What's a good mid level Led Zeppelin II pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gibsonfan159, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hi dear compatriot,

Undeniably! The RL mastering is fantastic! I explain here why (post # 1632):

Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet deluxe

:tiphat:

patel kismet likes this.
  2. Christophe Lethimonnier

In french!

Salut cher compatriote!

quelques fichiers qui pourrait t'intéresser? j'espère que ta connection Internet refonctionne car certains fichiers sont lourds! lors des numérisations, javais uniquement nettoyé mes vinyles avec une brosse et un une poire. générallement lorsque le vinyle est quasiment neuf, ça passe très bien! Sinon pour un nettoyage plus profond, j'utilise mon Gel wynil qui est vraiment très très bien et peu coûteux. tu peux nettoyer une vingtaine de disques. le nettoyage est de un euro par vinyle! Pour une collection modeste ( disons moins de (àà LP, c'est largement suffisant!).

Maintenant un peu de musique pour le week-end qui arrive!

House of the holy ( A6/B3) probablement la deuxième presse...dans l'hypothèse qu'il existe une première matrice A5/B3!)

LZHOTHspanishpressingsideA.wav

une intéressante prise alternative de Whole lotta love ( rough mix); disponible sur le disque compagnon de la réédition 2014.

LZIIwholelottaloveroughmix.wav

un pressage largement discuté sur les forums : Led zeppelin I George Piros mastering 1973/1974 :

LZIPiros1974MOnarchsideA.wav

LZIPiros1974MOnarchsideB.wav

enjoy!

patel kismet likes this.
  3. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Could anybody tell me anything about my edition of Led Zeppelin II? Here's the full Discogs page. I ask because I noticed it's going for a decent amount.

Sound-wise it sounds pretty good to me, though I've never heard an RL or GP to compare it to.

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Unless there is also a scratched out Atlantic matrix in the dead wax along with the club number, I steer clear of that club's pressings.
    Usually poorly sourced.

5. drgroove66

drgroove66 Active Member

I have a Spanish 1970 1st press of LZ III and it is indeed cut by Alvear. His wave signature is etched in the runout grooves in side 1. This is the edition:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

Mine is A7 instead of A6. It does not come close to the 1st UK plum (at least my copy), because signal is weaker and you have to turn up the volume (maybe an already worn stamper, you never know), but it sure sounds great.

6. Christophe Lethimonnier

Oh great! A Spanish contributor! You may be able to help me because some pressings in your country are real headaches! Including Led Zeppelin lll! I have 2 pressings of your country. The first (A5 / B3 stamped machine) seems to be the second pressing released in your country. Just a speculation. It's a very strong cut ... to the point that on some titles, I have to get up to lower the volume! The second pressing is dated 1981. Here are the matrix engraved by hand: Matrix / Runout (Runout, A-side, hand-etched, variant 2): HATS·421·56·A·IN'
    Matrix / Runout (Runout, B-side, hand-etched, variant 2): HATS·421·56·B·IN'. Sounds completely different! I speculated that it could be an "Alvear" cup without saying it! Some criteria resemble his approach and others do not! Including a weak signal while most of the pressing "Alvear" I own are cut rather loud! The relative weakness of the signal has nothing to do with a hypothetical wear of the matrix nor the quality of a mastering. But a loud cut is always advantageous because it minimizes background noise or crackles, pops, and exempts you from buying a big amplifier like a building!
    Are you sure that your pressing was released in 1970. If this is the case we have proof that "Alvear" was already working in 1970 for the Hispavox label. Do you have other pressing cut by him? Including "House of the holy" and "Physical Graffiti"? Do you know if he worked for other labels? The most disturbing are the first stampings stamped with the machine. Difficult to determine if they are certified presses "Alvear" ... but sounds great! An example. My Led Zeppelin lV (A5 / B3 stamped machine) sounds even more "Alvear" than my "Alvear" (A11 / B10 hand etched ) !? The riff of "Rock'n roll" is even fatter and heavier than my "Alvear" or my two Piros! Looks like the Sex Pistols! Absolutely enjoyable! A real headache your pressing but you are forgiven because it sounds wonderful ! :righton:

patel kismet likes this.
  7. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I enjoy my 2014 reissue more than my RL... :hide:

jojo209 likes this.
  8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

That's the one I just ordered, last night :cool::cool:

9. Christophe Lethimonnier

Here is a graph of a standard Led Zeppelin lll pressing. Over all those I heard were in the same league. Same for the Spanish Reissue 1981.[​IMG]

Now my A5 / B3 pressing. The entry level is much lourder. Huge dynamic !

