Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

What's the deal with selling things on Ebay these days?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ls35a, Apr 28, 2021.

1. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I imagine they do now - they encourage it (as do most platforms). When I joined cashing out with a check was a prominent option, but now they almost bury it as they discourage this. Either way, going forward E-Bay itself wants a bank account (and they own PayPal anyway) so it's all moot.

2. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Wrong ...Paypal and EBAY have been separate companies for MANY years now. Guess you don't follow the stock market?? :)

3. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ebay is doing what the Federal Government and the IRS require.

Hollygolightly likes this.
  4. Greek Nacho

Greek Nacho Responsible and Well-Adjusted Individual

Fascist sympathizers! Adherents? Enablers?

Ctiger2 likes this.
  5. ls35a

Yup.

6. darbelob

darbelob Forum Resident

I got my notice from eBay today that my seller earnings no longer will be deposited into my PayPal account even when the buyer pays by PayPal. This is so disappointing. I considered my PayPal account to be my fun money to buy mostly music (and to not have to answer any questions from the wife about how much I was spending. Not that the wife is an ogre or anything. I just liked having a little privacy and control in one small part of my life, which buying and selling using PayPal allowed).

This is doubly stupid on eBay’s part. I am not going to list on eBay if the seller’s money just goes into the family general fund and I am not to buy anything there once my PayPal balance runs out. Fortunately, I can get paid via PayPal selling in the forum, so I can get a little money to play with there. A lot of my PayPal money is from selling off a comics collection, so maybe I can find another place to sell where the money will go into my PayPal account.

I know that PayPal and eBay are two separate companies and have been for some time, but clearly they could have continued whatever contract they had with PayPal to remit seller earnings to the seller’s PayPal account. I have to assume that eBay figures this will benefit eBay in some way, but I think I am not the only one who is going to give up on them with this change.

I am a oldster and have seen so many good things disappear in the name of progress. Here we go again. Bummer, dude.

brother1002, Dave and SJP like this.
  7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There are several places you can open a free account which will collect eBay deposits and send you a debit card you can use most anywhere to withdraw the cash or buy things as you wish. I haven't been switched to the new eBay payment scheme yet, but I have an account at one of them (Chime) all set up and ready to go when they do. That wasn't the issue for me, it's that they want to sit on the money before they send it.

Obviously it will benefit eBay to receive all the payment fees themselves rather than give them to Paypal.

8. ls35a

I'm wondering why I haven't got this 'no more paypal' email. Maybe they're doing it by how much you sell?

We shall see. And yes, this is a major bummer. I have a two thousand dollar science fiction model collection I was going to sell this year.

9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

With me, I became aware of the change when I was going to list a few items a few months ago. EBay wouldn’t let me list without linking a bank and it was no big deal to forgo doing the listing. Months later, I am considering setting up a free simple checking account strictly for eBay stuff as I am getting to the point I want to thin out a lot of my book collection. I certainly am not going to link our families account w/thousands of dollars.....

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I've also never transfered sales money to my bank account. It's always stayed in my paypal account as a slush fund.

This is me exactly.

Last edited: May 12, 2021 at 1:01 AM
  11. Hollygolightly

Hollygolightly Active Member

I’ve been selling house hold goods, CDs, books, vintage clothing since 1998 on eBay, the irs now wants to track sales of 20,000 yearly with a 1099. eBay broke with PayPal I called to ask.. it’s no big deal your a garage sale selling used goods out of your home, the problem now is money gets transferred around 5 days later than PayPal would deposit it yet if it’s a hobby and your listings are free it’s no big deal just not an immediate deposit into your account.
    Sales tax has been taken out for a few years now , it’s a dollar or so less with eBay managed payments.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I got the notice of doom effective 5/21 and switched over one of my selling accounts today, pretty painless.