What's the least talented band you love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Two Sheds, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

The Misfits

Jimmy B., ghoulsurgery and JuanTCB like this.
  2. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

this is a tough one to answer, because defining "talented" is kind of important before answering the question. does "talented" mean ability as a technician on an instrument or does it mean ability to create music i enjoy listening to? i guess i value the latter more, so i don't listen to things that i consider untalented. there are plenty of people who have average technical ability i enjoy listening to. moe tucker was brought up in earlier posts, she isn't a master technician, but she plays great stuff on great songs that makes her band sound different from anyone else. that is talent, to me.

elaterium likes this.
  3. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

I enjoy Wheelz of Steel.

"Why Me/Thrills"

4. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Here's two bands that I think are really interesting, but weren't all that great: Elephant's Memory and Lou Reed's touring band the Tots.

geo50000 likes this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

7. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Love is a strong word. For my money it's the Sex Pistols. Didn't write or produce much after a very short time, upon firing the main composer. They had limits on their talents, which were specialized, and all were a disappointment to some extent in the post foursome era. There have been a lot of words written about the pistols, and I believe half of them. They were important. But none of them ever had the spark to move forward into a post pistols sound, as I saw it. (Not a big pil fan here)

Fullbug and Two Sheds like this.
  8. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The Presidents Of The United States Of America

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm not sure that I can answer the question, but great username and avatar. Over and out...

Two Sheds likes this.
  10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I would argue that Cale was certainly the most skilled member of the group. Sterling was nothing special, Yule I don't really know, Lou was Lou. Good lyricist, some people love his guitar playing.

11. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Ouch! I love Sterling's guitar playing. Very special to me.

elaterium likes this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Hah! I used to be friends with Chris Ballew, we played music together a few times and I released one record with the 2 of us plus 2 other musicians called BALLS which I know Chris hates. While I have a Master's degree in music he was self taught and pretty limited technically, but he had great spirit, good rhythm, a good sense of humor and ambition which got him where he is. Their stuff is fun.

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

To my mind he didn't have a 'sound' or a style which particularly distinguished him. Just struck me as a competent, rudimentary guitar player. Maybe I need to give him a closer listen after all these years.

14. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

I still listen to my old punk favorites where talent was not the highest priority. The Ramones would probably top my list. X is one of my all-time favorites of that era but were/are relatively talented.

15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The Clash & The Damned and The Stones

16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Agreed! Manzarek and Krieger are great players. I like Densmore too. And don't see VDGG playing second fiddle to Yes or any other band.

My choice is the Fugs. They were literary types and intellectuals rather than top flight musicians.

qm1ceveb and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Flipper is probably my favorite one I’ve seen listed so far. I’d also nominate the Germs.

18. Evethingandnothing

I find his style instantly recognisable with those 1/4 note string bends and characteristic use of hammer ons. I love his tone on many of the records too. Indeed, I think Sterling's guitar work is what gives the majority of band's tracks their characteristic sound. Obviously Lou's rhythm guitar chops and feedback explosions are a big part of it too, but he ain't doing that all of the time.

19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Do you mean quarter tone string bends?

20. Evethingandnothing

Yeah. I guess that's what I meant to say. Halfway to a semitone.

elaterium likes this.
  21. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

If we separate them from Neil Young, then maybe Crazy Horse is my answer.

22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

True, but Ed Sanders always hired pretty good players to help out. I saw them last night. It was Ed’s 80th Birthday. They brought out a huge cake at the end.

Fullbug, ianuaditis and StarThrower62 like this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

One out of three... not so good. ;)

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don’t know, Pat is a pretty good guitar player. On “No God”, he even plays the intro to “Roundabout” and does a pretty respectable job at it.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Ahhhh right, I forgot about that part

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.