What's pre-emphasis??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robby

robby Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello....I want to know what's pre-emphasis??? What does it do to music?

deredordica likes this.
  2. Russ

Russ Outlaw

[font=arial, Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][font=arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    A deliberate change in the frequency response of a recording system for the purpose of improvement in signal-to-noise ratio, or the reduction of distortion.
    On a CD a "flag" embedded in the disc directs the player how to perform the operation. generally speaking.

[/font]

3. robby

robby Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok.Thanks for the response. But there's some stuff I don't understand about it. Does it alters the eq??? How can a machine change that over a not pre-emphasized cd?? What's the general consensus about it?

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Yeah, and will my CD player (Sony SACD ce775) catch it? Is it still used?

5. tomken22

tomken22 Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I have a Sony CA 70ES and it de-emphasized the JPN 1983 Abbery Road CD just fine. There is no pre-emphasis light or indicator.

My question is:

Is there software, besides EAC, that will easily copy a cd with pre-emphasis and make a cdr including the flag?

Whoever thought that pre-emphasis would come back to haunt us after 20 years?

Tom Kennedy

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As I understand it, the Redbook CD standard calls for decoding of pre-emphasis flags. So any player bearing the CD format logo should handle pre-emphasis discs properly.

An alternative to EAC for copying pre-emphasis discs properly is a component burner. A component burner is an extension of a CD player, so since CD players handle pre-emphasis properly, component burners do too. I sometimes use my Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray burner to copy pre-emphasis discs.

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

And here I thought "pre-emphasis" was another term for foreplay...

8. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Here's a bit of background I found written by Roger Nichols on this page:
    I found it interesting that different players might handle it differently and that each one could apply a different de-emphasis curve. I guess that's why I've never found a common eq setting to manually apply de-emphasis in a wave editor. All the suggestions I've found are close, but each one was slightly different.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  9. Padus "Discjuggler" does it, providing the drive you are copying it from reports it correctly.

http://www.padus.com

I've been using it for years - it's main purpose is for doing multiple copies in a PC/Duplication tower, but I've discovered it deals with pre-emphasis without you having to tell it to do anything.

10. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Thats how I understand it also.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

On this forum, I have learned that digital noise reduction and compression are the principal sources of irritating high frequency distortion that is present on some modern CDs. Is pre-emphasis (and the electronic corrections made to play a pre-emphasized disc) possible sources of high frequency distortion on pre-emphasized CDs?

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Some units do the de-emphasis digitally, rather than using analog circuits. Some early CD players, like an annoying Marantz model I had, did not decode the emphasis at all and instead would sometimes cut out the sound altogether due to a high freq. overload. I took that piece of junk back to the store. The store refused it, but I left it there and my credit card company did a charge back on it.

13. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I still can´t understand what pre-emphasis is...but a perfect example would be to listen Abbey Rd Black Triangle. :p

14. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

here ya go

i made these using my abbey road black triangle disc which has pre-emphasis:

i first made a cdr copy and used EAC to get the pre-emphasis to kick in. to hear the disk properly i then i had to uncheck the option of "enable digital CD audio..." under the cd-rom properties (i listen mostly through my computer to my music).

this first example is when playing the disc with the analog cable to the soundcard and "enable digital cd audio.." option unchecked. pre-emphasis is being correctly handled.

http://wseal.home.gate.net/analog.wav

this next example is when "enable digital cd audio.." option is checked and what a disk with pre-emphasis would sound like when not being emphasied (i hope i worded that correctly, still learning). a lot more tinny sound and hiss.

http://wseal.home.gate.net/digital.wav

hope that helps someone.

love this disc by the way! :righton:

15. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Thanks for your work!
    It´s like to different songs, with so much difference?

16. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Close...

That's what it sounds like when it's not being de-emphasized (having the originally applied emphasis reduced on playback).

Does that help? :)

17. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

ah! gotcha.

thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.