What's The Point Of These Bands Still Going On?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MIKEPR, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

So back on topic -
    The point of these bands going on is for members to collect checks and pay bills they accrue in life as a result of living and breathing.
    Some of it is for legacy - I suppose. Maybe some members feel a 'holy mission' to keep the 'legacy' band going no matter if there are zero original members.
    I guess these musicians have their reasoning but I think it mostly comes down to money.

I you don't like it - don't go and see it. I don't and I feel just fine.

Crimson Witch and WalkAThinLine like this.
  2. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Forum Resident

So many of these bands are past or approaching 50 years in the business. It make me wonder what bands from 1919 we would have gone to see in 1969.....

agundy, oldsurferdude and Jimmy B. like this.
  3. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

They must not have written any songs that were enduring because I haven't heard them.

4. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Forum Resident

5. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

6. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Why on Earth would you stop doing something you love, have talent in, and get paid to do?

I wouldn't and neither should they.

nodeerforamonth and DiabloG like this.
  7. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Sometimes the singers get too old, have no voice left and it's an embarrassment for them and the fans to watch that....and I'd rather remember them how they were in their younger days. When they start to lose their voice, look like shriveled prunes and wear adult diapers, at some point they have to hang it up......no shame in "aging", it's just knowing when to call it a career.

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Most musicians at some very early point in their life got into performing music because they loved doing it long before the money came. I don't think that love for performing piece ever really leaves most artists.

WalkAThinLine and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  10. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I think "money" isn't really the reason the older singers continue to sing. I just think they love singing and would be lost without music and singing and doing concerts. They probably would be bored sitting in a rocking chair.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  11. If I might: Why does anyone go see a Shakespeare play? Will has been dead a very long time and none of the original actors are still around.
    Why does anyone go to an opera by Mozart? Wolfie died a long time ago, and certainly none of the players are still around.
    :pineapple:

lambfan68 likes this.
  12. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Plays and operas were written to be performed by different ensembles, whereas most rock bands tend
    to be member specific or mostly member specific. If most of the principal members are gone it's not the same anymore. Would you go see Cream if
    it was just Ginger Baker and 2 other guys?

WalkAThinLine likes this.
  13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

You might as well be asking "Why do people listen to stuff I don't like?"

There may be low demand for these legacy bands, but as long as people are willing to pay and attend, who are we to say they should stop?

14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Saw the thread title and my first thought was : "What's with all the Greta Von Zeppelin threads lately ? "

D.D.

15. With that logic, eventually no one would be able to perform music by JHE, RS, Beatles, Who, Radiohead, et al, as all of the principal members would be gone, sometime between now and 100 years. Yes, apples and oranges are the last refuge of some in history.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

1. huh?
    2-4: emphatic yes, maybe yes, and definitely yes.

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Hopefully great music will continue to be played forever. I see more and more touring tribute shows, particularly with local orchestras in their concert halls, playing Queen, Prince, Aretha, etc. But they're not being billed as those bands. There's a difference between seeing something called "Chicago" and what it should be, like "the music of Chicago performed by Robert Lamm, whatever horn players show up, and some other dudes who weren't on any of these records."

That isn't putting anyone out of a job, just hate seeing great and sacred band names being dragged through the mud like that.

18. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

1910 Fruitgum Company?...

Rock66, squittolo and carlwm like this.
  19. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Like , how much ?

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

21. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think bands should go on as long as they have the energy, desire, ability and health to perform AND as long as people want to pay them to play music that they want to hear.
    I think fans who complain about this are fans that are miffed that the band kept going after they lost interest in them.

zen, carlwm and vivatones like this.
  23. koshrecords

koshrecords NZ-based Xennial, Manics expert

Both were NZ$100 - about US$65. McCartney actually had seats about $10 cheaper than that, but they'd sold out. The reason I say $100 is cheap is 'cause acts that big usually cost two or three times that here. It was shocking to find out McCartney and Waters charged less than Blondie, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Roses, etc. Some acts of that stature charge three times as much, minimum.

kanakaris likes this.
  24. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

it's important these bands do go on for three main reasons

1.to entertain those who still attend the concerts and enjoy them
    2. Money for the people in each band
    3.to get right up the noses of those 'fans' who can't handle change re personnel or musical style over time and give them something to bleat about forevermore...

brankin172 and carlwm like this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

Interesting hypothesis. I've often wondered if they're just complaining because all their favorites split up and have nothing new to look forward to; while other peoples favorites continued on...and get to enjoy new albums.

JoeF. and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.