What's more important? Lyrics or music? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blastproof, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't even know half the lyrics I hum. But I know the song!

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm not sure that's a good test. You might also be incapable of remembering or singing along with every instrumental note played on the record too, but I'm not sure that would be evidence that the music wasn't something that mattered to you.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Sometimes people want to dwell in a 2 dimensional world... I guess by simplifying their choices, it makes everything earlier...?

I prefer all aspects, in varying degrees.

4. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Music over lyrics. Songs can be good with one over the other, but when they have both it's magical. :pineapple:

5. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

I love 'Powderfinger' but I don't think the lyrics are necessary to my enjoyment. I should say those particular lyrics. It wouldn't be as good as an instrumental. If the lyrics were different, but Neil's singing was the same and he was hitting the same vocal notes, I think I would like it just as much. This isn't to say I don't enjoy the story these particular lyrics tell. I just think the music/singing would elevate any lyrical choices. It's kind of like when Dylan will substitute a completely different verse in a song without radically changing the song (or my enjoyment of it).

Rick Robson likes this.
  6. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

It's a really interesting question, especially in a forum like this. Although the voting is running 95% pro-music, why is the music posted around here 95% vocal? And, in a cohort of, largely, intelligent adults, what's the lifelong attraction of what they used to call Teen Beat Vocal? We take very seriously, and invest considerable energy in, other putatively intelligent adults singing about concerns that could only be of vital importance to, to generalize, dopey adolescents. Is it arrested emotional or intellectual development? Does music appeal mostly on some primal unevolved level? Or is it about escapism from adult concerns? Or nostalgia? Does our subconscious desire simple signposting?

Not citing examples, because that would feed an equally childish "your favorite band sucks" dynamic - and some of my own faves are pretty immature. Just...curious.

7. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member Thread Starter

I believe that my example demonstrates that I still like the song 40 years later, but don't care enough to know the words all the way through. I am quite capable of hearing nuances and changes in some songs.... A finger slip on the string, or that extra hit on the cymbal at 1:47 in "Mob Rules." I'm not being twitchy, just explaining my point.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Rick Robson likes this.
  8. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Cream (w. Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker) had their motto:
    “Forget the lyrics, forget the message, and just play.”

It’s the music that is truly important

9. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Music

What good are great lyrics if all you have is crappy music to accompany them?

10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Initially the music but if the lyrics are weak then the song will die over time for me.

11. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I can't say what's more important, but I personally find myself paying more attention to everything but lyrics, but not all the time though. Nowadays especially, I can hardly understand most lyrics in modern pop songs, and while I'm gradually losing my hearing due to aging, I'm convinced it's more due to the fact that vocalists nowadays don't project their voices well, nor do they pronounce words clearly. Also, at least with modern pop music, lyrics are becoming increasingly idiotic and/or salacious. So then, I'm voting 'Music', but it's totally a personal thing.

Blastproof likes this.
  12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

It depends on context.

On albums where the music is the prominent feature, then the music is more important.
    On albums where the lyrics are the prominent feature, then the lyrics are more important.
    On albums where the vocals are slurred or otherwise not ascertainable without a lyrics sheet, then the music is, by default, more important.

IMO.

In other words it seems crazy to ascribe great importance to lyrics in progressive rock songs that are mostly instrumental, and it seems wrong to downplay the role of lyrics that are upfront and clearly heard in the mix of relatively simple songs.

Blastproof likes this.
  13. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

My wife and I had this discussion about Zeppelin. She doesn't like them because she doesn't like the lyrics. I on the other hand don't care because I don't listen to (or understand) Zeppelin lyrics. It's ALL about the music for me.

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Maybe that explains why I never cared for anything by Cream -- were they intentionally making music that had nothing to say? On the flip side, Lester Young and Sonny Rollins played instrumental music, but when they played songs that had been written with lyrics they always considered the lyrics, it's something also JD Allen made a point of talking about when he recorded his great standards ballad instrumental album, Love Stone, last year.

15. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Music

For reference however, 4 out of 10 in my all time best albums don't have any lyrics.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Interesting question.

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  17. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I'd ask the other way round: Although the music posted around here is 95% vocal, why the voting is running 95% pro-music?

One thing is true though, at least to me it's much easier to hum an entire song than to memorize say more than a couple of sentences. Well, I'm not a musician, but it's probably what I would have most loved to be. On the other hand, poetry (or poem) books never added up to my hobbies.

18. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I think that conditioning plays a big role in how people hear and enjoy music. I grew up listening to AM (MW) radio broadcasts on pocket portables, which rendered audio in very lo-fi and hardly did justice to vocals. Also, Muzak was everywhere. I enjoyed it then, and I enjoy it now. So with all that, I'm conditioned to focus on instrumentation, arrangements, and melodies.

When I got my first decent stereo and compact disc player in the '80s, I was surprised to hear old favorites sounding so very clear revealing lyrics I could actually understand. More often than not though, I still found lyrics to be distracting unless uplifting and joyful. Ah! Now that I think about this further, it's downer lyrics that I don't like and feel distract from my enjoyment of many songs. For instance, Gilbert O'Sullivan's 'Alone Again Naturally' has what I consider a very pleasant melody, but its lyrics are dreadful in my opinion.

As an aside, recently I added something special to my music collection in the way of a series of compilations documenting every instrumental pop recording to chart on the BillBoard HOT-100 from 1959 through 1979. The set was obviously assembled with love and dedication, and its audio fidelity doesn't disappoint!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

There are some artists where the lyrics are a HUGE component of the songs.

Dylan
    Simon & Garfunkel/Paul Simon
    The Who/Pete Townshend
    The Kinks/Ray Davies
    10 CC
    XTC

Just for quick examples of artists whose lyrics have always ben a huge part of it for me.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  20. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Music, off course....
    But don't forget Bob Dylan...

21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

That could be, and for me, I started taking drum lessons right after I turned 6, and then by the time I was 8, I was taking piano lessons, too. So from about the time that I have regular rather than just sporadic memories, I was very focused on what the instruments were doing, not what the vocals were doing, and I was focused on it from a music-theoretical perspective, where I was learning that along with everything else from kindergarten age.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  22. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Here's one way of assessing it - would you listen to so-and-so if they were singing in a language you didn't understand? Led Zeppelin - sure, why not? Frank Zappa - hey, it's better that way! Bob Dylan - nope.

Joy-of-radio and Rick Robson like this.
  23. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Music. Great lyrics can exist without music as poetry.

24. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Vocals are most important for me
    If I like the voice I keep listening and often if I’m not sure I keep listening and over time pick up on it
    Words are crucial
    I grew up in a very conservative family
    Sex drugs rock and roll bad
    Surfings bad Levi’s bad bare feet bad no job bad on and on
    And then
    for the ones that have a feeling
    Deep down inside
    That it ain’t no sin to be glad to be alive
    Or Dylan
    If these thought dreams could be seen
    They’d probably put my head in a guilotine
    Or my teenage self
    Pretty flamingo
    When she walks by
    She brightens up the neighbourhood
    What male hasn’t seen a flamingo walking down the street
    Or this from The Flying Burritos
    And on the 41st floor not even a gold plated door
    Will keep out the Lords burning rain
    both my obsessions religion and politics on a sentence
    Song lyrics resonate decades after I hear them and create millions of thoughts
    A few months after Blood On The Tracks
    I understood every word and nuance on that record
    Like a corkscrew to my heart
    Or
    I’ve never gotten used to it
    I’ve just learned to turn it off
    I could go on indefinitely but having said all that none of these words would have figured in my consciousness if they weren’t set to music and sung by people who could channel their feelings into a song and make them real
    So I guess for me I can’t really make the separation of words and music
    Bit like wearing shoes without socks

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Music is more important for things that are M U S I C in the first place (songs, albums, concertos, etc).

Lyrics are more important for BOOKS. Duh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.