What's the Best John Hughes Teen/High School Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

James Spader owned the "smarmy unlikeable teenager" roles in the '80s.

SKoW is - to me - the better of the two, but not by much. Although I doubt I could sit through either it or PiP again.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Only seen Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller find Bueller much more enjoyable.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Also, he wasn't actually behaving like a teenager.

Expensive meal at fancy restaurant? Visiting art gallery? Pulaski Day parade? Cubs game? Viewing gallery at the Chicago Board of Trade?

The only part of Ferris Bueller's Day Off that would have actually have appealed to a teenager was racing a hot car around and hanging out at the pool with the hot girl.

Any genuine teenager would have slapped the smug right off of his face for having wasted his day.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    MikaelaArsenault and spanky1 like this.
  4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I voted for The Breakfast Club with Weird Science in 2nd place. Never got the appeal towards Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

God, do I hate Duckie! He's one of the all-time most annoying movie characters.

He's supposed to be the lovable quirky guy we all want to see come out on top, but I wanted to see him 6 feet under!

Utterly charmless performance from Cryer and an intensely annoying character!

Karnak and paulewalnutz like this.
  6. Oatsdad

I don't want to say I hated "FBDO" all the way back in 1986, but I don't recall ever particularly liking it, mainly because Ferris is such a d-bag,

He's completely selfish and harasses his friends to get what he wants constantly.

We're supposed to love him because it all works out in the end, like this was Ferris's plan. No - he acted like a dick and it just happened not to bite him in the butt.

Ferris is a smug, arrogant jerk - the perfect 80s character! :D

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Breakfast Club hands down.
    None of the others come close for me.

Darryl

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Thanks for posting this. Near the end of this video is a nice 6-7 minute or so tribute to John Hughes featuring many of his film stars re-enacting some of their noteworthy lines from each film. I enjoyed the entire presentation.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You're welcome.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

My ranking of these movies:

1) Some Kind of Wonderful. Derivative and with a few flaws, but mostly engaging and charming.
    2) Breakfast Club. Tries too hard to make a "statement" but the cast shows chemistry and it's watchable.
    3) Ferris. Hate the lead but it still has some funny moments. Always hoped Jennifer Grey's character would kick Ferris in the schnutz.
    4) Pretty in Pink. Pretty terrible.
    5) Weird Science. Even more terrible.

Haven't seen "Candles" recently enough to offer a firm opinion. It'd probably be #4, though...

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

12. AirJordanFan93

That seems fairly normal for teens to do if they are skipping school or is that just me I mean its more in line with what teens would do that going to an art gallery.

Guss2 likes this.
  13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

No love for Weird Science :wtf:

14. 905

905 Senior Member

Breakfast Club
    Ferris in second.

15. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Tia and Bug, lol

16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Weird Science.

17. Mia Sara. Still hot.

milankey, Dubmart and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

That was somewhat closer but still... those are the fantasies of a middle-aged man, not a teenager.

Karnak likes this.
  19. AirJordanFan93

True, The art gallery, fancy restaurant and going to the Chicago Trade Board seem out of character for a 17 year old to drag his best friend and girlfriend to. I don't know perhaps he did way more teenage centric things on his other days off that year doesn't he say this will be his 9th day off at the start of the movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

I'd have to work pretty far down the list to want to watch commodities traders, but maybe that's just me.

Karnak likes this.
  21. AirJordanFan93

Maybe he aspires to be an '80s yuppie I get the impression he comes from a fairly wealthy family.

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Ferris here.

23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I only saw 2 of the Movies on the Listed Poll:

Breakfast Club & Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I really like the Breakfast Club so that Movie got my Vote in this Poll, but thought FBDO was just ok, and never watched it a 2nd time. Maybe, some day will check out the other Movies in this Poll, but most of them do not seem to get good reviews here yet from what I have seen posted by others.

Side Story-The Same Day that I heard that the Breakfast Club, Director-John Hughes had died, I was giving a Tennis Lesson to a High School Girl, who was playing on her High School Team, and I gave her some Tennis Lessons during the Off-Season. She had seen The Breakfast Club, which she loved, and I had no idea that Movie was popular with Teens at the time(was this about 10 years ago when Hughes Died?).

Anyways, I had joked that his Tombstone should read-'Don't You Forget About Me'. She gave me a glare, and I just said, "What? Too Soon?" I had actually told her in the Past that 'Comedy=Tragedy + Time', but I was never good about the 'Time' part of that equation, as my Dark Humor never takes a day off(No Pun Intended like 'The Seldom Seen Kid's Day Off').

GLENN likes this.
  24. AirJordanFan93

Yeah, he died in 2010.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks, I knew it was before 2013, as that was when I had Herniated Disc Surgery that damaged my L-4 & L-5 Nerves, so 3 More Low Back Surgeries since that year to try and relieve the pain in my Right Thigh, and was not doing any Tennis, or Golf(or other Sports), since 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.