What's the speed of your turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33.80 RPM on my Rega Planar 2. Now to figure out how the heck to get the table to spin at an accurate rate. Any ideas?

And thanks to the OP for pointing out this app - very cool!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Closer to the edge was the trick. Consistently 33.33. So my Pioneer PLX -1000 is spot on.

MadMelMon likes this.
  3. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Really? My iPhone 6 works fine from the center... Will try from the edge and see what happens...

MadMelMon likes this.
  4. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

In most cases, it's probably fine spinning on the center like that. But if there's doubt, the edge is going to be the more trustworthy of the two methods.

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I have adjusted my rebuilt Duals by ear. With the pitch adjustment knob centered, the tapered drive pulley can be raised/ lowered to achieve 33 1/3 RPM, 45 RPM, and 78 RPM, hopefully very close to that for each speed. Having near perfect pitch makes that possible, and having verified by tuning fork or guitar tuned to pitch with the record playing. Ideally, the pitch should be adjusted with a record playing.

And Yes, ideally a calibrated test tone record is "officially" accurate, however does not impose the same drag as normal music program does. I have found most LP records are cut to the correct pitch. (but not the 45's) If 9 out of 10 records play at the same pitch, it is more than reasonable that the 9 are correct. The pitch can be verified by strobe or i phone, because really I am "splitting hairs" by suggesting to set the pitch with the record playing. The conventional methods are close enough IMO.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, that's how I could tell my RP8 was fast. I play bass, and things were just "off" on the material I was familiar with.

7. TVC15

Any Rega owners with 'accurate' speed who haven't either switched to Little Belters or (like me) gone 'all the way' with an RP10 speed controller?

8. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

My turntable is completely still.

The platter rotates at roughly 33 1/3 RPM.

But all of that is relative as we are hurtling through space at around 1000 MPH.

[​IMG]

HiFi Guy, Beet and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The rotation of the Earth and its gradual slowing down, the moon, the sun, and their tidal pulls, the continental drift, the Earth's robust magnetosphere, the inevitable collision of the Milky Way with Andromeda, the fact we are hurtling through space in the pattern of a slinky, and that there is a massive black hole at the center of our galaxy, does not affect the rotation of a turntable!

Jack Flannery likes this.
  10. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Really wish I hadn't done this!

From the RPM Calculator app on my S5, and RP3 with TTPSU, white belt, and Tango Spinner sub-platter I got 33.8 and 45.7.

Never tried any other method to validate that app accuracy though.

Also tried the original plastic sub-platter and got the same results.

Always felt it ran slightly fast in that when starting same CD and LP simultaniously the latter would get a bit ahead after a few tracks.

11. james

james Summon The Queen

sonnova. I had been measuring on the label. i just moved the phone to the outside of the platter and got 34RPM.

Groovertracer or Falcon PSU. that is the question.

12. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

If you have a Rega table and are running 33.7 or greater the Edward Audio Little Belter should help tremendously.

james likes this.
  13. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I might well just try that - thanks.

Can see on the Amazon (UK) link for it that a review specifically says 'This belt has my Rega running at exactly 33.33 RPM. Previously, with the Rega White Belt, I was running at 33.6 RPM' .

Must say when you get the TTPSU and white belt you'd kinda hope...

14. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I just recently picked up a Rega P5 with TTPSU. It initialy measured at ~33.7 - 33.8 with the android RPM Calculator app. I then put on a new belt and it went down to ~33.4. My VPI is packet up as we are moving but I will measure that when it gets unpacked.

15. Urban_boogie

Urban_boogie Well-Known Member

Music Hall MMF 7.1 with Phoenix Falcon/Roadrunner pretty solid at 33.334; it takes a few moments to settle.

floweringtoilet likes this.
  16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I don't wanna know.

Mugrug12, The FRiNgE and rtrt like this.
  17. TVC15

Word of caution: My RP8 ran at 33.6 but the edwards belt slowed it down to 33.2. Also didn't measure as stable.

Shiver likes this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

My Linn is at 33.37, so it's a little fast but I'm probably not going to do anything about it.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just went through the off speed nightmare.

1. Get a new belt if the old one has a lot of use.

2. Make sure to oil the motor by removing the flywheel and the brass ring below the flywheel. The process is easily done be removing the set screws with an allen wrench. Put a few drops of 40 weight oil right below where the brass ring was sitting. MY INSTRUCTION MANUAL DID NOT EXPLAIN THIS PROCESS! I found this out from a VPI TT tech. After proper oil application my TT runs beautifully.

I use a KAB Speedstrobe and a VPI SDS to adjust the speed of my VPI TT. The SDS is recommended.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Tried to send you a PM on this but for some reason it won't let me. Is there anyway you could snap a picture of the set screws (and where you place the oil) you are talking about as I have always wondered about properly oiling my Classic. Thanks a ton!

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

When the problem is running fast, it seems like a tighter belt and lubricant wouldn't slow it down but rather speed it up.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

True, my TT was running slow. The motor does need oil to run at a proper speed, though.

How old is your belt?

Do you notice the music pitch being a bit sharp? Is this why you used the speed app?

With the motor and belt right, the SDS does the rest and can be dialed right in. The TT will perform better and sound better IMO. But..You go from a $3000 TT to a $4200 TT with a separate power supply.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My wife is out with the camera. The flywheel holds the belt. Remove the belt. Look at the bottom of the flywheel there are two set screws, you will have to turn the flywheel to see both set screws. Remove set the screws with an allen wrench. The brass ring is right below the flywheel and you will have to turn the brass ring to be able to see both set screws. Remove brass ring set screws. Put the drops of oil around the shaft it will seep into the motor. Put on reading glasses so that you can see.

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The belt and the table only has about five months of use on it. I was perfectly happy, I only checked because of this thread. I will buy the power conditioner at some point. It seems like that is the best solution.

25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

33.32 according to Turntabulator on my Music Hall MMF-7 with the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.

[​IMG]

TVC15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.