What would your next move be for upgrades?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by boyhitscar, May 23, 2020.

1. boyhitscar

boyhitscar Member Thread Starter

hoping to get some opinions on what my best next move is, i.e. what will give me the best bang for my buck on a part of my system to upgrade. it sounds great as is but i’m just curious what the next step(s) may look like. i’ll happily just enjoy the sound and put the money towards moar records but i’m curious if anyone thinks there are blatant gaps... or just an easy noticeable upgrade..

• SL-1200 mk7, no upgrades, stock RCA cable, nagaoka mp-150 cart
    • schiit mani
    • iphone X streaming Qobuz into schiit modi 3 via camera connector kit
    • i also run my Apple TV 4k into the Modi 3, optical input. so this system plays a lot of TV and movies.
    • RCA cables into amp are these: FosPower (2 Pack) 2 RCA M/M Stereo Audio Cable [24K Gold Plated | Copper Core] 2RCA Male to 2RCA Male [Left / Right] Premium Sound Quality Plug - 3FT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBVMJOV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Tc0XEbN94KZ6C
    • amp (receiver, technically): Yamaha RX-V471 - only purpose is two RCA inputs, headphone output, volume control (with remote - important!)
    • standard home depot 16g speaker wire
    • klipsch heresy 1s (recently replaced caps)
    • power sources - because apparently these can matter - everything is plugged into cheap power strips (CPS’s), maybe even a CPS plugged into another CPS
    • records are cleaned w a spin clean (yes even brand new ones!)
    • i live in queens and have neighbors right under me so i listen at pretty low/moderate volumes. although i’m sure they still hate me. i plug my beyerdynamic DT-770 studio cans into the yamaha sometimes if i want to crank.
    • i listen mostly to indie rock, electronic, acoustic, and jazz

what would your next move be?

appreciate it

2. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

Power conditioners only matter if you have dirty power. I bought mine when I lived in a 110 year old apartment building. I could hear the static from the speakers with no music playing from 8 feet away. The power conditioner fixed that.

16awg is a bit thin for speaker wires. Can your terminals support 12?

boyhitscar likes this.
  3. boyhitscar

ya i just put new terminals on the speakers. 12 gauge shouldn’t be a problem. any particular wire you’d recommend?

4. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

I would say your Yamaha AVR is probably the weak link. From the looks of your equipment list, you’re doing 2 channel only, even for TV/movies, so I’d replace the multi channel AVR with a nice 2-channel integrated. Maybe something like a Yamaha A-S801.

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Upgrade the Mani and get a power conditioner, there is no clean power in NYC buildings

head_unit and boyhitscar like this.
  6. boyhitscar

7. murphythecat

murphythecat Forum Resident

probably a better phonostage

boyhitscar likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

Replace the phono stage, cartridge or AVR.

bever70 and boyhitscar like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

bever70 likes this.
  10. Benzion

11. boyhitscar

@murphythecat @Helom

next cart would probably be mp-500, that up to snuff? any phono pre recs for that one?

bever70 likes this.
  12. Benzion

boyhitscar likes this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

Oh that opens such a can of worms. For short runs, physics says it is doubtful you would hear a difference, so if you get anything fancy be sure it is returnable if you don't. I like Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable because I'm an engineer and I like how that brand makes straightforward explanations without all the baloney that often accompanies expensive brands.

boyhitscar likes this.
  14. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

Really depends on your budget but I suspect the Parasound ZPhono XRM would be a good affordable upgrade over the Mani. The Ortofon 2M Bronze would be a substantial cartridge upgrade.

As for amplification, you'll be gobsmacked if you replace that AVR with a pre-owned tube integrated like the Cayin A50-T.

boyhitscar likes this.