Whatever happened to Rare Earth?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Growing up in LA I missed a lot of the great classic Motown hits, mainly because they didn't play them on local radio (or the Dance Shows on TV). So you'll have to forgive me when I say that the first time I heard "Roll Over Beethoven" I thought the Beatles wrote it. (I was really young).

The first time I ever heard "Get Ready" and "I Know I'm Losing You" was when Rare Earth did 'em. I really liked those guys. Is there a good (un-compressed) greatest hits CD out there?

I'll even embarrass myself further. Until I heard the Stones cover "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" I didn't even realize it was a Motown song.

The price of growing up in Los Angeles I guess....

2. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The All Music guide has a bit about Rare Eart at http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=But5uak5k5m3z

Seems that they broke up in 1978.

btw, I hope you've since seen to this serious gap in your musical education :D

3. Dob

Dob New Member

A friend of mine saw them perform here in the Detroit area about 10 years ago, at a local bar. He said they were excellent, much better (more energetic, I guess) than he expected...he didn't know how many original members were left, but I assume Peter Rivera was one of them.

Speaking of Peter Rivera, he has a website, www.peterrivera.com, plus it looks like he performs with a band of "all-stars", which you can check out at www.classroc.com

4. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have a transfer of the rare Q4 reel (Japanese)=>DTS of Get Ready, quadrophonic. Absolutely a must-hear. That was a great reel.

I believe there is a bit of Rare Earth that appeared on various Motown compilations, uncompressed, and there's the 2-CD set compilation that MIGHT ooze some pure sonics, but I'm not sure.

6. ashe

ashe New Member

I've got an lp of their album Ma but have never listened to it. I snagged it from a friend's family collection because the cover was great. I'll give it a spin.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Don't forget that neat version of "Get Ready" that I put on DCC's Toga Rock II directly from the never before released two track stereo mix (without the fake audience!)

Jack_Straw likes this.
  8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I just LOVE this band in their early days up to and including "Ma"! They were a hit in California too? Kool!

I have Get Ready (with the 21 minute 30 second title track that put them on the map!), Ecology, Ma and Greatest Hits and Rare Classics on CD and other stuff on vinyl (it's buried - not sure what I have any more!). I wish I caould find more CDs!

Their big hits up here were Get Ready, (I Know) I'm Losing You, Born to Wander, I Just Want to Celebrate, Good Time Sally and Hey Big Brother.

I've not heard these in a loooong time but I don't recall them being compressed at all. I don't believe they were ever "remastered".

The GH and RC is mastered by John Matousek at Soundworks West, LA CA - wherever that is ;) ). It has the warining that I tend to look for.... This program transferred from analogue tapes and may contain hiss.....

Guess I should give 'em a spin again!

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Steve:

I have never heard your (sans fake audience version) of "Get Ready"...That's gotta' be good since I always disliked that fake audience!

As for your question about the Greatest Hits comps. Compressed or non-compressed I'm NOT sure but what I am sure of is that with YOUR knowledge I need only mention who did the sound and you will probably know...

"Earth Tones: The Essential Rare Earth" 1994 Motown #31453-0357-2 was Digitally Remastered by Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch (All LP versions on this!)

The Best of Rare Earth (The Millennium Collection) 2001 Motown #012 159 603-2 was Digitally Remastered by Suha Gur (All LP versions on this!)

My personal favorite collection is a rare 2 on 1 CD of "Get Ready"/"Ecology"
    1986 Motown # MCD08033MD Mastered by John Matousek & Robert Robitaille (For some reason this CD has all LP cuts EXCEPT "I Know I'm Losing You" which is the original 45 edit, which I really enjoy!) The "Get Ready" album is, in my opinion, their best and most fun album to listen to today! Their non-hit originals, "Magic Key" and "In Bed" are great overlooked gems that sadly NEVER turn up on any Greatest Hits comps! I would look for THIS CD for starters!

I also have in my collection their CD called "MA" 1994 Motown #31453-0279-2 Digitally Mastered by Inglot & Hersch. I never had this album and I was just interested in hearing something else by Rare Earth when I found this sealed for $10 dollars a few years ago at a Chicago music store! I wasn't impressed with it, dispite being Produced by Norman Whitfield!

