What's the difference between "Wings" and "Paul McCartney & Wings"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

But the thing is, those songs and albums would not have existed had there been no Wings. He wrote them to play as a band. They’re band songs.

There’s more to it than that. Look at every solo album by anyone and look at band albums that have have primarily one lead singer. They have a completely different sound and structure to them. It has little to do with who’s playing on it or not but the fact that band songs and solo songs have complete different feels to them.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think "Tomorrow" could've been a hit if released as a single.

It's also the only really good song on the album, IMO!

No Bull likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Vs. songs Paul would've played by himself?

Obviously I know he's done true solo albums in the past, but most of his material's been recorded with the support of others.

Not sure why you think Wings' existence as a named band makes them so much different than, say, the touring band Macca's had for the last 18 years...

4. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

?

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Apple Music lets you edit tags: I retagged everything to just be under Paul McCartney. There’s no difference in my mind, other than Wings albums being padded out with Denny Laine songs occasionally. I genuinely feel like the existence of Wings was more a psychological coping/deflection mechanism on Macca’s part than an actual band.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..oooooops...I shoulda gotten off my humpus and checked my 45. Okay...so one album and one single, still (My Love).

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I know what you mean. It seems he liked the idea of a band more than it being an actual band.

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

No, it's Paul, Linda, Denny and the other guys.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...allrighteee...doing well!!

10. Wildest cat from montana

I don't want to bash Linda. I like Linda but she added precious little to those albums.
    'Ram ' was released as being by Paul and Linda McCartney but I always felt that was a dodge on Paul's part ( possibly even suggested by Linda's dad , his new financial advisor ) to generate income by not having all the monies tied up in the legal morass of the Apple situation. It's my understanding that any monies owed to Paul or any of the other Beatles ) was being held until all the legalities were finalized. Any monies owed to Linda for this record were not held back.

DK Pete and mBen989 like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Didn't I read somewhere that one of the Winglets saw a story in the paper that Wings had disbanded? I think he called McCartney who brushed it off by saying : I meant to tell you "
    If true. very McCartney.

12. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Stirring things up a bit......:shh:

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, let's look at the discography, shall we?

Wings: Wild Life, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish"/(Version), "Mary Had a Little Lamb (with mint jelly)"/"Little Woman Love", "Hi Hi Hi"/"C Moon", "Listen to What the Man Said"/"Love in Song", Venus and Mars, "Letting Go"/"You Gave Me the Answer", "Venus and Mars"-"Rock Show"/"Magneto and Titanium Man", "Silly Love Songs"/"Cook of the House", "Let 'Em In"/"Beware My Love", "Maybe I'm Amazed"/"Soily", "Mull of Kintyre"/"Girls' School", "With a Little Luck/"Backwards Traveler"-"Cuff Link", London Town, "I've Had Enough"/"Deliver Your Children", "London Town"/"I'm Carrying", "Goodnight Tonight"/"Daytime Nighttime Suffering", "Old Siam, Sir"/"Spin It On", "Getting Closer"/"Spin It On", "Arrow Through Me"/"Old Siam, Sir", "Getting Closer"/"Baby's Request"

Paul McCartney & Wings: "My Love"/"The Mess", Red Rose Speedway, "Live and Let Die"/"I Lie Around", "Helen Wheels"/"Country Dreamer", Band on the Run, "Jet"/"Mamunia"/"Let Me Roll It", "Band on the Run"/"Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five"/"Zoo Gang", "Junior's Farm"/"Sally G"

The Country Hams: "Walking in the Park with Eloise"/"Bridge on the River Suite"

Suzy and the Red Stripes: "Seaside Woman"/"B Side to Seaside"

abzach likes this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There are a couple of ways to look at it and both, i think, are equally valid. What you're saying is certainly true but I have to ask, even though there are different sets of musicians on the post -Ram albums, in the end, these albums sound like Paul wanted them to sound. The musicianship was different/better than what we have on Ram or "McCartney" respectively but in the end "everything' got down to his approval. Far as the other guys having songs on Speed Of Sound or Venus and Mars, I actually always "felt" those songs as "break time" from the rest of the album as it played. For the most part they were relatively weak songs and it's truly as if Paul thought to himself, "we'll really make this a band and I'll allow Jimmy to have a song". Very contrived (by the way, I believe Jimmy was on a salary and not a very generous/fair one. Is this how a "band" operates?).

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Also a way to get around his contract with ATV Music.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Interesting

17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I disagree. Linda's voice is a key part of the Wings sound.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

"Mccartney's Wings"??? Is that a Japanese single??

19. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Soundtrack credit. 45 credit seems to vary

20. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

This particular cover is French.
    But I have an English single with that credit, too.

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Agreed. I think the underwhelming (at the time) response to his first couple solo LP's played a part in that as well, like maybe somehow it'd be easier if all the responsibility wasn't 100% on him (particularly when he started going out and playing live shows again) and he had a more full band sound to his records. I also think perhaps he valued having a second-string consistent player like Denny Laine to bounce things off of. But it was never a band, no matter how hard he tried to pretend it was.

22. vamborules

It wasn't a band in the sense of being democratic. It was never that. Paul was always the boss. But it was a band in the sense of having a distinct band sound. Lots of solo artists in the '70s made records with studio players. All of those records sound like they were made with studio players. Paul's don't...because he had a band.

23. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Exactly what I’m trying to say! That’s what makes them different than his touring band too! Wings had a distinct band sound.

24. vamborules

Also, when they toured it was as a contemporary band playing songs from records they all played on. Paul does a nostalgia show now.

25. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I guess luckily I'm not overly "OCD" about this, I let the metadata tag it, RRS and BOTR are Paul McCartney & Wings, Venus and Mars through Back to the Egg are Wings, Ram is Paul & Linda McCartney, everything else is Paul McCartney. On the CD shelf though everything is Paul McCartney, arranged by year starting with McCartney.

I can see the frustration though, I have a 1 TB micro SD card so it has a lot of music, so scrolling back and forth sometimes is tedious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.