What's The Best Nutcracker Suite CD Version Available ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ksmitty, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member Thread Starter

I am looking to pick up "Nutcracker Suite" on CD and was curious what is the best sounding version available ? I was thinking of the Disney "Fantasia" Soundtrack but am looking for the top notch in sound quality so does anyone here have the Disney or is there something that is beter than that one ? Thanks For any input

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Not the Nutcracker Suite but the entire ballet is on an 81+ minute CD on Phillips 462 114-2. It features a scintillating performance by Valery Gergiev conducting the Kirov Orchestra. All the music Tchaikovsky wrote for the ballet is great and it's refreshing and neat to how hear the familiar pieces of the Suite fit in the the work as a whole.
    It is one of the best sounding of my classical CD's, and one of the best bargains in my entire collection as I picked it up brand new at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. The vendor works at a radio station so he, I'm sure, got it for nothing.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Do a search/This was covered in a big ol' thread!

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That it was....but if you're lazy, Smitty(like me)find a copy of the Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra version on CBS Masterworks. Nice sound, not sure if it was ever remastered, though...

ED :cool:

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

6. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I should have checked first. Just a little Lazy like Ed suggested I guess .

7. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I'll second that. I have the original 1984 CD issue, and it sounds wonderful. No need to remaster at all.

Another great one is the 1960s Nutcracker by von Karajan on Deutsche Grammophon. Highly recommended!

Arne

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Don't get me wrong - it has nothing to do with nationalism, but there is an old rule that every classical music collector knows: all classical russian music is performed best by russians. And Gergiev's versions are ALWAYS the ones to get.

9. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

...and Richard Strauss' lieder must always be sung by a German soprano. Elisabeth Schwarzkopf yes, Jessye Norman and Leontyne Price no. Ja, ja. Sorry, but I do believe there are always exceptions from that rule. Take Dvorak's New World Symphony. The George Szell reading is the best there is, and that's a Hungarian conductor leading an American orchestra playing music composed by a Czech.

Just my EUR 0,015.

Arne

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9226

The version Steve suggested (Anatal Dorati on Mercury Living Presence) and Michael Tilson Thomas with Philharmonia Orchestra version are the best I've heard (and I have almost 20 versions). The Dorati has a TON of audible edits but is an energetic and dynamic performance. I really like it a lot. The Tilson Thomas on CBS Masterworks is just as good but is really hard to find.

One version I bought is horrible (at least I hate it). It's the Philips CD of Antal Dorati again (but with the Concertgebouw Orchestra). The performance is really unbalanced and way too fast. Horrible mix on the CD too.

11. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Totally agree - spot on assessment - buy it!!!! :thumbsup: :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.