What's the best Paul McCartney album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Band on the Run is brilliant but Ram feels a lot more personal to me and is his most "Beatley" imo.

maywitch likes this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Ram from those listed, but Wings Greatest Hits probably beats that, given Mull of Kintyre and Junior's Farm. And My Love is my favorite McCartney composition (just beating out For No One). A rock ballad disguised as a jazz standard.

Paul P. likes this.
  3. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I've spent the evening with a stack of Macca records, and it seems to me Pipes of Peace and Tug of War should be getting far more attention.

maywitch likes this.
  4. swampwader

swampwader Forum Resident

I picked RAM but Wings' Greatest is such a good sounding Lp (& Cd). That's how I listen to "Another Day" & "Junior's Farm" (other than 45's)

Paul P., schnitzerphilip and Archtop like this.
  5. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Impossible to choose one; he has made so many good albums. I landed on Flowers, but I could have voted for Ram, or Band on the Run, or Flaming Pie, or Chaos and Creation, or Tug of War, or New, or Memory almost Full.

6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I like the harmonies on Silly Love Songs but the Dear Boy ones seem forced.
    As for time passing and fresh ears, you act like Band On The Run is the 80s.
    It was late 73 and immediately praised critically and commercially.
    Plus Ringo thought RAM sucked and he certainty knew the inside story of the band.

7. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Band on the Run - no contest. Chaos & Creation and New pretty pretty good too.

8. Price.pittsburgh

But Jet is on BOTR and Another Day is Not on RAM and Another Day is kind of a drag anyway.
    My point is about the final product of RAM vs BOTR and had Jet not been on BOTR it would have been a very short tracklist.
    And even before RAM Abbey Road in 69 had both Come Together and Something on it and were the single.

9. Famous groupie

Famous groupie Well-Known Member

Band On The Run and Ram are both masterpieces and the tops of my all-time favourite albums in that order.

10. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah, hearing Linda off key harmonies and background vocals really makes me think of The Beatles.

mrjinks likes this.
  11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Fair to say out of BOTR and Ram.

12. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Band on the Run is my vote. So many great memories of hearing the title track on the car radio as a 9 year old. However, Flaming Pie may truly be my favorite....

13. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Ram, no contest, followed by McCartney, then Band on the Run.

maywitch and angelees like this.
  14. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

'Ram' for me. Probably more for personal reasons than anything. Closely followed by 'Band on the Run'...

maywitch likes this.
  15. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Looking at the results one easily gets the impression that this forum considers Chaos and Creation McCartney's best album since Band on the Run (only Flaming Pie and Tug of War being serious competitors).

And nothing seems to compare with Ram and Band on the Run by far. We need "McCartney best solo album except Ram and BotR" poll next week. ;) (By the way, has anybody seen the tread starter lately?)

blutiga likes this.
  16. groff

groff Forum Resident

Flaming Pie is not just my favorite McCartney album. It's my favorite album by anybody, including The Beatles. And I'm a HUGE Beatles fan.
    He should have left Really Love You off and I'm not a big fan of the song Flaming Pie, but the album just has so many absolutely gorgeous songs.
    I feel sure the voting in a poll like this is skewed by the fact that some of the albums are just not as well known as others. To anyone who likes McCartney's music but hasn't heard Flaming Pie, do yourself a favor and give it a listen. I'd be very surprised if you didn't love it.

maywitch likes this.
  17. groff

groff Forum Resident

And Dear Boy lame???? To someone with ears???? It's incredible musically and the lyrics are sincere, touching, and passionate. I regularly seek out this one song to listen to over and over. There is so much going on! One of my favorite songs.

MisterPleasant and maywitch like this.
  18. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I went Ram, because it's fantastic, but he has so many strong contenders - McCartney, Band on the Run, Tug of War, Flaming Pie...

For latter day Paul, I still think Run Devil Run is his best.

19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I only own a couple, and most played is the McCartney 2 bonus disc. Band on the Run is probably the 'best'.

angelees likes this.
  20. 905

905 Senior Member

I happily contributed to some Driving Rain appreciation threads here. It's in my top five.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Chaos in 4th place ( or is that third ?)

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm surprised Venus and Mars isn't scoring higher. That might be my #1. I'd also rank Speed of Sound and Back to the Egg very high.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Best but not necessarily favorite is Band on the Run. Favorite changes, but best hasn’t. Yet.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Top ten

Ram ..Paul's Revolver
    Band on the run ..Beatles esq
    Chaos ....adult pop Oscar
    McCartney ...Maybe I'm Amazed
    MAF....21stC Pop Album
    Venus ....Production excelsior
    London Town ...Paul's Village Green
    RRS....Side 2 quasi Abbey Road
    Wild Life ....underrated
    Driving Rain....underrated pt2

maywitch likes this.
  25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Not surprised about the dead heat between Band on the Run and Ram but a little surprised that McCartney didn’t have a few more votes.

My vote went to Band on the Run btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.