What's the right ratio of CD player cost / TT cost to get similar sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adagio, Nov 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Gee, Thanks ... Not!
    In truth, I cannot think of many Brits who do not distinguish correctly between USA, America (the continents) and North and South America individually. Those that do are generally not worth the conversation, much like those in the USA and the ROTW who confuse England with Great Britain and/or the United Kingdom.

GyroSE, Pastafarian and jonwoody like this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And we already have enough in the UK that refer to England when they should be referring to the UK...

GyroSE, jonwoody, norliss and 2 others like this.
  3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Well, if you just want to get rid of it and want someone else to put it to good use, you can always try to sell some crates of records/cds at once.
    But if you have to sell decades of records you've bought and want a decent price for it, it's a lot of work.
    It's like having decades of work to catch up on.

I only own about 250 to 300 records and my collection is always changing; I keep records I play frequently and sell records I don't really listen to.
    I've also sold most of the DJ records I owned, except for just a few that have sentimental value to me.
    On average, I play about one record a day (some days none, some days a few), so 300 records are enough.
    That, and the new purchases throughout the year, can get me through a full year of record playing.
    The only downside is that I always have to keep a few of those cardboard record mailers from purchases (about 5 to 10), so I can recycle them for my sales.
    That's just one box filled with those things, so that's doable.
    You just have to make choices of what to keep and what to let go, so that could be a downside to indecisive people, but that doesn't really matter to me that much.
    I've earned more money on selling records than I've spend on them.

bever70 likes this.
  4. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well, I wasn't talking about 2021. You know that history have a real impact in the present times.

"Los Angeles" is not called that way because it was born as an US population, as an example :)

5. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

A number of years ago I was in a shop in Callais buying a Nintendo Wii (supplies were very limited in the UK) and a scouser woman asked me

"Will these weerrccchhh in England?"

to which I replied dead-pan:

"Oh, they'll definitely work in Wales, I don't know about England".

You'd have been forgiven for assuming she'd give a wry smile and understand my little bit of sarcasm but she gave me a look of utter confusion and was left standing there none the wiser to the question she'd asked. Now if she'd asked "Do these work in the UK?" I'd have said "Perfectly, you just need a 2pin-3pin adapter plug". :)

addicted2, jonwoody and Brother_Rael like this.
  6. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The name Los Angeles like so many places in the Staes has a clear Hispanic origin, be it directly from Spanish settlers or the Mexican move into what is now the SW USA.

But these problems of misuse of names persist in 2021 and you referred to an instance that occurred just a couple of days ago.

7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I was talking about my record collection. Bought most of my +2k records in the 90's in 2nd hand stores at an average of $0.5 per album. I have sold maybe 50 albums over the last few years which was enough to recover my 'investment' in those +2k records.

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I heard the Saturn R and the Rega DAC R. the same DAC as the Saturn, I went with the DAC R fronted by a computer, total cost £800, the Saturn R, £1700, the Saturn had the edge but the DAC R was £900 cheaper.

I've got many needledrops form my LP12, Ekos, Troika and playing them now is extremely close to the SQ or of the turntable., so I suspect the ratio is greater than your figure

9. Pastafarian

Don't blame us for making you think the UK isn't in Europe:laugh:

GyroSE and MGW like this.
  10. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

What is not specific to a region ;) is that comparing CD’s with vinyl records or even CD recordings and vinyl recordings with each other is like comparing apples with pears simply because the mastering is different.

In the end I got a recording that had identical mastering for vinyl and CD specifically for the purpose of comparing CD and vinyl, respectively to find out whether any of the two could be upgraded.

I have upgraded both on vinyl and CD side and now my $2k CD system and $8k vinyl set up sound basically the same with the same mastering (and fantastic!).

KT88 and MGW like this.
  11. bever70

It's apples and oranges, appelen en peren in het nederlands ;).

