What's Going On At Schiit Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by parman, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

I've already demonstrated Schiit Audio customer service responsiveness within the past 2 hours. Received an automated response in less than 20 seconds; a response from a customer service rep within 20 minutes and a third response from another company rep within 10 minutes of the previous one. And I don't even have a product or order issue that needs to be resolved

quicksrt, adamos and Stone Turntable like this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’ve ordered five products from them in the last few years and never had any issues with their customer service either. And in the handful of times I’ve contacted them about something they were helpful and responsive.

Stone Turntable and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

That's Shaloppaloop…sorry to hear....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2022
  4. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Schiit has been great for me…I have have three POS’s myself.
    Looking forward to the Tyr’s and Urd, hopefully in 2022.

5. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

I have a few components from Schiit and I'm happy with them. However, I didn't have a good experience at their retail store in October. I wrote to them about it and said I'd be happy to discuss it with them. I never heard back from them, apart from getting the automatic response.

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I can't speak to this company's particular situation, but I will tell you I deal with a lot of vendors just for personal stuff in my life. And for the most part, service has never been worse-- whether it is Covid, supply chain, or using that as an excuse to cut staff (or they can't hire good people), the reality is-- the support and service you expect just isn't there.
    I remember years ago, when Citibank went from retail banking to "who cares" about individual accounts. Let's commoditize small countries instead.
    I used to get amazing service-- foreign currency hand-delivered with a phone call. Now, try and find a banker to return your call. Ditto Amex when I had the big card. But it declined in perks over the years to the point where I just downgraded to a lesser card b/c the service wasn't there.
    I'm sure in the "bespoke" world you can still get personal service. You'll pay for it, sometimes dearly (by any reasonable measure), but I suspect if you called about buying or even getting time to use a Gulfstream on a time share, you'd get pretty good service.
    I have a vintage toilet. Like one of those old high tanks that disappeared in the middle of the 20th century. I maintain it because I like it and there's an outfit in California that supplies and may be the actual manufacturer of some of the parts for these things. I call that guy-- he's there. Power outage- no problem- he'll write up a manual order and make sure it goes out the door on time. Been in business 45 years.
    Ditto another outfit that repairs vintage lighters, like Duponts. Call Dupont and you get jammed- these guys will rebuild your lighter and turn it around in a couple weeks. Another one of those small businesses that has managed to hang on despite huge change.
    Not railing against the rich but am bitching a little about the big corporate mentality. In reality they don't give a ****. I don't know if Schitt falls into that category but at a certain point, when things become very corporate, they start to really suck.
    Respectfully,

Tony C. likes this.
  7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Talk to people? WTF - that is the whole point of shopping online so you never have to talk to people ever again. If the guy wanted to talk to people who wougo to a dealer. :biglaugh:

Neil S. Bulk and Rolltide like this.
  8. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Nothing but positive experiences with Schiit.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. Automatic Changer

Automatic Changer Forum Resident

Same. Have placed several orders with them and their packing/despatch speed has always been fantastic, as has their responses to any general queries.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I've ordered a few things over the past few years. I just received a Valhalla - it took the usual week or so to come out East from CA. They forgot to pack the stick-on feet - I emailed them and they got back to me a day later to notify that the feet were shipping out that day. I had questions about the other orders, had to do an exchange with one item, and never had any problems/delays - I like dealing with them.

ssmith3046 and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  11. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Calling is always an option with Schiit and depending on the situation, they will ask you to call them to discuss your particular issue. As someone that would receive over 100 email per day, 5 days a week, I would pick up and respond to a phone call faster than it would take me to go through each and everyone of those emails and sometimes, in order to clarify or obtain additional information, I would call the person rather than respond with another email. Anyone that's had to deal with a large volume of email on a daily basis as part of their job duties, in addition to other tasks and responsibilities, will tell you email takes time to go through and can be a real PITA.

As consumers, we might think about being a bit more patient and cut businesses some slack. There may be only one or two people responding to email and that most likely is not their only job responsibilities.

E-mail Is Making Us Miserable

Schiit Audio primarily offers their gear direct to the customer, although you can purchase some of their Schiit via Amazon. So yeah, you want really lousy customer service and you don't want to talk to people ever again -- go to Amazon. :biglaugh:

quicksrt likes this.
  12. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

I'm looking at the Freya + to start enjoying tubes on my basement system. Right now, that system only has an old Sony Receiver (str-de597) and a Topping E30. I plan to work my way up to Benchmark amp and DAC but money isn't there yet. Is it possible to hook the Freya+ to a receiver so that I can buy one thing and wait on the Benchmarks?

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageHandler/trim/840/546/products/2004/158/x158std597b-b.jpeg (rear of Sony receiver)

If not, would it make sense to get something like an Aiyima A07 desktop amp since it is fairly cheap ($80) and can hold me over?

13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I’m seeing a lot of this in forum discussions, Richard. Folks complaining to no end about customer service and yet not willing to call them. I get it to a certain extent. I also don’t want to talk on the phone if I can help it. However, before I go online to discuss the level of service from a dealer (or anyone) I will have exhausted all avenues of communication. Not saying that didn’t happen here.

