What's going on with Marantz?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My beloved Marantz CD 5004 is beginning to act up and presumably in the final stages of its 10 year run. Wanting to replace it with the newest model, I headed over to an official online Marantz retailer.

It looks like Marantz discontinued the 5000 series as there is ZERO internet presence.

So, I looked at the CD 6007. Out of stock. I checked back about a month later. The expected date was pushed back even further. Strange.

At some point, I'd like to invest in a nice integrated amp and the Marantz PM 8006 fits the bill. I checked availability online. THAT was out of stock too. BUT, it wasn't JUST the PM8006. Practically EVERY amplifier made by Marantz is out of stock. You literally CAN'T BUY THEIR PRODUCTS.

I've heard that Dennon is owned by the same people that own Marantz so I looked at their CD players. Both affordable models are out of stock and the ship date for one is "unknown."

Does anyone know what's happening over at Marantz? Sure, I can understand a product being backordered but practically their entire product line is unavailable. It's all very odd.

2. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I ran into the same issue when trying to buy a Marantz AVR back in December. The salesman told it would take 30 - 40 days to get one - Marantz was having Covid related supply chain issues. On the other hand I had no problem getting a Denon which is what I did.

3. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

Due to the devastating fire that AKM had last October at the only manufacturing facility that produced the AK4490 DAC, the CD6007 may no longer be available once Marantz depletes their on-hand stock of AK4490s! Apparently, AKM had some very precise equipment used to produce these DACs that were destroyed in the fire, and because these machines were unique as far as their level of precision (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken), they're unable to farm out production to another manufacturer. Thus, AKM may not be able to produce that line of DACs for some time to come, as it appears it may take much longer than the 6 months they originally estimated in order to bring the production line back up. As a result, we may be waiting for some time before the CD6007 becomes available again, if at all!

That being said, they seem to be showing up sporadically from time to time, so you never know when one will turn up!

luckybaer and jusbe like this.
  4. dennis1077

Wow, that's incredibly bad news. I guess it's time to start exploring alternatives to Marantz. It's all very disheartening. I can't begin to explain how much I love the CD 5004.

bhazen likes this.
  5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

6. dennis1077

7. dennis1077

8. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

There are also worldwide chip shortages.

jusbe likes this.
  9. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

As soon as I had read about the fire back in November, I called my local dealer who said their first shipment of CD6007s would be arriving in a few weeks, so he put one aside for me. The shipment arrived just before Christmas and, lo and behold, he only got one! I snagged it, and he hasn't gotten any more in since then.

They now appear to be popping up for sale sporadically. I was checking out Amazon last week and there appeared to be a few avaiable from a couple of sellers. And they hadn't inflated the price! So, keep looking, and be ready to pounce when you find one. Believe me, your patience will be rewarded! :righton:

10. dennis1077

11. Slippers-on

What’s funny bout that?

12. dennis1077

Maybe funny is the wrong word.

Let's say someone buys a brand new, factory sealed CD player from Amazon. A few months later, there is a mechanical issue. Marantz refuses to honor the warranty despite the consumer paying full price and ordering from a legitimate retailer. It seems wrong to me.

The Beave likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What makes you think the legitimate retailer that partnered with Amazon to sell you the Marantz wasn't an authorized dealer? I think basically the only issue is buying used or grey market.

Slimwhit33, Shawn, No Static and 2 others like this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Try ordering a race bike these days :biglaugh:!
    What's going on with Specialized ?
    What's going on with Shimano ?
    Covid rules the economy :D !

The Beave, jusbe, Clay B and 2 others like this.
  15. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Dumbbells are also very scarce and expensive still. Tragically too, as now is the time when people need to exercise at home and stay in shape.

jusbe, Clay B, Hershey and 1 other person like this.
  16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This should be true. I know all Rega turntables listed on Amazon are through 3rd party sellers. I think sellers like using Amazon because of the exposure and the availability to park their goods in Amazon's distribution centers to provide Prime delivery.

BKphoto and Rolltide like this.
  17. Hershey

Hershey I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane

my local hi-fi dealer told me that he was having a hard time getting any equipment due to shortages of chips etc... I read that the car industry is having major problems sourcing chips too.
    As far as bikes and weights are concerned most if not all are made in china and they shut down last year and are probably back logged like crazy... right when all the gyms
    closed so every body bought up all the weights, bikes etc.. just check out what rusty old plates dragged out of someones garage are going for on Craigslist... the kind you couldn't
    have given away a couple of years ago. My local bike shop is out of almost everything except $14000 downhill bikes.

jusbe and ClassicalCD like this.
  18. Slippers-on

Let’s say, hypothetically some of your praised possessions are obtained by a party and sold through means not approved by yourself after you warned, outside your approval, you won’t stand behind product. Would you then honor what you forbid? Marantz and any would have that right?

19. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

I had a similar problem finding a Cambridge CXA81 amp late last year. My local dealer had a long wait time, as did most of the major online retailers.

jusbe likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I worked in the semiconductor field for many years with the last 17 at one of the country's national labs.
    It takes a lot of repeated processes and a lot of time to fabricate a semiconductor. The equipment used, diffusion furnaces, reactive ion etchers, chem benches, lithography equipment and other good stuff, has to be maintained to rigid process tolerances. A lot measurements we do are measured in angstroms. I've been part of bringing up a new fab and even after the building is built and the necessary equipment is installed to facilitate the equipment used to make the chip extensive qualification tests have to done.
    I don't see how AKM can be back in a year even. I think that they'll probably outsource their production if possible while rebuilding. The fire was truly devastating and I was sorry to read about it.

21. Slippers-on

Amazon is aware of warranty issues of the product from the illegitiment supplier. So are other sellers as well. Therefore the seller can stand behind the product and offer a warranty if it desires.

22. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I currently am a manager in a GaAs wafer Fab and there is no way they will bring the line back in 6 months after a fire. It will take a year or more. Will take many months to just dial in the recipes on the new equipment.

luckybaer, The Beave and jusbe like this.
  23. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Audio Advisor states that the CD6007 will be available to purchase 3/28/21. Crutchfield will have them 4/30.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    jusbe, ClassicalCD and sharedon like this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Exactly. Just to qual the tools will take 6 months. That's why I'm guessing they outsource as fast as possible if they can find a fab that can even schedule that.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

We got a new back side wafer grinder middle of last year and it is still not running properly. This is a million dollar tool including installation. They are about to give up on it and buy another similar tool from a different manufacturer. Also we are required to have a back up fab by our main customers just for situations like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.