LakeMountain likes this.
  12. Pastafarian

It seems to me that comparing a needledrop to the turntable is a sensible comparison of digital v anologue.

13. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I have a Technics SL G700 CD/SACD player these days/currently. It cost me 3000ish bucks and doubles up with streaming capability.

In the past, I've had upto a 10k ish SME and way more spent in cartridges. It all sounded lousy as sht next to my SACD player. I have audited TTs that cost upto the 20k to 30k range. I would say go up to a 100k if you want to. It will still sound lousy as sht next to some 3000ish dollar SACD player...Good luck to your wallets, O great vinylplastic fans, I wish ye all great luck.

14. bever70

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Same old yada yada yada :o:o.

LakeMountain, KT88 and MGW like this.
  15. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

When this thread started I didn't realize that the OP had an older Saturn, I thought he had the latest model.
    I have one of the older Saturns and a good turntable with the 2M Black.
    I do a of CD-Rs from albums and the Saturn sounds smoother than the actual album. It sounds good but there is a difference, the album seems to have a bit more dynamics to it. Either one of acceptable but different.
    If anyone has a 2M Black and a current Saturn I'd be real interested in hearing your thoughts about a CD-R made from an album and then played on the Saturn.

16. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

For me all the angst stopped once I found success with a LOMC vinyl rig and at the same time upped my digital game with a ladder DAC.
    To my ear both approaches are entirely satisfying AND they sound pretty close to each other in some ways.
    Cost wise it is a toss up.

By the time you add a laptop or streamer that won't glitch (about a grand?) to the DAC (a couple of grand?) you are around three grand total.
    Add up my table (a grand) my phono pre (a grand) and my cartridge (a grand) and you are talking the same money.

So for ME three grand in both formats has merit as I can't complain about the SQ any longer.
    My two cents.

17. LakeMountain

Thanks and it seems that I got it wrong: there is a difference between regions :D.

bever70 likes this.
  18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Can't wait for the 8-Track & Cassette ratio...….

curbach likes this.
  19. LakeMountain

I think a needledrop may be different as it does not involve reading pits and lands via an optical drive.

20. Pastafarian

At the time I was doing the needledrops and comparison I was playing a burnt CD-R on my Meridian 507 CDP, which seems to negate your concern.

Now I am playing the file, from which the CD-R was burnt and it's significantly better than the Meridian, which does have the variable you raise (I think??)

LakeMountain likes this.
  21. LakeMountain

This seems indeed to be a good and interesting test!

It shows that a good CD transport and DAC do matter. Just a bit of a bummer that the Meridian exhibits a “significant” difference. Or could be the CD writer?

In any case it is also widely accepted that for example analogue to digital ( and back to analog) through DSP yields no audible difference, for example, the Sugarcube - or Puffin phono pre amps.

22. Pastafarian

The demise of the Meridian was a sad event, which caused my switch to the Rega DAC R, so the outcome was a welcome surprise.

LakeMountain likes this.
  23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

then why are you trying to find some magical ratio?

24. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Yamaha CD-S300 for $300 matches my Technics SL-1210GR with KAB ProS40 (Ortifon Sty40 Fitz Gieger on par with a 2M Black) for the most part. Running through a Yamaha A-S1100 to Harbeth P3ESRs or Klipsch Heresey IIIs. I find the mastering and the listening level to be the biggest factors in sound quality. There is definitely a sweat spot when it comes to volume.

SoNineties likes this.
  25. bangkok19

bangkok19 I drank to your health, but ruined mine!

I find myself using my CD Player less and less these days.
    I'm digitizing my vinyl and including them with my CD music files to play from my Laptop through my system.

If there was a ratio for cost for CDP and T/T quality compatibility you must also include the cartridge as well.
    A rough round figure (price) ratio would be:-

CDP - $1,000
    T/T- $1,000
    Cart - $500

The only change I would make (to the above) would be a better cartridge maybe.
    Of course then there's the question of the phono pre-amp...................................................................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.