What's a good mid level Led Zeppelin II pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gibsonfan159, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Here Led Zeppelin IV mastered by "Alvear" (A11 / B10). We recognize his signature which looks like a small wave.

[​IMG]

I hope I have helped you a bit !

:tiphat:

dee, multirock and Byrie like this.
  2. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Thanks Christophe!

I have messaged a Discogs seller asking him to confirm if his 1971 pressing of LZ IV has the little Alvear wave … fingers crossed he knows what I’m talking about!

dee and Christophe Lethimonnier like this.
  3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

nosticker and Licorice pizza like this.
  4. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, all 8 track tapes of LZ II, and cassette tapes duplicated by Ampex prior to 1975, were "Mastered, duplicated, and Quality Audited on Ampex Tape, using Ampex equipment". Then WEA aka Warner Communications, Inc switched to Capitol Records for manufacturing their records and tapes.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have this LP, mine is German pressed, and very excellent.

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

The RL/LH (Lee Hulko) pressing used to be reasonably priced but that one too has shot up in recent years.

8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

No, you definitely will not be disappointed! I have 2 of those Monarchs and a UK Allen cut. My first ever UK Plum is arriving from eil.com in a few weeks.
    :cheers:

jwoverho likes this.
  9. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

It was the wrong pressing… AT/GP ON side two only… which sounded great.

The first side sounded horrendous.

So that went back. And I have another on the way … this time, according to seller, definitely with AT/GP on both sides. Fingers crossed…..

10. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Nice information about spanish pressings. I’m living in Spain right now, so I’m starting my search for these Alvear masterings.
    I have the opportunity to buy a Zeppelin IV A-11/B-10. Do you think it’s better to find a first A5/B3?
    Thanks!

11. Christophe Lethimonnier

dee and multirock like this.
  12. Christophe Lethimonnier

If you manage to find Led Zeppelin lll (with the B side too!), House of the holy and Physical Graffiti, all mastered by Alvear ... I commit suicide !!! ;):D

ArpMoog and multirock like this.
  13. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

I’ve just bought a sealed copy of the spanish 1981 Led Zeppelin II. In a couple of days I will have it in my house. I hope to find a A8/B8 pressing inside!!
    About the Zeppelin III, I can’t find any Alvear copy, but I have the chance to buy a A5/B3. Is that the one??
    I will be looking for all those others pressings and I let you know!
    Kind regards

dee and Christophe Lethimonnier like this.
  14. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I got interested in the Alvear mastering so I went and bought a copy. It turned out to be in excellent condition but very off-center on side 1. Bought another one with different matrix no's and same off center disaster only this time on side 2. So I decided to give up on the Hispavox pressings.
    Oh and the sound is good but not a patch on RL.

15. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi,

You have found a sealed pressing ... great! If it's dated 1981, I think there's a good chance it's an A8 / B8! ;-) I wish it for you!

For led Zeppelin lll, If your copy is near mint ... pick it up there! This A5 / B3 is the "best" version I have heard of this wonderful album! Very difficult to find also because probably the first or second pressing!

Yes there is a version with the A side mastered by Alvear. Probably the same episode as the German RL side 1 press ... but i dont think there is a Led Zeppelin lll fully cut by it !?

For House of the holy, I don't believe there is Alvear pressing !? But since you are close to Portugal, you should look for this version because it uses the legendary George Peckham mastering!

keep me informed !

Good hunt !

multirock and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but at 1st read I took it that you suggested an RL of III exists.

17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

A work friend gave me a box of her records one time and it was great but I think this exact record was the best one in there out of 150. Near Mint. Free. Awesome.

18. Christophe Lethimonnier

Curious ?! I had no problem with my Hispavox presses. That's a shame !
    I don't understand your phrase "not a patch" but I'm guessing your preference is RL. Personally, I like the RL pressing as much as the Alvear pressing because I consider that they are inseparable!

19. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Hard to disagree.

20. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Yes my impression is that the Spanish is not quite up to RL and UK Plum pressings. My Hispavox copies are A6\B4 with Alvear signature on side 2 only and A7\B6 with signature on both sides.

21. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Which Led Zeppelin album are you talking about?

22. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

This is the Led Zeppelin II thread I thought.

dee likes this.
  23. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Nice! Happy with that.

Well, the first one I purchased was a dud... the seller hadn't listed the right pressing: 2nd side was Piros, 1st side was, err... not (slash, godawful).
    Ordered a second pressing after having learnt my lesson and asking the new seller to double-check that both sides were Piros.... and got what I wanted. Record was genuine VG+ and sounded fantastic. The Piros adulation here on SHF is warranted.
    Sidenote - I got a double-sided Piros 1973 pressing of LZI as well and it too is great... it's also the thinnest record in my collection...like CRAZY thin/bendy... just goes to show the record weight thing means absolutely nada.

Thievius likes this.
  24. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Is your Piros a '77 with -X cut on side 2? I'm curious if the -X has the tape damage in guitar solo on Heartbreaker and in the beginning of Livin' Lovin' Maid. I have the '75 -W Piros cut that has the damage and also later -CRC-4 Piros cut which exhibits same damage but having had got worse by that time.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

LZ II US vintage copies are either RL, Piros, or garbage, in my experience. Glad you got a good one finally!

That's odd about the LZI, but at least you have that too so you're reasonably set for those two. Hundreds of dollars to get marginal improvements at this point. Well the RL is more than marginal, but the Piros is great in its own right.

Byrie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.