What's the most you ever spent on a laserdisc?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Atari265278, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got into laserdiscs late in the game (late '99/early '00) so I don't think I ever spent more than $10 for a new one, but I'd like to hear what some of you shelled out for them back in the day. :winkgrin:

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

$250 or something like that for a big boxed set? I think that's what the "Star Wars" "Definitive - HA! - Collection" cost retail in 1993...

3. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

^ Same as Oatsdad but for the '97 editions.

I've since sold about 75% of my LD collection and don't regret it a bit.

4. Oatsdad

Was the 1997 SE set as much as the DC? I thought the DC was more expensive. Maybe it was more than $250?

I don't miss those insane prices, and I can't imagine ever watching an LD again, but I do have nostalgia for the format. It just seemed SPECIAL, y'know? Big deluxe packages were an event!

DVD/Blu-ray is a huge step up, and it's awesome that packages with supplements that would've cost $150 on LD can be had for $10 on DVD. Still, I miss the excitement of LDs, if that makes any sense...

5. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I never owned the '93 DE set and am glad I didn't in retrospect - it's reportedly among the worst offenders of laser rot of any LD or LD set out there.

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Whatever The Beatles Anthology cost when it first came out in the Laserdisc box set. I don't remember anymore what the price was. For a single title, I would guess the most expensive were the Criterian CAV versions of A Hard Days Night and Help! It was so many years ago, I have put the prices out of my head.

7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

What was in the Definitive Edition that made them so definitive, and expensive? I got the 3 THX versions from Columbia House in mid-90s but those were just the standard price.

If I recall correctly, the price at Tower Records when it came out was about $200.

8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I paid $80 for the Japanese pressing of the Beatles At Budokan. That was a retail price, too..

9. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I think it was $75 for the Star Wars boxset and I don't remember how or why I got it so cheaply, maybe the closing days of the format. I'm happy to report there is no sign of laser rot on any of the discs. The next highest was $65 for Apocalypse Now. I still have most of my collection and a working player.

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I sprang for just about all of the classic Golden Age animation boxes that were ever issued.

Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, Betty Boop etc.

Each 4- or 5-disc set usually went for around $100. Not cheap.

But I'm glad to have them. Quite a bit of that content has not yet seen release on DVD.

11. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Criterion Adventures of Baron Munchausen back in 2004, about $50.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  12. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

The Deluxe Edition came in a case and the movies were CAV, not CLV like the standard releases. It also came with a hardcover book. That being said, I think my wife spent about $220 for it as a gift for me :love:, I spent $100 on the Beatles Anthology, and my Japanese release of Song of The South cost me about $75 for a single disc.

Not bad considering most new LD releases cost about $30-$40 each.

13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I can't recall spending more than $100. I tended to wait for stuff to be on sale or try for used....except for Song Of The South. I paid $200 for it.

14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The most expensive sets were the Criterion OTHELLO and BLOW UP (around $70 each) along with a Buster Keaton set that included Sherlock Jr., Steamboat Bill, and The General, along with many shorts like Cops.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Eeeeeeep.

I guess I feel a little better about the $80 I threw at mine.

:help:

16. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Yeah, I feel better about mine also. Back then, Ken Crane's was about the cheapest place to get imports, and they did get a lot of my money.

17. Rachael Bee

The new, list price ($80), copies were all gone by the time I wanted a copy. I've seen them exceed $300 on e-Bay. I saw a Hong Kong rental copy, with no subtitles at all, sell for $1100 on e-Bay. The Hong Kong disc was allegedly produced in a quantity of 40 or less.

18. Rachael Bee

I got about 75% of my new LD's from Ken Cranes. It was hard to beat their 20% off pricing and $1.50 per order shipping. I got their big, paper catalog twice a year.

19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Chinese-only, huh? I have to check that out if it ever falls below say $30... 我不是好与汉语,但是我享用它

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

That's where I ordered the majority of mine from also.

If that was the case, then Ken Cranes was probably in the $150-175 range. :shrug:

I forgot about that one, and the first Japanese releases of "Born To Boogie" and "Concert For Bangladesh"... those may have actually cost me more than the 2-disc CAVs of AHDN & Help (or really close).

21. Oatsdad

And it was a massive rip-off. That's why I call it the "Definitive - HA! - Edition" since it was far from definitive. The extras just weren't great - mediocre/boring commentaries and not much else.

It was a massive missed opportunity...

22. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Those Alien and Aliens sets were around $90 I think but so worth it. James Cameron went back and finished the special effects for the added scences specifically for the laser disc.

23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I remember those Ken Cranes sales. The checkout lines took an hour.

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Either $50 or $60, can't remember which, for Lawrence of Arabia Criterion Collection

25. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I can't really tell (and won't check) but I was going through my collection the other day and was surprised of the prices I paid. I believe there are some titles that I paid around USD 40 for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.