What’s The Deal On The Church Heyday CD Remaster Sky High Prices?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by tomd, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Tried to purchase The Church-Heyday cd remaster.Most if not all of the cd remastered versions (1999) and later are north of $50! eBay had two at around $25+ .First one was falsely listed by seller as the 2disc remastered version (was just the single disc original) trying to get a refund thru PayPal.Second one ordered was apparently never shipped (I just received a refund) .If this title sans Starfish is the favorite among Church fans why hasn’t EMI answered the call and kept it in print or reissued the remaster on cd?? Very frustrating! Intervention PLEASE give us a SACD reissue of this

2. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

The 2 CD Australian reissues of the Church albums are all pretty scarce - the 2 CD version of P=A went for $152 US on Discogs in December.
    The US Second Motion reissues with the Marty written booklets were pulled when Steve Kilbey got upset about the lack of Royalties.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I don't know why the double-disc issues are so expensive. They were in print for a long time. I'd imagine they sold well, especially considering there was only one consistent series released before that (Arista) and to the best of my knowledge, that was only in the US and Canada.

As for the Second Motion issues, there was the ugly royalty situation, but Starfish and Of Skins And Heart are still in print, or at least plentiful. Why the others are so hard to find is a mystery to me, and I obsess about this kind of stuff. To the best of my knowledge, Second Motion never even did Gold Afternoon Fix, although WHY eludes me.

It's worth noting that EMI doesn't exist anymore. They went under in 2013 or thereabouts. Their roster was sold by artist to the big three: Universal got the Beatles and Sex Pistols, Warner (I think) got Pink Floyd, Sony got Queen. Arista, under the Sony umbrella, owns Starfish through Sometime Anywhere, but where the pre-Starfish rights are is a mystery.

That said, the sound quality of the whole remaster series is so atrocious that I'm honestly glad they're out of print. They are among the worst-sounding CDs I've ever heard, and I'm a fan of both Oasis and the Flaming Lips. Perhaps people are charging so much because they know you'll have grounds to sue them when you lose your hearing from these abominations. (It's still not stopping me from collecting them, of course.)

Telegram Sam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.