Hope this helps you!?!

Chris C

10. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

That's OK Steve. :) Up until 1995 I thought Elton John was singing "hold me closer Tony Danza"

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'm going to have to dig around the CD collection a bit and see what I have for Rare Earth 45 edits, which are the ones I prefer, though if you want the stereo 45 mix of "Get Ready" it's easy enough to find: buried amidst that endless Lp version some of you dig so much(gives me the yawns). 'Course on TOGA ROCK II somebody(too late to keep him nameless!) left out the audience sounds, so when I wanted to burn that one for a CD, well....no dice. Sounds great, though, but I just can't listen to it unless it has the overdub--still a singles buyer first, I got so used to it--and the friggin' thing took forever to hit the national top ten--that it's ingrained in the membrane, to quote some hip-hop outfit whose name I can't remember this early in the a.m.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive Rare Earth singles comp, though I do think Grant mentioned VERY BEST OF RARE EARTH a while back, but it seems to be OOP, dammit. I have a feeling I can really use that one, and I'm not alone, obviously; at the least, the erstwhile starter of this thread could use a copy too, apparently. Rare Earth always had a raffish kind of charm, but they make me laugh more than anything, because those attempts at Motown classics were definitely garage-band stuff; hell, they were Motown's resident white boy bar band for a few years. I once quoted Dave Marsh somewhere as saying about just the signing of the group to the label(I think they first recorded for Verve, believe it or not), "Where was Berry Gordy--out to lunch?" Well, no, probably in L.A., making plans for that big movie mogul career that never quite took off.
    My sister thinks Rare Earth's early stuff is fantastic, despite my best efforts to dissuade her...

Oh well...we all have our guilty pleasures, and Rare Earth is guilty as charged. Norman Whitfield, too, come to think of it. Great producer/writer; Motown 1968-73 would have been dead in the water without him.

ED:cool:

12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Ed, The Very Best of Rare Earth (Suha Gur 20bit remaster) is a surprisingly good recording, IMO; I didn't know that this title was OOP though; I picked mine up a year or so ago from a used CD bin for $7.98.

BTW, Steve, et al., there is an excellent DVD (well, some of it is excellent anyway) under the title "The Living Legends of Rock 'n Roll, Live from Itchycoo Park" that includes a Rare Earth performance from a couple of years back. One of the remarkable things about this video is that it includes rare live performances of bands like Steppenwolf with John Kay and Rare Earth with a stunningly clear widescreen anamorphic presentation. This DVD is a real gem, IMO; the only drawback is that several of the bands have few original members performing in them and in these instances it doesn't do justice to memories of the originals. On a positive note though, while I'm not absolutely sure, I think Peter Hoorelbeke [aka Peter Rivera] is still "fronting" the band behind the drum kit and in excellent voice! Note: The performance is tight and he sounds right, but if it's him, the dude sure hasn't aged as much as I would've thought for a classic rocker from the early 70's! :)

:cheers:

Cat

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The "20 Hard To Find Motown Classics" include 4 hits by Rare Earth in Volumes I and II.

Sound uncompressed to me. They are very early CDs so likely to be straight transfers from compilation tapes.

14. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Not to take credit away from anyone, but were the Motown Session guys used on the Rare Earth sessions? I heard "Get Ready" a couple months back and I could have sworn it was James Jamerson on bass.

15. Sckott

It is. I have Vol II with "Celebrate". That's exactly the CD I meant.

16. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Sckott.

Do you know if Volume IV is available with the original cover style, not the one that looks like a single?

Thanks in advance.

17. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Re: Re: Whatever happened to Rare Earth?

Actually he have been singing just that :eek:

Just kidding Reg

Peace

Norm

18. Sckott

I doubt it. I haven't seen one in years.

Confirmed: "Earth Tones" The Essential Rare Earth, UNi 31453-0357-2 does sound really good, but is maximized and compressed in places. "Get Ready" sounds a tad bright, but takes a beating on the UV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.