What's going on with ClickRepair?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baby Driver, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nocturnus

Nocturnus Well-Known Member

I use the standalone version. iZotope RX Advanced is good. I had better results with iZotope RX Advanced on damaged vinyl recordings.

2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

ex_mixer likes this.
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

$20 and change right now.

ex_mixer likes this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Plus, once you get into the RX line, even if it's onl;y elements, keep an eye out for deals and eventually, you'll be able to work up to RX Standard or even RX Advanced for a lot less than buying them outright without discounts. The site pluginboutique.com frequently has deals on iZotope software.

shadowhillway and FrankieP like this.
  5. LewisAnalogue

LewisAnalogue Well-Known Member

Any update on this?

6. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Sorry, no.

- Kevin

7. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I too am sad the Brian's health has gone down.

My Click Repair is running fine. I saved the original email with my codes. Does this mean on my next windows machine I should be able to install it?

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I've had mine now for about a dozen years and installed it a few times now between clean installs of Windows, hard drive failures, etc., and it's always worked fine. I'm also happy that I was able to install the Mac version of Clickrepair on my Mac Mini M1 with the workaround posted earlier in this thread (thanks to ivor and seastman for the info).

Gaslight, ex_mixer and ghost rider like this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've gone through multiple PC builds and CR still runs like a champ. Been using non-Oracle versions of JDK for some time now.

Also of note for Windows, your license key is embedded here : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\clickrepair. If you don't mind messing around with regedit, just backup that location and then at your next rebuild, import ans install the last version you have and away you go.

jamesc, ghost rider, Stefan and 3 others like this.
  10. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I installed the latest Java (update 333) on my new MacBook Air. My copy of Click Repair doesn't work. It won't launch. I looked at the workaround earlier in this thread but I don't know enough about computers to use Terminal and have any idea what I'm doing. I tried the download link in that post but it took me elsewhere (I downloaded the Eclipse Temurin Installer). I installed it. I opened Terminal and entered in what the post said but I had no idea what I was doing. Either way, nothing changed. I have Click repair running just fine on my 2018 MacBook Pro but I'm still running Mojave because Channel D's Pure Vinyl app STILL hasn't updated to be compatible with anything later. That's the only reason why I'm still on the OS on that computer (which is my main computer). Is Click Repair not working because it is the Monterey OS or because it's the M1 chip? If I upgrade my 2018 MacBook Pro to Monterey will Click Repair not work there either? Any help is appreciated.

11. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

dconsmack - Very good question. My main computer is an Intel 2017 iMac. Its OS is up to date. I just updated Java on that last week and I used ClickRepair last night and everything's groovy. Thanks goodness. So you may have a lead there with the different chip architecture. I bet you'd be able to use an Intel machine on Java. This is why we still have the 2008 iMac! Not only for iMovie/iDVD, but also this crucial factor! I'd not know what to do without ClickRepair.

dconsmack likes this.
  12. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

You might want to check which version of Java your OS is using. There’s got to be a terminal command to do this. I have ClickRepair and CkickRepairRT running fine on a 2015 Mac Mini with High Sierra and Oracle Java SE 8. I have tried it on Mojave and up and it didn’t work for me.

13. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Running Monterey 12.2.1 on an iMac 2017 with Click Repair 3.9.9 runtime with Java 1.8.0_331 ¡No hay problema!

14. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Just to clarify, i’m talking about ClickRepairRT running stable on a Mac. Not ClickRepair. RT is the realtime version which was later discontinued by the developer.

15. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I only have Click Repair 3.9.9.

sound chaser likes this.
  16. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I think this is the most recent (last/latest) version. Which is what I got.

17. jannej

jannej New Member

Has anyone tried to renew the trial period? Specifically on macOS. Tried already re-installing Java but that didn't do the trick.

I would purchase the license instantly if that were possible!

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's very strange that whoever bought the rights to Clickrepair just lets it sit there dormant when they could be making money off it without changing anything. Folks like you would be buying it and providing them with income they otherwise wouldn't have!

TarnishedEars and ghost rider like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe a competitor bought it…

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wonder how Brian Davies is doing? Or if he is not doing anymore?

I have CR installed on every computer I own.

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I thought of that but I Joel's posts earlier seem to indicate there may be plans to relaunch it at some point. I know he wrote that "if and when" they give him permission to talk about it, but I doubt they'd communicate at all if they weren't planning on doing something with it at some point. A competitor who buys out just to get it off the market other software rarely comments on it as it kind of makes them look bad.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

SEEM to indicate there MAY be plans to relaunch it AT SOME POINT? Not very definitive - and possibly misdirection given the reality of inaction.

How often does a competitor who buys out another competitor ever explicitly say they’re doing it to kill the product? Now...how often do they indicate they hope to “leverage” the purchased product to introduce new, improved products - and nothing happens? I’d actually say the latter happens much more frequently.

I have no idea whether a competitor bought it or not, but I was just providing a logical possibility to someone who didn’t see one. Occam’s razor.

23. harby

harby Forum Resident

A nice example of the proprietor not letting their software die with them or their retirement:

News:

Effective 7/4/2019, Spectrum Software is closed. Micro-Cap is now free.

Technical support will be available for at least 90 days via email at Support.

You can download the latest versions of Micro-Cap here: Download
    You can choose either the executable program or the entire installation CD for MC10, MC11, and MC12. If you have an earlier version, download and use MC12. These new versions do not require the security key, so they make Micro-Cap free to the entire engineering community.

Thank you for the honor and privilege of serving you for the last 39 years.

Spectrum Software

$4495 per seat, to free

quicksrt likes this.
  24. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Out of interest, are there any interesting alternatives to ClickRepair? I’ve been using it for years (and love it) but I’d be curious to try some alternatives. Depending on the price of course…

sound chaser likes this.
  25. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Izotope's RX application is probably the best solution in the space, but it's built for professionals and is priced accordingly.

arisinwind and Solace like this.