What's the best Paul McCartney album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

i remember ram as being.......the one..where....when you listened to it....you felt like......"yeah......**** yeah.." (but only after the 3rd playing....why is that?....for me..it was..and still is.....the 3rd playing determines and rings true what it is about...))).....this is mccartney......and you didn't have to apoligize to your friends.......about the album........and it folded out........and every song was great as you liked it......was it his best??...heck...how would i know...was it my favorite?...heck....it is in the top 7...maybe the top 6.......

angelees likes this.
  2. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

another day was not on ram......!!!...come on.......!!!!!......be real

mrjinks likes this.
  3. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah..like i said..it's not on ram....do you remember may or june or april of '71?...not on ram.....totally different viewpoint you might have....but....as far as real albums....???.....yu are somewhere else..

4. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

BTTE sounded so crisp and and definite sounding.....as opposed to london town....that will always be in my brain for that-ness........plus...a lotta songs/material............would that be his longest album..in time minutes......in the vinyl world?.....i think so....

5. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

wrong...sorry..AD is not a Ram track...if we are to discuss albums...the way they were...then we should discuss albums...the way they were..not after fact..another day was a single..and did not belong on ram..and that is why it didn't be on ram..

6. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

you listen to another day before ram..on the single 45....plus the b-side.......very simple...it is not on ram......there are no "libraries"..and computerized brain-washing "now it's this" thinking.....albums were albums..and the thread is about albums..not algorithims........

mrjinks and Regandron like this.
  7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah..me too feels that...i like both of those......what a double album that would have been.....

8. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

sorry. but the thread is best/favorite album....!!not headphone algorithms or i tune crap..........album......album album..( i like typing that word)..the platter you put on your turntable when you brought it home.....and the album cover you looked at while the music played..while you sat on your bed or couch..or something...in your bedroom....THAT is the album i think the poster is asking about...

9. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Ram number one and band on the run close second

RockRoom likes this.
  10. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Can someone please teach rod sphere how to use the multiquote feature? I would but I'm exhausted from reading through all those posts...

905, OobuJoobu and ohnothimagen like this.
  11. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

I've always really appreciated the song structure on RAM. It would have been interesting to see if the album got good reviews at the the time, if mccartney would have pursued a more experimental approach to making music.
    Also John and George used to tease Paul for songwriting in third person like Eleanor rigby. Well john wasn't laughing after RAM. Long Hair lady cuts like a knife. I'm sure it was inspired by johns weekend away with Epstein.
    I think band on the run is more commercial and RAM was for himself.

angelees likes this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Ram is Paul's "This is how great I am" album on a purely musical level. Band On The Run is Paul's f--k you album to Henry McCullough and Denny Seiwell: "I'll make an album so good you'll wish you'd've played on it!" as Macca himself put it.

angelees likes this.
  13. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

The best? Probably "Band On The Run".

My personal favorite? "McCartney".

14. seacliffe301

This looks like one of those situations where both can be considered right. Granted, these songs were not released on the final album tracklist, but they were definitely conceived and recorded with the intent to be part of the album. EMI wanted/demanded a single NOW, and George Martin complied with what he thought were the best choices at the time. It was a long standing policy of The Beatles, George Martin, Brian Epstein not to include singles on albums in the name of value for the record buyer. It was by default that these songs were now being kept off the Sgt. Pepper album.
    As a side note to this, George Martin has repeatedly admitted that his biggest mistake ever was to put these 2 songs out together as a double A-side release. Each song kept the other from achieving number 1 (at least in England).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    schnitzerphilip likes this.
  15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I could go by decade.

Best from the 70's? Band on the Run.
    Best from the 80's? Tug of War.
    Best from the 90's? Flaming Pie.
    Best from the Naughties? Memory Almost Full.

Horse Brunsby likes this.
  16. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Oy. No. Again if it wasn’t put on the album it does not count when you consider albums which were released. The thread wasn’t named “What’s the best Paul McCartney sessions?”

Tord, mrjinks and Darrin L. like this.
  17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

That's wrong. It was not by default that they were kept off Pepper. The original concept was an album reflecting on their childhood, but it changed to the Pepper concept, and SFF and PL no longer fit the concept.
    And "The Beatles, George Martin, Brian Epstein not to include singles on albums in the name of value for the record buyer" is simply not true. There are at least a dozen angles that contradict that assertion.

Isamet likes this.
  18. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I picked Band on the Run, but Venus and Mars and Ram are excellent too.

19. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

This. :righton:

20. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

Not really sure what you are trying to say? Band on the Run is still well respected it's not like it's not, but Ram was largely ignored after it's pummeling by the critics and the bandwagon jumpers who came after which means, finally a couple decades later people listened to who hadn't paid much attention to it(or who weren't born yet) and came to their own conclusions which greatly differed from those who would have criticised McCartney for helping a little old lady across the street, never mind the music. So Band on the Run's standing wouldn't change much whereas Ram's would.

I don't really care what Ringo thought, the whole bunch of them were very against Paul at the time. Ringo may have been the most laid back but it doesn't change the facts that he was. It came out not long after Paul had to take them to court which put The Beatles in receivership(making it harder for Allen Klein to cheat them and making sure he had nothing to do with McCartney's business) and the eventual dissolution of the partnership.

And what does him "knowing the inside story of the band" have to do with the quality of the album or the songs on it? Absolutely nothing, if anything it would have biased Ringo against them. And he sure as heck wasn't anywhere around when the songs were being written and recorded so it means nothing specifically with regards to Ram.

sbeaupre, Umbari, angelees and 2 others like this.
  21. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

In terms of the studio albums listed, probably "Band On The Run" or "Venus And Mars". I can never decide. :)

However, my personal favorite, live or studio, has always been "Wings Over America". Six sides of wonderful gems. In fact the hit version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" is my all-time favorite song by Paul.

Steve Litos likes this.
  22. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Silly poll if you have to name one!!
    It's Macca for ****'s sake!!

maywitch likes this.
  23. seacliffe301

Angles such as?
    Between "Please Please Me" & "The White Album", it was the policy not to include singles on albums. This premise has been cited over & over.
    As for concept, what concept is that? The loose concept McCartney mentioned that the Beatles not be The Beatles for this album? Even Lennon has mentioned that that was BS.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

People have been saying RAM is similar to The White Album.
    Ringo hated RAM but his favorite Beatles album is The White Album.
    All Ringo said was that Paul had gotten weird with RAM and he felt sorry for him. He was being nice kid of lol.
    The member I responded to was saying RAM is being heard by fresh ears.
    My point us that the same ears that Hated RAM loved BOTR during the same era.
    So it had nothing to do with hating Paul.
    Its not like they loved BOTR because they were past the anti Paul phase.
    Every Paul album prior to BOTR got slammed for being half baked.
    So they still were down on him when BOTR was released.
    Its not a half baked album so guess what? They loved it and rightfully so.

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah... auto-correct gave me angles, instead of singles, but you already knew that.
    Hmmm...let's see...these are the British Parlophone singles...released from albums...

Please Please Me/Ask Me Why
    Can't Buy Me Love/You can't Do That
    A Hard Day's Night/Things We said Today
    Ticket To Ride/Yes It Is
    Help/I'm Down
    Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby

Please...explain the policy not to include singles on albums.
    The premise has been cited over and over, but it is inherently false.
    And regarding the other point, you lose the argument, so you attempt to switch the focal point of the argument, trying to argue the validity of the "concept", making an argument with yourself...I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.