What's the difference between "Wings" and "Paul McCartney & Wings"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Got it the first time.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

McCartney didn't need ' Wings ' ( whatever that was ) to fly.

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

If you really want to cause a ruckus, suggest that there's no difference between Alice Cooper the band and Alice Cooper solo.

4. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Not much---it's still Macca.

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

[​IMG]

6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

7. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

[​IMG]

8. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Roughly 15 letters and spaces.

Lewisboogie and Guy Smiley like this.
  9. Mr Snow

Mr Snow Forum Resident

The fact is, and the point I was trying to make above, is that Paul himself casually swaps the name around and uses "Wings" songs as solo material ("Jet" for example, on Pure McCartney - think about that album title for a moment) and ("Another Day" on Wings Greatest - think about that album title too!). Sure, they sounded different to McCartney circa 1970, but they would have done with or without Lawrence Juber or Henry McCulloch. They were just session men, who were also needed on stage.

True, they were occasionally allowed to sing and record the odd song. Paul decided that, and let them do it. It was his gig. They did what he said.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Seems like a really goofy thing to argue about
    since you were managing a Toyota dealership.

PhoffiFozz and Guy Smiley like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think the name change mattered at all.

I think the 1971-72 "Wings" stuff sold less well than desired because it wasn't that good. Would "Wild Life" have been a bigger seller if it was from PM&W? Doubt it.

And would "RRS", "BOTR" and those big hit singles have been less successful as "Wings"? Doubt it.

I think the name was a scapegoating thing...

Farmer Mike likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

But this means that if Wings never existed and Macca was totally solo in the 70s, you assume his albums would've been substantially different.

I think they would've been somewhat different, as I think Denny Laine had some influence there.

But this was still Macca's baby and they were gonna do what he told him to do, so I think solo Macca in the 70s would've sounded 90% like Wings...

Farmer Mike and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Someone needed to post it! :D

Guy Smiley likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

abzach likes this.
  15. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I file all under "M."

ParloFax likes this.
  16. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

That's because Denny Laine was the one who quit Wings.

Denny Laine quits Wings

17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Goes under "B" for me. (Beatles)

I've gone back to filing things via "extended families," where I do that in a fairly subjective way based on the relative importance of artists for me. With the Beatles, I not only file solo Harrison/Lennon/McCartney/Starr as well as Wings etc. under Beatles, I also file Yoko, Sean, Julian, Dhani, etc. under Beatles.

Something like Traveling Wilburys, on the other hand, is filed under Bob Dylan for me rather than the Beatles (or Tom Petty, or ELO, or Roy Orbison). Again, I do this in a very subjective way based on how much I care about various artists, and sometimes based on what I see as the dominant "voice"/figure in a collaboration. There are also cases where I file something under multiple families.

Boognish and Mud Newt like this.
  18. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Mrs. Vanderbilt?
    :confused:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Rather unfair there - Linda was Jo Stafford, Helen Forrest, June Christy et al., vocally, compared with Yoko.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Two similar threads have been merged.

My record rack had all McCartney (solo, McCartney & Wings, Paul & Linda McCartney, Wings) filed under McCartney, Paul and all albums in chronological order.
    In my database I can have more than one artist name in artist sort (or album artistsort). My artist sort would be :
    McCartney, Paul; McCartney, Paul & Linda; Wings
    If I scroll to the "M"s all off McCartney's albums (including Wings, Linda, etc.) are listed. Scroll to the "W"s alnd all of the Wings only album are listed.
    I use an album sort like:
    -McCartney_1970-04-17a_McCartney
    to keep them in chronological order.

21. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Some people didn't know who the Wings were when Wild Life came out, hence the switch. After that it was back and forth.

22. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Paul himself says there’s a distinction in sound from a solo song and a Wings song. He wrote songs with Wings in mind. He could have very well taken his solo career in a different direction had their been no Wings. He went in the direction he did due to his creation of Wings and what he wanted Wings to be. That had an influence on the music. If he went purely solo with no Wings, we would not have gotten the albums we did because he wrote them as Wings albums. Even now when he writes he’ll sometimes say that a song has a Wings feel to it or a Beatles feel to it. That can’t be underestimated.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    JDeanB likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

I'd be interested to hear from people who were established music fans circa 1971-72. I was only 4 and 5 years old in that period and didn't know Beatles, McCartney or any of that, so I can't go with personal anecdotal impressions of whether or not people knew Macca = Wings.

From what I've heard in the past... people knew Macca = Wings, and the name wasn't the issue.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't see that "Wild Life" would've sold much better as "PM&W" just because it wasn't a good album.

And then Wings put out 3 singles in 1972, 2 of which weren't very good. Only "Hi Hi Hi" was a strong song - and unsurprisingly, it sold just fine in the US, as it got to #10...

24. Oatsdad

Oh, I'll underestimate it! :D

Again, I agree that the dynamic was somewhat different in Wings due to Denny Laine's presence, but I still think those albums would've been 90% the same if they were solo.

The Paul-sung songs, that is. Obviously the handful of songs sung by Denny Laine or others would've been different or not on the album at all...

25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

It didn't stick out to me as a Paul LP when I first saw it. By Red Rose Speedway he had some hits as Paul McCartney and Wings, so people were more aware it was Paul's band. His pic is also quite big on Red Rose Speedway. Wild Life was his only LP without an obvious single, which didn't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.