What's the "Next Big Thing" in Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SixtiesGuy, Mar 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the next big thing, instead of being gear related, was health related?

How many of you, if given a choice, would pick a $1,000,000 stereo over a Tinnitus Cure?

2. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Well that would be wonderful, but this goes for any serious health issue that one may be suffering from. Health is the most important, also to be able to enjoy audiophile music reproduction.

Tullman and ddarch like this.
  3. William Bryant

Yes, but some health issues are greater impediments to enjoying audio than others. I have arthritis in my feet. A cure there would make me able to hike again but it would be relatively unimportant with regard to my enjoyment of music.

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  4. LakeMountain

Sorry to hear that. It is also bad enough not to be able to hike again, but indeed luckily no problem for enjoying music.

William Bryant likes this.
  5. LakeMountain

On topic, I would say holographic (live) performance in your living room. It is already been done in concert halls with diseased artists.

However, if I would have to choose between holography or a new vinyl revival due to better and new cutting techniques, I would bet on the latter. I think human nature prefers tangible, crafted things over hi tech in their living environment once the newness has worn off. For example, you can observe the same trend in interior design, the sleek modern look is in retreat and antique, rustic designs are reviving.

ddarch likes this.
  6. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I see Room Correction and HD Vinyl on the horizon

LakeMountain likes this.
  7. William Bryant

What is HD vinyl? 95 rpm, 18-inch records?

CDV likes this.
  8. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

ddarch likes this.
  9. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

After this pandemic, this will become reality. I watched the band Start Making Sense on my iphone on the second or third day of the lock down here in NY. I must say it was eerie, but enjoyable. We can adapt.

And gathering in crowds had become tiresome for me starting a few years ago (I'm rapidly approaching 40). People are tiresome to be around when tightly packed like sardines.

10. LakeMountain

This the guy who is backed by companies like Audio-Technica, Sony and Ortofon, see here:
    We will have to wait and see....

11. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

The next big thing may not be directly related to gear all - it could be better physiological understanding of how our brains work in perceiving sound and music. This information could then be better applied to enhancing our listening experiences through music reproduction systems.

vconsumer likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'beats' earbuds?

or do they already exist?

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

my oldest daughter has studied nutritional medicine and there are ways to help offset arthritis symptoms (and many other conditions) focusing on certain foods to include and avoid as well as beneficial supplements. not an instant answer but something that helps long term and worth investigating. the science is just beginning to take off.

14. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Tiny 'smart' patches capable of vibration attached or implanted on each eardrum so that streaming music they receive and process causes them to vibrate in such a way that the user 'hears' the music in stereo full range, each ear adjustable for volume and frequency response.

15. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

How about an affordable 3D printer good enough to make your own LPs from downloaded libraries?

trd likes this.
  16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

The next best thing when?? I don't think anything right now or in 5yrs.......Ask the question again in 10yrs.

17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

For audiophiles: If Schiit actually follow through with that (admittedly far-fetched of an idea of) software that fixes the dynamic range problem with music abused by the Loudness Wars.

For all else: Something "convenient" that has diminishing returns and provides less choice/interaction.

18. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Taking vintage recordings and remixing them into "simulated 5.1."

19. LakeMountain

Uh, I hope not:tsk: (sorry :shrug:).

F1nut likes this.
  20. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Just select "matrix" or "rock arena" mode on your AVR and Bob's your uncle!

21. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Hey, I didn't say I wanted it to happen, just that it might be the next big thing.

LakeMountain likes this.
  22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It will be whatever the audio related companies think they can make money from by getting suckers to dump previous formats for new ones that are no better and that the end user doesn't actually own. Oh wait, that's happened already.

trd and LakeMountain like this.
  23. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love Thread Starter

The marketplace has, on occasion, managed to weed out products such as Philips' Digital Compact Cassette, that weren't well conceived.

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The market is video driven. Audio is a portables market now, and wireless earbuds are already a "thing", so I'd say that was the "next big thing". Big as in small, miniaturization and even disappearance of audio gear is the future that the tech guys are working on now. So, smaller, invisible, virtual, etc are on the forefront. All of it just to support video or get out of the way completely. I know, it sucks in a big way.
    -Bill

trd and LakeMountain like this.
  25. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love Thread Starter

I suspect you are correct that audio is nowhere near the level of importance to American consumers that it was thirty or more years ago. So sadly, since the market continues to shrink, it's likely that research and development efforts will focus elsewhere. The landmark developments in audio of the past were driven by the rise in popularity of the critical enjoyment of music. I'm afraid that is long gone now for the bulk of the public. Music just isn't as central to most people's lives.

LakeMountain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.