What's going on at Classic Records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stax Fan, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I received an e-mail from Classic Records today containing their 2003 CES press releases. Among the news was the announcement that Classic Records will be releasing The Classic Roy Orbison Series. The following titles will see separate stereo and mono releases pressed on 200g Quiex Sv-P:

"Lonely and Blue"
    "Crying"
    "In Dreams"
    "Greatest Hits"

According to Classic Records, the mono mixes were/are simply fold-downs of the stereo mixes per Bill Porter's original instructions. I wasn't aware of this. Classic states in the press release, "The stereo versions have historically been more sought after because of their relative scarcity but which is really better?" They can't be serious. As I've said before, I have some Classic pressings I'd never part with, but I'm beginning to think they'll release anything that weighs 200 grams.

http://www.classicrecs.com/frames/classicrecs_frames.cfm?page=/newsletter/newsletter/newsletter.cfm?Article=89

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

3. Stax Fan

I should point out I like the idea of releasing both mixes, but if one is a fold-down of the other, what's the point?

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The difference?
    Other than one was probably cut with their vintage mono Westrex head and the other with a stereo head, nothing. :confused: Weird stuff.
    Dan C

5. Stax Fan

If the mono is just a fold-down of the stereo, there's nothing different there in the mix. Why bother?

6. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Like I have said before.....

WE ARE AT THEIR MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:

7. $$$$$

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

First of all, that they're all 'fold-downs' is BS, plain and simple. "Oh Pretty Woman" has a line difference in the lyric on the 45 mono version that's different on the stereo mix("Come to me baby" instead of "Come with me baby" or something like that). I have most of that material in mono--45 and Lp--and while many Lp cuts could be simple reductions to mono--with some Eq adjustments--too many of those 45's sound too different in some fashion to be just straight reductions of the stereo mix. I've always suspected many 'pop' acts were recorded and mixed this way, but I don't consider Orbison one of them.

But even if a lot of the Lp cuts and some singles were 'fold-downs,' this in and of itself doesn't make them 'the same,' because there was certainly some significant Eq tweaking at work to make them sound sharp and clear over an AM signal. Minimal adjustments might be made for Lp cuts, but 45's were always another matter.

Yes, when Steve gets back we definitely need to hear from him on this.
    But "Oh Pretty Woman" is Exhibit A that at least one 45 was not a reduction mix.

ED:cool:

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Fascinating, Ed. Having only ever heard the big "O" in stereo, I did not know this. Hmmm. Why couldn't they take the extra effort to find the true mono mixes and issue those? Unless they don't exist anymore(as per the mono mixes for the first Doors album).

If they are fold-downs, then they are not for me!

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Talk about two steps forward, three steps back.

Yeah, Classic Records has done great things, but what the heck is this?!?

With all due respect, I don't expect Steve to comment.

11. Todd Fredericks

To be honest, I wish Classic Records would drop this "comparison" BS with all these titles and just issue more titles! I've been around the block once or twice so far and I think I understand the differences between mono/stereo or 33/45 or mono 33/mono 45 or stereo 33/stereo 45 or blue vinyl/black vinyl or 180g/200g or male/female or hot/cold or $1/$100 or whatever the heck they're trying to "educate" (edumacate) us about?!

Todd

P.S. When this whole process finally ends will they sell us a degree (offered in different types/grades of parchment)?

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Money is the root of all evil.

ClassicRecs is starting to sound like the Diet Coke of evil.

13. nin

nin Forum Resident

Hope they did a mistake when they wrote that. Maybe someone could mail them and ask?
    But I must say I REALLY look forward to the Procol Harum mono reissue of their first album! That could really be GREAT!

-Mattias-

14. nin

nin Forum Resident

Up, up, up!! See if Steve has something to say about the Roy Orbison mono issue?

15. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I have a mono button....

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I didn't have a chance to ask Mike Hobson about the Roy when I saw him at the show. We talked about the Procol Harum mostly.

When I was working on the Orbison stuff for DCC, Bill Porter told me that the mono, stereo and three-track were run simultaneously for that first Roy album. Bill actually said that the balance favored the voice in the mono fold-down (for obvious reasons) but all in all he mixed (live) for stereo.

17. Todd Fredericks

So which ones are you going to get, Steve? :)

Todd

18. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I was at CES and bought the mono pressing of "Lonely and Blue"(the only one they've released so far). I listen to it at the show and again last night and my take on it is: clean and smooth sound, Orbison's voice is a bit more upfront then I can remember(compares to my original), but it is missing some of the "airy" warm sound that I liked and the background instrument are quite hallow....

Classics was selling the Orbisons for $30 each or $50 for both mono and stereo instead of the show price $25 on all other titles????$$$$.
    Ron is right, we are at their mercy(for now)!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.