ElevatorSkyMovie and Eigenvector like this.
  14. Diego Celorio

Diego Celorio Active Member

I'm sorry to regret that it is completley true their support is lacking right now. STRAP ON CAUSE IT WILL BE A LONG STORY (I want to be as clear as possible).

I've been buying Schiit products for I think three years now; love the brand. However, starting a few months ago a few "hiccups" happened with a few orders (something that is bound to happen after buying several things that need to be shipped across countries, I'm not blaming that on them). The problem is that in all the instances I've had some disappointing interactions with their customer service.

First it was on a faulty Vidar, the only thing they could do for me is either send me another one after I've sent the faulty one and pay for the whole trip (fair) or have me send them the faulty one, check if it was actually a factory issue and then refund me only the price of the item, neither the shipping to and from, nor the paid customs (that's harsh, really did not like it but... not too bad I guess.)

Second time it was an order of a pair of Tyrs and a Bifrost update. I had to cancel it do to the way they ship everything, you are stuck waiting as much time as the most delayed item in your oder takes to be ready (Bad logistics, yeah, still not too bad, and they do inform you about it ...except they don't do it at the time of the purchase. How hard could it be to send a confirmation message before fully placing the order?) Now, here's where my patience starts to run out... 15 days pass and they haven't cleared the witheld credit retention after the cancellation. I write to them... NEVER GOT AN ANSWER. It has been more than a month and the money is still being witheld and for my it is quite a big amount, it makes almost half of my credit line useless.

Third time, a month later I pay the rest of the card and decide I can finally get those dream amplifiers, I order them Tyrs just to have them stuck in customs. FedEx support was also extremely poor but that's a whole different nightmare. Anyhow, at least as soon as the package reached customs FedEx tells me, we need such and such information from the seller. (One would expect a little bit more care and attention from a direct to customer company for overseas shipments.) Same story as before, I receive no answer after writing to support. I write again two days later when they tell me I truly need the TAX ID and seller full information. At almost midnight of the next that finally Schiit support writes and says they'll contact FedEx. Not happy with the answer, I tell them that, rather than that, I'd like to cancel the order (I'm afraid of losing the amps as abandonment at customs). They tell me if they proceed with that I'll have to pay for the return etc, etc. I take my losses and ask them to recall the amps (By now I don't expect empathy or actual willingness from support to help me out). I also let them know how let down I feel about the way support has been handling the last situations I asked them for help. A whole day passes in which I send two more emails asking for the cancellation the last one with the title URGEN. Once again at almost midnight they finally answer(I'm in Mexico for f's sake, the time zone difference is maximum a +2hrs!!!). And here's when I'm done. Instead of undestanding, they just say sorry, sometimes we don't get to answer all the emails because of the amount, also, only one of your emails was marked as urgent... I rest my case. Feel free to ask questions, if I wasn't clear.

Great products, terrible client support (at least for the people outside the US).

somnar and nutsfortubes like this.
  15. Automatic Changer

Automatic Changer Forum Resident

That scenario is pretty clear in their Ordering FAQ

Have ordered directly from them multiple times the last few years (way cheaper than buying from local distributor) and for items in stock the communication was prompt and delivery into Australia within a few days via FedEx.

16. Diego Celorio

I'm sorry to say that for sometime that was my experience but not anymore. Right now I'm still with the ongoing nightmare of the Tyrs I tried to order. They finally got them back on the 3rd and even though they said it would take 7 business days tops they haven't refunded my money. Now I'm again trying to contact them through their email....They've lost all the goodwill I had for the company. sSchiit Audio: GREAT PRODUCTS, SHIITTY CUSTOMER SUPPORT

somnar likes this.
  17. Cougar

Cougar Forum Resident

All my Schiit orders were fast except for one, when I ordered my Saga+. It was shipped out fast and then no movement with tracking, next thing I knew it was going to N.Cali but I live in San Diego. Called them and let them know what was going on, they contacted the shipper and I got it 2 days later. It wasn't Shiit's fault, It was on Fedex.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Customer service must be a Hellish job.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  19. Cougar

Cougar Forum Resident

I used to work in a Service Center and some customers were too much. No matter how much you try to please them and make the situation right, they would just pour it on. But then you would get some that were so nice and understanding they made those bad days go better.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

So what happened since you started this thread over a year ago and last posted here with the above?

21. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

I have had a positive experience. Ordered a Loki Max and was told it was backordered 6-8 weeks and card would not be charged until it shipped. True to their word, charged the card when it shipped almost 6 weeks to the order date. Have since emailed with some setup, configuration issues, and received prompt replies within 24 hours.

22. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Positive experience here. Had my Gungnir DS upgraded to MB some time back. Good communication. Had the voltage changed to 115v also, just $25.00.

23. Diego Celorio

Final update:

I called the Schittr, that solved everything in less than a week! The manager got right on it and in a couple of hours everything was solved and in a week I had my money back.
    I know how tricky it can be to differentiate between "real" emergencies and those that could wait, that's the name of the game in Customer Service.
    I sadly don't remembe his name (extremely sorry!!!) but he fixed me up and got my faith restored in the company.

unclefred likes this.