What's the best sounding "Boston"???????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

SACD is best version IMO. Also like the heavy vinyl MOFI that I have.

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'm waiting for UMG to buy out Sony/BMG so we can get "Don't Look Back" on SACD.

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Wow, that sure brings back memories! Wanna sell/trade for one of those beauts? :)

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Does the West German pressing of "Third Stage" on CD sound any different than the standard MCA US version?

PAT

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I wonder how the US 1/2 speed master compares......

6. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

I had the "so-called" 1/2 speed master....Thin! The mofi is fater but to me a bit too boomy and forced. Funny the one I won't let go of is my original promo copy....
    really hard hitting/direct.

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

That white-label promo is killer diller. :righton:

Grootna and Johnny Wong like this.
  8. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Hi Pat,
    yes, it sounds different as far as I remember (got rid of it a few years ago). It has too much midrange (tin sounding,the German word is "blechern") and there is a quite long gap between My Destination and A New World. The US MCA is far superior.

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Any other thoughts on this West German "Third Stage"??? Saw it recently thinking it must be good (since it is an early pressing)...but I didn't grab it... Should I pass? All I have currently on CD is the MFSL version...but I like the record...should I get the standard US silver disc or this west german one, or just stick with what I have?

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I did just pick up "Don't Look Back" today, catalog EK 35050, with DI8P 05007 underneath...is this the best there is of this record on CD???

11. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Of course. :)

Unless there is a bit of sarcasm intended here, I don't think ANYONE knew that the modern tape formulae would begin breaking down within the decade.

From all I have read about Tom, he is such a perfectionist that he takes as much of his sweet time as he wishes to work on a project. Thus his legal battle with CBS when they demanded Boston release another album, and Tom's subsequent departure for MCA.

-Aaron

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I noticed the same thing! Great Boston accent!! :righton: :D

13. Charger

Charger Forum Resident

Another vote for the SACD of the S/T. It's a good one and readily available. :thumbsup: I see copies in the local stores all the time.

Mike

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Great if you like your Boston "bright and jarring". Avoid. I bought one in the very early 90's used for $8 and only kept it for 2-3 years.

Just look among the orange label Epics and watch the runoff for "wally" OR "wy" on BOTH sides of the vinyl. There's plenty of them out there...

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Is it "DI8P 50007" or "DI8P 050007"? If there is a zero in front (050007), then you have a U.S. pressing. If there is no zero in front (50007) and "35 8P-7" is in the matrix code, then you have the original Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. The Japanese CBS/Sony pressing is the best version of Don't Look Back I've heard.

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Mine is 050007....but I assume this is still better thean the Gold Mastersound disc, right???

17. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Back in the '80s when I was first getting into CDs, I thought this was one of the best sounding ones. Great songs and great sound. Surprised this hasn't gotten a standard aluminum remaster by now...

altaeria likes this.
  18. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Anyone know if they ever considered doing a surround sound SACD of Boston's debut? There's so much going on in those songs, they could do an incredible surround mix if the multi's still exist.

I was disappointed to see that the SACD was only stereo.

Tim

19. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Thanks Scott, that's what I thought. However, Tom Port of DCC blowout reviewed the same CBS 1/2 speed on his website and he calls it: the best sounding of this music.... :help:
    http://www.dccblowout.com/product.asp?pf_id=56090&dept_id=

Yes, I've been buying them for a while now(got couple of WLP), they are indeed cheap and plentyful. And yes, orange label does sound better than the later blue label.

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes, in my opinion. I find both Boston MasterSound gold CDs to be bright.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi all,

For the debut album, I love the SACD or orange label Epic LP mastered by Wally! I love my made in Japan "Don't Look Back" for the USA. My copy of this is made by JVC in Japan! For "Third Stage" I love the MCA vinyl. All the Boston any reasonable fan wants!

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'll go with the SACD, although the Mo-Fi LP ain't bad.

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I found an 50007 today at my local used shop :righton: :righton:

24. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Tom's a great guy, but I dare you to find one and come up thinking the same. The Boston album is kinda bright the way it sounds, but this (along with let's say, Men At Work's "Business As Usual") suffer from the same EQ problem as CBS went into 1/2 speed remastering without dropping the EQ an octive while cutting. And boy, it shows! Gee, if I was tone deaf past 11k, it would sound pretty nifty!

The Wallys have the nice midrage and near-perfect vocal quality without boosting the highs or sacrificing the bass. You'll see! :)

Gardo likes this.
  25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

OK, for the S/T CD, does the zero in front also hold true for that? I saw a DIDP 020006 today at a store...is that one US or Japan? Is there a SQ difference in the S/T disc, early Japan one vs early US one???