What's it called when there is a "ring of wear" on the LP?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 12" 45rpm, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed some heavily played LPs will have some strange ring of wear on the grooves. Basically I will see certain grooves have a different appearance all along the circumference of the LP? It looks like a "ring of wear".. It will only be a mm or so thick. I notice it is more common on outer tracks than inner ones. What is this called and what causes it?

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If you can post some photos, it'll be quite helpful.

Going by your description, it sounds like groove wear/damage.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. 12" 45rpm

I am fairly sure it's not dynamic range . The ring appears visually different than just dynamic range. I will try and upload some pictures later today.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Yeah a picture would help. A mm is what 2 maybe 3 grooves wide. I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Is it on the surface, or does the "wear" appear to be from within the groove?

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've seen this on old LPs a few times.

Somebody tried playing the record with a nail or on an ancient mono record player with an arm that tracks in lbs. instead of grams.

patient_ot, vinnn, tin ears and 2 others like this.
  7. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

I think I know what you are referring to. It's not that uncommon to find LPs at garage sales where the last song on each side of an LP looks like it has been played a lot more than the rest of the record.

My guess is it was played on a cheap TT and or the cartridge was not aligned properly, therein tracking got worse near the last song. Maybe it also could have been caused if the anti-skate was way off one way or the other.

Or maybe it could be a song/s that appear to have excessive wear were played more than the rest of the songs on the LP. Back in the 1970s some LPs might only have 1 or 2 goods songs. The rest was just filler.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

That's due to the velocity trip mechanism used by older/cheaper record changers and automatic turntables. As the tonearm gets towards the end of a side, it starts pushing on a trip lever that will engage the automatic mechanism when it detects a sudden increase in velocity of the tonearm moving towards the middle when it reaches the runout groove.

As long as the mechanism is properly lubricated and working smoothly it usually isn't so bad, but as the mechanism gets old and the grease dries out, it takes more effort to engage the trip lever, causing the stylus to be pushed to the edge of the groove as it plays, thus increasing groove wear towards the end of the side. Eventually it'll get bad enough that the tonearm will start skipping because it is unable to push the trip lever, and some people might resort to adding more weight to the tonearm to force it to work, thus increasing the groove wear even more.

patient_ot, Angry Possum and tin ears like this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I think you got that decade wrong :crazy::biglaugh:!

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Usually called "ring wear", no "of".

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That would be for the jacket, not the LP itself.

SCM, jusbe and bever70 like this.
  12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

True, but I've never heard it used to describe a worn LP. Maybe that's a regional thing?

13. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Ring wear is on the jacket. Groove wear is in the vinyl.

Aftermath, qwerty, SCM and 4 others like this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yep, that's how I have always heard it used.

15. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

If the wear is at the beginning of a track, it could be cue burn. That is the result of a DJ back cueing the song several times (or just a few times with a worn or misaligned conical stylus or with an elliptical ). Also, a musician may play a section over and over again while trying to learn a riff (or is it a lick?)

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Is it also possible a more difficult passage could have been damaged by mistracking more than less difficult parts of the side, so the wear shows worse for that section?

I’m not sure there is a particular name other than just groove wear, assuming this is groove wear.

17. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

When you say that you "see" and "appearance" do you mean it is purely a visual phenomenon or can you actually hear something amiss when that part of the record is playing? If the needle plowed an obvious ring of damage, I would expect that something would be audible.

18. 12" 45rpm

Here are some pictures. It's as if the stylus dragged some debris that smudged the record. I see this often on heavily played LPs. Perhaps more probability of this happening the more times a record is played..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    quicksilver time in a bottle

19. muskrat

muskrat Well-Known Member

Needle burn from DJ sampling. I find used lps like that fairly often. More often every day. DJs record what they want and return or sell the l.p. to a record store. That's my theory anyway.

20. harby

harby Forum Resident

I think you might be looking at the rubber mat edge wearing on the record when the disc hangs off the edge of a smaller platter. Add to that a changer, and a non-rotating spindle dragging on the record, and dropping the record (or more from a stack) or picking up the record on a spinning platter.

[​IMG]

Aftermath and Ham Sandwich like this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Looks like that very thing to me. Usually the worst offenders are those BSR cheapie changers with plastic mats on the platters. A sure sign of it. When I see those, it gives me an idea of the life that record led.

Strat-Mangler and nosliw like this.
  22. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

It means it’s time to buy another copy of the record. Or, switch to the CD format.

12" 45rpm likes this.
  23. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

:tsk:....and clean your records! That one is filthy!

Big Blue likes this.
  24. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

VG+++++++++++

stetsonic likes this.
  25. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

My issue isn't RING WEAR.....but RING EMBOSSING. You know where the shape of your record presses through the jacket and the jacket conforms to it, not causing ring wear but an embossing on the jacket. Does anyone else get stressed over this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.