What's the best Paul McCartney album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not my favorite but Band On The Run is the answer.

I prefer Rushes.

ralph7109 likes this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Band On The Run was my vote, really enjoy listening to Flamie Pie, Chaos & Creation and Flowers in the Dirt some great times with family and friends around all three of those albums so those are spinning again lately!

ralph7109 likes this.
  3. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Band on the Run might be his most conplete.
    Ram, McCartney and Chaos are great too.

Most of the others suffer from filler along with great songs. So I just combine tracks from 2 albums released close to each other to make one really good album.

blutiga likes this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wow. I love those two songs. Definitely in the top half of songs on BOTR. And "Mamunia" might make my Macca Top 10 solo songs list.

905, Tord and ralph7109 like this.
  5. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

Run Devil Run

6. adad

adad Forum Resident

piece of cake-Ram

By the votes I feel I need to give "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" more time.
    I like Jason Falkner and only gave the album a listen when I heard he was on it.
    from this:
    INTERVIEW: JASON FALKNER

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. helter

helter Forum Resident

Wings Over America

ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It's on disc 2 of the deluxe remaster.

andrewskyDE and angelees like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No brainier thread.

A piano up my nose.

angelees likes this.
  11. alexpop

Band on the run ( second place )
    It's was McCartney's defining statement all through the seventies and deservedly received all the praise and accolades.

12. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Band On The Run (UK, i.e. no Helen Wheels). It was the first Beatles solo album I got. It just edges out Ram for me. And I love the front and back cover images too.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Cover looks more dated than Ram.
    But, agree on Helen Wheels. Something about the production on that 45rpm that seems harsh compared with the other BOTR tracks.

14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The first one gets my vote, with Ram and BOTR tied for second.
    To me, the fact that McCartney sounds homemade and half-finished is a big part of its charm. It's a rustic kind of album for when I'm in a rustic mood. I remember listening to it a lot in high school (early '90s) and - knowing the story behind it up to a point - getting a sense of "this is how you cope with a bad patch in your life as an adult". To me, it sounded like that's what Paul was doing even before I knew it really was just that. So it has a lot of sentimental value to me, and has also aged remarkably well since then.

John Porcellino and angelees like this.
  16. alexpop

Costing over a 100 bucks RAM (super deluxe 5 CDs/DVD) is a well packaged and a treat for McCartney fans. If only the Beatles product got this lavish treatment in the future. Guess SGt Pepper was a start. Also have DCC Ram gold cd, now that's ear candy, a sonic keeper.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Brilliant post, great advice. RAM is really so impressive once you drop preconceived notions.

Different strokes, indeed. Dear Boy gives me chills sometimes. That insistent piano. Those dark harmonies. Phew.

To me, Ram is as cohesive as the back half of Abbey Road. It is uninhibited and stylistically varied, though I see these as two of Paul’s greatest musical qualities. Ram is what I would call ‘quirky,’ but in the best way. It certainly does not appeal to everyone, which is why I believe it shares space on the mountaintop with it’s more commercialized (though still very strong) sibling. But if you were to ask me to pick one Album which I felt represented Paul best musically, artistically, and/or personally, I would choose Ram without hesitation. For me BOTR loses out because it lacks a personal grounding and focuses more on just having fun. Nothing wrong with that of course, but Ram gives you that and then some.

Back to the Egg has a lot of positive charm too! And London Town!

18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Agreed. Mono and Thrillington versions also. Beautiful faux photographic paper envelopes full of goodies.

I know, I know, I just have a fondness for it, to me seems 'frozen in time' in keeping with the concept. The back is all Ipcress File esque, dossiers and rubber stamps, which to me hold an archaic charm. Even if Macca's pullover doesn't!

MisterPleasant and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Ipcress File, never noticed that before.
    Funny with BOTR always reminds of eating Cadbury's chocolate. I have a feeling he had this idea for a reformed Beatles album cover.

I'm sure a few fans would have liked the Ram super deluxe in their xmas stocking ( well stretched). :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

These polls always generate some silly results - like Flowers being the first album without a single vote. And with the local obsession with Macca generates new polls rather frequently. (Yes, it is Ram or Band on the Run. The third one is where the fun begins.)

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  21. alexpop

MAF
    Are you have a laugh?

Deserves some poll action !!!

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Some truly fantastic albums on that list!

For me it's...
    Wings Over America
    Flaming Pie
    Memory Almost Full
    New
    Band On The Run
    Unplugged
    Run Devil Run
    Chaos
    I could name others, but these are some at the top.

23. alexpop

WOA CDs super deluxe I'm on the lookout for, tasty packaging I must admit.

24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Can't choose between McCartney or Ram. One of those.

25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Or, alternatively, Dear Boy is one of his greatest arrangements and something that Brian Wilson at his peak would have been proud of. The stuff going on in that song is immense, and anything but lame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.