What's going on with ClickRepair?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baby Driver, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been away from vinyl rips for a couple years and in the process, upgraded to a recent Mac running Big Sur. it seems my old version of ClickRepair wont run on the latest MacOS and I can't for the life of me find Brian Davies website anywhere!!

is ClickRepair abandonware?

Gary7704 likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Don't know. The website looks like it's under reconstruction. It does have a 2020 copyright at the bottom.

You could try e-mailing: [email protected]

3. dsockel

dsockel Forum Resident

I had to reinstall it last week. It was PITA. Somehow the latest java updates messed it up. I had to remove all the most recent java from the laptop and reinstall an older version. PM me.

4. Pete62

Pete62 Member

Problem solved!
    Peter

5. Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson Active Member

I'm in the exact same boat. I have an old Christmas album that I'm trying to convert for the holidays, and I'm more than happy to pay for ClickRepair if I can find it somewhere. Thank you!

6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Glad that there is a path forward on this... I use applications like CueTools that are getting ancient and I'm just waiting to run into this kind of problem. If you are comfortable enough with computers to get a virtual machine up & running, that can sometimes be a way to get outdated software to function properly. Then you're also not tied to a particular operating system. You do need a licensed version of whatever OS you want to install, which can be a problem. Windows 95 forever!

The Revealer and connorman95 like this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It needs to be the older and correct version of Java, and not just any "modern Java" download. And one much not update it. I also learned how to turn out the update nag screens coming in asking to update.

8. STRYPER777

STRYPER777 New Member

Hello,

I've tested the ClickRepairRT demo and works very well with my PC under windows. Unfortunally, seems to be impossible to buy a licence as the website is down... Only few days on my trial one...
    If someone knows a way to buy the license....
    Or if one day someone here decide to sell his licence, will be interested to buy it...

9. STRYPER777

STRYPER777 New Member

Hello,

I need your help :D I've click and reapir, with licence, 3.9.1 with clickrepairRT 1.3.
    I've as well a clickreparisRT.jar

I'm on a PC, and tried with W10, W7, with any java installation (last java, and all the previous java) but I can only start Clickrepair.exe
    The clickRepairRT.exe or .jar don't start
    ANy idea ? I only want to use clickrepairRT...

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is the version of java I have used for CR.

jdk-6u45-windows-i586

11. STRYPER777

STRYPER777 New Member

Thanks U. My CR runs, but not the CRRT.... That's crazy....

12. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Make sure you right-click the Application, click "Show Package Contents", open Contents > Resources > Java, and open "ClickRepair.jar". This worked for me.

13. The Warped Vinyl Junkie

The Warped Vinyl Junkie Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat with the program and Windows. I don't know how I've been doing vinyl-to-CD for 22 years and never tried clickrepair till about three or four days ago...and now I'm in love with it. I'm just afraid that my demo version will run out and I will be left without it, which would be one of the saddest ends to a love affair I've ever experienced. Does anyone have any idea whether the possibility exists that a clearinghouse could be established to sell licenses and forward the money to Mr. Davies? And, yes, I would be happy to take over a license that someone could be persuaded to part with...

14. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Is v3.9.9 (build 46j) the most recent version of ClickRepair? That was released in 2019 and seems to be the most recent version I can find.

15. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I just have the demo version and was about to buy a key. Is it still possible to get the full version. Or is somebody willing to sell a key or borrow it to me to use it for some days?
    Sad to hear that the developer is too ill too continue. Best wishes for him.

Frannypoo, could I please get the pdf? Thanks in advance.

sound chaser likes this.
  16. nidostar

nidostar New Member

Like the OP I have been away from restoring vinyl for a while and have only now tried to run Click Repair on my Big Sur Mac. So sorry to hear that Brian is unwell. Frannypoo I see you're offering to forward Brian's PDF instructions to remedy the problem. Any chance you could send me a copy please? Thanks in anticipation.

sound chaser likes this.
  17. Nocturnus

Nocturnus Well-Known Member

ClickRepair is great for vinyl recordings. I use it on Windows.

quicksrt, innergeek and sound chaser like this.
  18. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

I just bought new pc and I cannot find a link to buy CR anywhere...has anyone seen a link or have info on where it can be bought now?

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The author is in poor health. You can try reaching out to him and wait a few days for an answer. If you don't hear back, your options would be to buy a different application or to look for the latest version on other websites.

20. Emperor5353

I did reach out and he emailed right away. He is in a nursing home unfortunately. I went to my email provider and did a search and found my registration code from a few years back thankfully

quicksrt, Drifter and Strat-Mangler like this.
  21. Bill Kiefer

Bill Kiefer New Member

Hi Emperor 5353,
    Terribly sad news about the developer. I still have the key to my original purchase quite sometime ago, but it’s incompatible with Mac OS. Did your key work?

22. Emperor5353

Yes the key worked...thankfully I found that original code

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was life-changing for the needle dropper. I have been using it regularly and can't imagine ever not having it in my tool kit. I sold an LP off on Discogs for $75, and did a nice 24/96khz drop before packing it up and sending it out. Having CR on hand means I won't miss that LP on my shelf... the drop is that nice.

mahanusafa02, sound chaser and Solace like this.
  24. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Absolutely right. It’s a fantastic tool.

quicksrt and sound chaser like this.
  25. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Yeah, seems like it's abandonware at this point. I hope the developer makes it open source... it would be a shame to see it disappear entirely.

Strat-Mangler likes this.