[​IMG]

Slick Willie and James_S888 like this.
  10. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Thanks for the info. I just got an @GP copy and compared it to that club pressing and it was night and day difference. The GP pressing had much wider soundstage, better midrange and generally less dull.

ODShowtime and Slick Willie like this.
  11. Slick Willie

:righton:

12. Christophe Lethimonnier

I did some research. Apparently there are at least three pressings with an A side cut by "Alvear". A3, A6 and A7. I can not understand why to cut several times the A side and continue to use old plates for side B. Now I speculate on the existence of a Led Zep lll "Alvear" two-sided! :winkgrin:

13. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Perusing this thread for the first time as I have never owned a copy of LZII in any form (or even listened to the album in its entirety :wtf:). Today at a car boot, I found a copy of the 1977 Canadian KSD-19127 (this one: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II ) for only £12, in VG+ condition, and decided to take a punt on it. A few minor scratches with some ticks, but it had been machine cleaned, and the vinyl is very quiet. Not a touch of groove wear or IGD. This copy has got the volume swell at the end of "Thank You"--apparently some of the Canadian 1977 reissues were mastered with this bit of music cut off. I can't yet speak to the bass or overall EQ in relative terms since all I've got are needledrops of the RL/UK/Classic that I've never heard...however, I'm gonna lose my LZII virginity on this copy tomorrow, when I can crank it in relative peace. Will report back, although obviously there are many experts here already; for instance, I know @Stefan has had good words to say about the Canada LZII's that haven't got the end of "Thank You" cut off.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I would agree. There really is no other alternatives. 30 bones in the used Zep world doesn’t amount to much

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. jojo209

jojo209 Forum Resident

Great info here! To share my 2 cents: I'm not a newbie to owning vinyl, just to searching out early pressings. I only became aware of the different LZ cat #'s in recent years! So a couple years ago I decided to treat myself to 4-digit versions of the first 5 LZ's. Upon initial listening, I was impressed with the sound of all of them, EXCEPT for II, it sounded really boxy, midrangy, distant, over-compressed... I threw on my 5-digit version from the early 80's and it's so much bigger, fuller, open... it makes the 4-digit sound like it was dubbed from a cheap boombox. Finally looking it up here, it seems my 4-digit is the aforementioned post-RL (mine's a Specialty), and my 5-digit is a George Piros. Here are my #'s:

Bad-sounding SD-8236:
    labels: ST-A-691671/2-SP
    runoffs: ST-A-691671/2-M/N (sideways S logo) LW AT W

Great-sounding SD-19127:
    labels: ST-A-691671/2-RI
    runoffs: ST-A-691671/2-X (faint XX) (something that looks like @A) gP (faint III PRC) (faint upside-down PR)

I'd still love a decent-sounding U.S. 4-digit LZ II though, any suggestions for something not as rare or costly as an RL?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  16. Slick Willie

Perhaps an earlier Piros cut.

jojo209 likes this.
  17. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Especially if you've only ever heard the 90's Page CD remasters. Treble boosted crap! I couldn't believe how much better Zep sounded on vinyl vs. CD!

18. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Christophe, did you ever pick up a UK Plum of III? The best yes? ;-)

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I had an earlier (1974?) Piros cut. I got rid of it. It doesn't hold a candle to his later attempt in '77.

20. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

What's in the deadwax of the early Piros cut? I assume the later one is the X/XX cut?

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I don't know. I don't have that one anymore. But yes, the good one has (STA 691671-X) in the dead wax.

22. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hello dear Neilson77,

Unfortunately, I have not yet had the opportunity to compare my Spanish pressing with the first UK pressing. So I cannot comment on this. But the first pressing from your country is still on my want list. :agree: It is now difficult to find a near mint copy with a decent price. But I am patient. ;-)

Neilson77 likes this.
  23. Christophe Lethimonnier

Yes that is my feeling too.

24. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Hi Christophe

How does the Spanish pressing of LZ IV compare to other reputable pressings of this album? Is it also cut hot like other Spanish pressings you’ve spoken about?

25. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi dear Barye,

I have two Spanish pressings of this masterpiece. The first (A5 / B3 stamped machine) is a real Hot Mastering and probably the hottest pressing in my collection! Rock'n'roll sounds very heavy and invigorating on this pressing! stereophonic image characteristic of the time. The second, probably released between 1976 and 1981, was mastered by "Alvear", a wonderful engineer. This one managed to breathe a thankless mix ... a real challenge! It's just the best three-dimensionality I've heard from this album. A sensual and very organic sound ... superb!
    To go further, Alvear has mastered other Led Zeppelin LP's including the first album (handwritten A9 / B6) and second album (handwritten A8 / B8 - © 1981). These have a huge 3D scene! The best I have ever heard!:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.