What's going on with ClickRepair?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baby Driver, Nov 29, 2020.

1. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Very helpful post! Thanks Ivor.

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

As long as you have the JAR file, should run cross-platform.

As mentioned, there's even non-Oracle versions one can use, for that purpose.

3. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I ran the trial of Click Repair and quite liked it, it was very good for what i wanted. I run an alternative solution which is pretty good, but it involves a desktop PC (that has various server software on it for other application). i have an ok spec mini pc I would like to experiment with.

Does anyone know if i could still buy the license?

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

No-- no new licenses are being issued at this time.

- Kevin

Rob6899 likes this.
  5. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Thanks Kevin.

6. GreatNorthernDad

GreatNorthernDad Active Member

You seem to know what is going on on the inside here. I understand that the creator of the software was unwell, not expecting to recover, and may have since passed. Would you say there is any likelihood of someone close to the author restarting licensing with proceeds to the author or his estate? It seems like something that would be a no-brainer if the legalities could be arranged. The software is brilliant, and likely will prove the creator's most enduring legacy. It would be a shame to have it pass with him.

7. Joel Cairo

Control of ClickRepair and its associated intellectual property has been passed on to a new owner. At this time, that new owner is not issuing new licenses for the program.

Sorry I can't say any more, but that's where things stand, in a nutshell...

- Kevin

8. Andy Morris

Andy Morris Well-Known Member

I guess its good that someone has taken ownership of it. It is ridiculously good at what it does, along with the associated equalisation and noise reduction programs.

9. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Do any Mac users know if ClickRepair is still working on the new macOS Monterey?

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

or 11.6, Big Sur? (I have ClickRepair on an older Mac, so I'm not dead in the water, but I'd like to put it on my other laptop that I use more.)

11. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

I've got it working on Big Sur using the workaround posted in this thread, but I'm worried updating to Monterey will break it again.

MLutthans likes this.
  12. GreatNorthernDad

GreatNorthernDad Active Member

This is actually encouraging. That means that there is reasonably good odds of being able to buy licenses for it, OR of having its genius integrated into another product which can be purchased readily. Would you please tell us how once you are able to do so?

13. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Hopefully those who have already purchased licenses won't have to buy another piece of software just to use it. It'll be great if they can turn it into a plugin compatible with an inexpensive DAW like REAPER.

Grant likes this.
  14. Joel Cairo

Well, I'm pretty sure the new owners will announce it themselves in a grand manner, if & when they feel the time is right-- but if they give me permission to speak more freely before that, then I will. :righton:

- Kevin

15. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Gutted to get that Mr. Davies is at the end of life. ClickRepair was a game changer when I bought my copy some years ago. I still run the JAR file in Mac OS 12.x and it still works its magic. At the bare minimum, ClickRepair touches every audio file I work on. Flawlessly. As a guy who used to manually interpolate clicks [sometimes a thousand] per file over [very] long and tedious hours§, I would have gladly paid many, many times the cost of the license. I eagerly await news of the new developer making it available once more, as I have friends who are now processing rips and it would be a must-have for them. The first time I saw thousands of de-click events happen in seconds was a paradigm shift for the enjoyment of my hobby of making CDs The Man™ won't sell me.

§ - The hours [and hours] per disc spent manually denoising audio files is where my online handle comes from

Solace and Rob6899 like this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My needle-dropping process started out in 1999 after I read up on the best soundcards, editing software & CD recorder. I already had the record cleaning down cold, and learned how to remove major ticks and clicks by hand. Learned the Nero Burning Rom, and became aware of Japan made TY blanks. Always keeping a new stylus on the table.

So by the time I got hip to ClickRepair I was just about on my way to loading up my music server with all the drops I had been doing for a decade or so. All that work I had done capturing some of my favorite LPs (many not on CD at all), and then to have CR on hand to take them all to the next level was a watershed moment for listening. All my careful work went from being really good... to about perfection. By the time CR was a reality I could start doing drops of LPs that I was previously not interested in bothering with. Some nice LPs but marred by tick-ridden sections, too many to do by hand. Now I was taking some flawed LPs that looked fine but were just not really great players - and turning them into something outstanding.

I'm still doing drops, still using CR, and loving it. I'm using the same TT, same cart, same PC editing software, same deal. The only thing that has changed is I now do them in 24/96khz, and use an outboard recorder for the digital capture, most all get CR, and then they go to FLAC, no CD-Rs. It's been so great, good fun, great listening. Nice to have my record collection or a big chunk of it in digital and portable and sounding so good and clean in high-res. Still can't believe that they came up with software that was as transparent with such minimal effect on the music for tick and clicks.

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Personally I always found CR somewhat unintuitive and difficult to dial in when automated. But still the best software for the purpose.
    I tried using it the other day on a transfer of Sun 209, That’s All Right. Elvis’ first record… even on the lowest setttings (useless for accomplishing any significant noise removal) it was destroying the transients on the percussive (bass?) notes during the solo. Of course there is the manual mode where I presume I could reject or approve any individual fix, but I could never figure that out how that’s actually designed to be used.
    I ultimately opted to just turn off the click/crackle repair during the solo.

18. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I found the Mac version of Clickrepair but mine is an M1 Mac and it doesn't seem to want to run Clickrepair. Has anyone successfully got it to run on an M1 Mac?

20. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Finally upgraded to macOS Monterey the other day and running ClickRepair.jar still works, no additional modifications necessary.
    I can't speak for the M1 specifically, but running ClickRepair on recent versions of macOS requires a workaround posted earlier in this thread.

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try this weekend.

22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Does anyone have a copy of the last manual that Brian Davies posted before the Clickrepair site went down? I've been checking through my archives and the latest version I can find is from 2015.

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It took a couple of extra weekends before I got it, but yes it works with my Mac mini M1! I was a bit worried when I saw that the Java download in the workaround was labelled as for x86, but it installed ok and I just click on the Clickrepair.jar icon and it runs fine. First time I did, it asked me for my registration info, and once that was entered, it's registered and working fine.

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I was also happy to find that the latest version of the manual was included in the Mac download. so I'm good to go for now. It'll be interesting to see if the new owners come up with anything interesting to add to the program that would merit an upgrade.

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Some versions of iZotope have declicking functions. How do they compare with ClickRepair?