What's the right ratio of CD player cost / TT cost to get similar sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adagio, Nov 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I think for the most part my CD playback easily outperforms my turntable for all but the most impeccably pressed, maintained and setup LPs. There are exceptions, but as someone said, at this level the quality of recording and mastering is by far the bigger difference than the actual format…

Ste_S and Archimago like this.
  2. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

No question that cart and phono stage need to be included otherwise you won’t get much sound out if your speakers :tiphat:.

3. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

A good stand alone transport with a very good master clock is, in my opinion e best bang per buck
    you can pick up an audiolab 6000CDT for under £400 and coupled with a decent DAC it will compete with CD-players costing many thousands

mreeter likes this.
  4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Buy the TT & cart that you want.

Buy the CD player that you want.

mreeter and matrix-6 like this.
  5. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Best advice right there.

6. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Hi:

I think u can get better sound from an inexpensive CD player than an inexpensive TT. I'm using a very inexpensive Sylvania CWD player running through the CD inputs on my Yamaha 501 integrated Amp. It doesn't sound as good as my AT WP7 TF, but it prob sounds better than my entry level Sony 300 TT.

That Sony coat $150. The CD $30

addicted2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.