What's the greatest moment of revenge in Music History?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Revenge is a pretty common thread running through a good bit of Dylan's best material. And this song may be the clearest distillation of that. But most of those songs are pretty coded. This one seems to be a bit more direct. Forgive my ignorance here, but do we know who is on the receiving end of his anger in this particular song? I've always wondered.

McLover and joy stinson like this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hey, Roger more or less goaded Gilmour into carrying on by telling him, "You'll never f--king do it (without me)". Mind ya, Rog getting Eric Clapton to play on The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking was a pretty good "f--k you" to Gilmour as well: "I can find a guitarist who's even better than you, Dave." Until Clapton had enough of Waters' attitude and bailed halfway through the tour, of course:laugh:

3. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation - named by Dunbar in ...well, retaliation to John Mayall firing him from the Bluesbreakers.

4. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Oh god, here we go. No contribution, only scolding from the easy-bag of usual accusations.

Anyhow...

Yeah, kaztor. I'd give Metal Machine 100 thumbs up if the forum had that option.

5. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

But Roger was the one who decided to bail out on the group, so in my opinion there was no reason for David to have revenge on him anyway. It all reflects badly on Roger's part.

Sean likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

May have been mentioned already, but - McGuinn and Hilmann kick Crosby out of the Byrds and appear to compound the insult by replacing his picture with that of a horse on the cover of an album in which he participated.

Crosby retaliates by forming a supergroup and becoming richer than Croesus. Then he makes sure he calls all the shots when producing a reunion album with his bandmates.

But what goes around comes around: Crosby is now the one begging for a Byrds reunion (because he’s ‘broke’, though what broke means to Crosby may be different to what it means to you or I) and it’s McGuinn who’s stalling over it.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Waters more or less dared Gilmour to carry on Pink Floyd without him, seriously thinking Gilmour wouldn't have the balls to do it...and at first he was correct, until Dave realized he was only putting 5000 bums on seats at a "David Gilmour" show but could get in 50000 bums on seats under the "Pink Floyd" moniker. As has been established in umpteen million Waters VS Gilmour/Pink Floyd discussions here, both sides handled the situation badly, as is usually the case...

Suffice it to say Gilmour got his "revenge" by packing in 50000 to a football stadium while Waters was playing to 5000 at the 20000 capacity hockey arena down the road from the football stadium:laugh:

joy stinson, Sean, Rojo and 4 others like this.
  9. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Ok troublemaker.

joy stinson likes this.
  10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It's your thread - what is your contribution?

11. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I think the opposite. Liam pursues a very predictable path with a bunch of pro-s, hired guns. Noel at least shows some range.
    I think that Oasis reunion is inevitable though.

12. George the Cat

George the Cat Forum Resident

What musical masterpieces like the frog chorus and Spies like us?
    Sometimes The Beatles bull—— really does grate you know.
    Oh and he ain’t worth billions, his ex said he was and was proven wrong.

13. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Ditto whoever was on the receiving end of You Oughta Know.

Sean, Herman Schultz, 51IS and 2 others like this.
  14. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

The song of John Fogerty "Zanz Kant Danz" about Saul Zaentz, Fogerty's former boss at Fantasy Records, who famously tried to sue Fogerty for plagiarizing himself (specifically his Creedence Clearwater Revival material, to which Zaentz held the rights) in the song "The Old Man Down the Road" from the same album.
    The song is about an unnamed street dancer and his sidekick, a pig trained to pick people's pockets as they watch the dancer do his stuff. The pig, originally named Zanz as a dig at Saul Zaentz, "Can't dance, but he'll steal your money - watch him or he'll rob you blind."

51IS, paolo, Dusty Sommers and 2 others like this.
  15. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Waiter, check please, I think we're done.

nicotinecaffeine likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Carly mentioned David Geffen at one point.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Not to mention their triumphant performance at Live Aid when the critics were saying they were no longer relevant.

[​IMG]

18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

DJ, Stephanie and Michelle would go into shock if it really is about Uncle Joey.

19. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Just the mental imagery of that song being about Coulier. Ughghgghhghghhghgh.

Sean, M321115 and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I had meant to say that he didn’t receive any money for “Incense”.

Mark Snowden likes this.
  21. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Dylan, Newport '65, going back on stage after the electric set, with his acoustic guitar and doing "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".

George P likes this.
  22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Ozzy starting up Ozzfest when Lollapalooza said they didn't want him.

23. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Columbia Records drops Chicago in 1980, after two relatively unsuccessful albums.

After signing to Warner, they release the platinum selling Chicago 16, followed Chicago 17, which becomes their best selling record.

24. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Interesting. I just looked up the lyrics and it seems more like a diss against the woman than James. The lyrics also give some clues as to why she might have left Joe, since he was apparently instructing her how to dress, how to wear makeup, and how to wear her hair.

25. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

I hope they got their revenge on whoever dressed them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.