What's the "Next Big Thing" in Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SixtiesGuy, Mar 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

The only engineering challenge left is the acoustics of the listening environment which are the dominant performance factor.

So I think improving sophistication of EQ systems and their rollout to the masses is the last remaining thing. Most people who listen to speakers do so through a soundbar and (maybe) a subwoofer which will clearly benefit.

I have experimented recently with DIRAC and was impressed. EQ has come a long way in 10 years.

I also predict (sadly) that we are moving in a direction where the supply of mains electricity will eventually become regulated. By this I mean automation of the home will become sufficiently sophisticated that your electricity supplier knows exactly which device (make and model number) you are wanting to use the second you switch it on. I think once that happens the market will try and move away from unconstrained physical ownership of equipment and towards a 'lease' model. You pay through regulated electricity for the right to use the equipment.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The greatest diet in the world ain’t gonna fix damaged cartilage.

3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Nice if the 'Next big thing' is a complete re-working of streaming service models so artists* get a) meaningful payment; b) more control over content/format**

*Yes, or record companies.

**eg not MQA only

Stanton56, shug4476 and CLaytonpd like this.
  4. CLaytonpd

CLaytonpd Active Member

I have and enjoy the Don Grusin piano recording that his studio produced. And it is wonderful. His set-up disc is very helpful for speaker placement and nailing down depth, too.

5. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The next big thing is coming soon, iPhone multi-channel audio/video processing to TV and active speakers. This will end the need for source components as well as processing components needed for recorded music entertainment.

Hardcore likes this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

there are many foods and supplements that have anti inflammatory properties.

trd likes this.
  8. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The next big thing will be standard res lossless and high-res lossless audio. Don’t get me wrong, it already has been here for some time! But Apple will act like they invented it, and it won’t be until they say it’s cool that everyone will suddenly start caring about it. In reality, they’ve been lagging far behind the rest of the industry when it comes to anything involving audio. They are still stuck in 2003.

After that, high fidelity wireless protocols. The current ones either don’t cut it, and if there are good ones then they aren’t in widespread use.

The day a mass market wireless earphone (like the AirPods) aren't reliant on a lossy communication standard (like AAC) will be a good day indeed.

But that won’t happen until Apple embraces lossless audio. The shortcomings of their digital offerings will make their own hardware look bad, and vice versa.

dreamingtree1855 and Khorn like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

True, cabbage and other fruit.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

Compact Discs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.