearing its explosive dynamics and natural soundstage.

It can be driven by low powered tube amplifier with 96 db/w efficiency.

Used ones cost less than 30K$.

I may also consider this one as another option.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

For 30K I'd get a pair of Klipsch P-39Fs floorstanders. All the dynamics and lively tonality your ears will be able to handle, and then some.

Manimal likes this.
  18. thomaskong

I have listened to some Klipsch

They are good but not up to my standard of at least JBL DD67000.

Paully and The Pinhead like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Poor guy might have to settle for the $30,000 speakers. Whatever is he going to do?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  20. sailfish

sailfish Forum Resident

As a very satisfied customer, I highly second the reccamendation of Deja Vu.

21. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I'd just get the upgraded stereo in an S-Class and be done with it. Music and Transportation. Can't beat that.

bever70 likes this.
  22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

At those prices and your financial situation, you simply MUST fly to HK or wherever if necessary to do so. Because when you use the words "retirement" and "cash poor" in proximity, that is not a felicitous combination. And I should think a trip like that could be fun :). Really I do not think it would make sense to spend such an enormous sum...I'd think it possible to find far less expensive but excellent speakers that happen to coincide felicitously with your hearing. And a sum like $270k...I'd be looking into room treatment, and distributed bass and/or sophisticated room correction. Interfacing that into the analog tube world, ah, an interesting combination and challenge.

Actually considering the characteristics of horns (in particular their oft-messy impedances which make passive filters not really work correctly), I've long thought that they would best be served with active crossovers, and better yet some time delay to align their propagation times. The trick IMNSHO would be to find crossover filters without pre-ringing.

[edit]...further consideration makes me think the bass could be horns custom-designed to interface to your room...like some of the crazy stuff at diyaudio.com. Otherwise, $30k or $300k, regardless of how good the bass transduction is you are still interfacing that into all the room modes.

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. thomaskong

I agree with you that I need auditioning the speaker before making decision to buy it.

The avatar photo shows my listening room on the third floor. If I get the horn speakers, I will move them to second floor with more space and height.

I also have two room correction devices Accuphase DG28 digital equalizer and Lyngdorf 2170.

But I will use digital equalization in the worst case that I can not tame the sound with acoustic treatment.

I have 40 years of audio history having gone through lot of things.

Thus I will be able to cope with most of small things.

24. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I vote for the vintage Western Electrics... I live near you in Washington state. I suggest you invite all S.H. TV members living in the Pacific Northwest over for a listening party. :cool:

25. thomaskong

My friend who is an expert in vintage WE speakers will assess it on Dec 17th.

If he does not like it's value, then I will give it up while being happy with my current speaker Lansche 4.1.

If my friend assess it to be worth 300K $, then I may go for it as long as I can afford.

After setting it up, I will tune it until I am satisfied with the sound through acoustic treatment, amp synergy and cables which will take more than a year.

Last hurdle is my wife's permission.

She likes privacy in my house.

Unless she give permission, I can not show my system to other people.

SandAndGlass, DPR, Fitero and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.